Our little 5x8 Continental Cargo

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Our little 5x8 Continental Cargo

Postby mikesova » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:00 pm

I don't have a cool build thread to share, since my wife and I bought the trailer already converted, but I thought I'd share it and the little things we've done to it.

We bought it in 2014 from a couple that had converted it for a roadtrip out west in 2013. We got it a couple weeks before a trip we made out west to Yellowstone.

ImageUntitled by mikesova, on Flickr

When we got it, the kitchen was built in the back, the inside was tiled, the walls covered in speaker type carpet, and had interior cupboards. This is how we took it out west. Except I added a tv mount for a tv I picked up at garage sale. (which I later removed when I discovered the mount was cracking.) If we ever put another tv in, it will be a flat screen, but with technology nowadays, it probably would be better to just put a tablet mount on the wall instead.

One other thing I did before we left was build a power pack. Basically, it consists of a battery in a box with a power inverter mounted to it. The trailer is wired for 110v to be plugged in the side. That runs the light in the kitchen as well as the outlets in the kitchen and inside the trailer.

We spent multiple nights on the way out and the way back parked in Wal-Mart parking lots. That's one of the big reasons we wanted a hard sided trailer over a pop-up.

One of the problems we had was the air mattress that we got with the trailer. We didn't think about a potential problem. We traveled from Michigan to Montana and went through some major elevation changes. While we were staying in Big Sky for the week at a house that my in laws rented, the mattress over inflated itself. It ended up popping while we were on our way home through Yellowstone. After replacing the air mattress out west, I came home and shoe horned a real full size mattress into the trailer. It's 100x better.

On our way back to Michigan, I had arranged to stop in Indiana at the Continental Cargo factory to pick up a set of utility racks for the roof. We wanted to be able to haul our kayaks with us on other trips. I tried using my Thule J-hooks on them but they didn't work very good. What did work are the chinese ones you can get on ebay for 30 bucks. They work perfectly. ;) I also got a set of chinese saddles so we'd have variety. The pegs are to help get up higher to get the boats on the rack.

We've used it quite a bit since Summer '14. One handy thing is the Texsport Spinnaker shade that I got for the back. It's perfect to protect the kitchen area from sun/rain.

The original owners set up the trailer to accept a pop up awning tent thing. I've only set it up once, it's kind of a hassle.

I added a decal to the door to show where we're from.

..and just for fun, here's some more pics.

The only thing that I wish it really had is a front rack with a spot to mount a motorcycle. Then it would be perfect.
mikesova
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Our little 5x8 Continental Cargo

Postby mikesova » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Oh, shoot. I meant to post this in the cargo trailer section. Could a moderator move it?
mikesova
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:25 am

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Flynnworx » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:04 am

Nice pics! Keep your great little trailer busy!!!
Flynnworx
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:44 am

No worries about the post, it's all good & after all, it is a build. Looks like a nice way to travel & glad the mattress issue was resolved. Great pictures!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikesova » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:59 am

Thanks for the kind words.

One other thing I forgot to mention. The trailer came wired from the factory with exterior lights trailer lights and it came with 2 over head lights inside the trailer as well as a wall switch. The only way you could run the interior lights would be if the trailer was attached to the tow vehicle and the headlights were on. Not an ideal situation. So, at first I made an adapter that plugged into the 4 way trailer plug that sent power to the trailer from the power pack. The problem with that is, in order to run the interior lights, all the lights on the trailer would be on, brake lights, side markers, etc. Again, not ideal.

So, I ended up isolating the overhead light circuit and powered only the light switch externally using one these on the outside of the trailer

It would definitely is easier dealing with these issues AS you were putting the trailer together, rather than after the fact. ;)
mikesova
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lrrowe » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:11 am

mikesova wrote:I don't have a cool build thread to share,

We've used it quite a bit since Summer '14. One handy thing is the Texsport Spinnaker shade that I got for the back. It's perfect to protect the kitchen area from sun/rain.

The original owners set up the trailer to accept a pop up awning tent thing. I've only set it up once, it's kind of a hassle.

Welcome to this site. You should have a lot of fun with it.
I like your awning at the back end. I have been tossing ideas around and will add yours to my collection. Texsport Spinnaker you say? I will google them to see what I can find.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby mikesova » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:00 pm

Yep, got it on amazon. I think they are around 40$. They don't come with poles, so you need to add a couple adjustable tent poles.
mikesova
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikesova » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:53 pm

I've done a couple things that I'd like to share:

I added a Vortex fan to the vent.

I mounted a ram ball to the wall and have an X-grip for a tablet. Amazon prime allows you to temporarily download content to your device, so you can watch stuff w/o wifi or data signal. (rainy days only)

This I actually did last fall, I had found a small 12v heater and thought it might be nice to take the chill off, if it's ever an issue. It's marketed as a heater/aux defroster for a car.

mikesova
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikesova » Sat May 28, 2016 10:17 pm

even better, I found a used 19" tv locally for 30$. Score!

mikesova
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Build Journals