Kind of like a Grumman

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Kind of like a Grumman

Postby Dusty Mark » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:57 am

Your metal-framed foamy build is awesome. The attention to detail is top flight. It looks like you're on track for your WI trip! :applause:
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:10 am

Yeah, and I like the way you roll formed the hatch struts, too. Very elegant and I bet they fit nicely when closed, too. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ELM » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:26 am

Dusty Mark wrote:Your metal-framed foamy build is awesome. The attention to detail is top flight. It looks like you're on track for your WI trip! :applause:

Thanks
Wisconsin trip is 10 weeks from now :frightened: but :) That ten weeks is going to fly by. I'll just keep plugging away at it.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:47 am

KCStudly wrote:Yeah, and I like the way you roll formed the hatch struts, too. Very elegant and I bet they fit nicely when closed, too. :thumbsup:

Thanks KC
I was going to use gas struts. But after reading about all the problems guys were have figuring out the right weight of strut to get and the fact that I'm use a plastic hinge. I didn't know if the gas strut would put pressure on the hinge when closing the hatch so I decided to keep it simple and go with prop rods. Aluminum siding is next and I'm still deciding weather to glue it on or float it. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Here's the under side of the galley with the birch glued on and a few coats of poly.
I'm getting closer. :D
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:31 pm

Here's an update. I got the hatch back on and it still fit good but I needed to in large the holes where my latch rods go into the side of the frame. I need to take a picture of the hatch installed.
I found some knobs I like for the most part.
I decided to jazz up the knobs a little. First I machined a dash in them.
And then I epoxied some glass we found at Glass Beach in Fort Bragg CA about a year ago.
Next I finally found a place to put my towel hanger that found about six years ago and thought it would be nice for a Tear Drop trailer that thought I would like to build some day. :D
And the towel hanger opened up.
And then closed up. I think the Galley is very close to being done. :) I think the only things left to do is install the Galley lights and a handle for the ice chest tray.
I picked up the Aluminum yesterday 103" x 25' x .040 and I started cutting it today. Man that's a big piece of Aluminum to deal with. :o
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:26 am

That is one of the nicest looking galleys around. Way to go, your hard work and planning has really paid off. :applause: :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ELM » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:54 am

KCStudly wrote:That is one of the nicest looking galleys around. Way to go, your hard work and planning has really paid off. :applause: :thumbsup:

Thanks KC
There's been a little planning, But mostly figuring it out as I go. Thanks again.
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:26 pm

All of the aluminum skin is on the tear drop. :D Image.
I've got the hatch hinge on and the hatch on the trailer for good this time. Image

I've started putting on the aluminum corner moldings.
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:17 pm

I have all of the aluminum trim on except for the hatch trim. It should be here next week.
Hatch lights installed and working. I used three led license plate lights.
I'm working on the running lights and brake wiring now.
Also I plan on painting it a color yet to be determined. I'm also looking in to vinyl wrap.
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:35 pm

I was considering a vinyl wrap, too, but a comment by Zach/absolutsnwbrdr (and others) discouraged me from going that way. Basically the life expectancy is relatively low (IIRC 5 yrs at best, lower grade/less $$ material has a shorter life expectancy), and despite the fact that one of the big marketing points is that they are supposed to be easily removable, apparently doing so is only relatively easy for the first year or so; apparently once they have been on a while they become much more difficult to remove cleanly.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ELM » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:46 pm

KCStudly wrote:I was considering a vinyl wrap, too, but a comment by Zach/absolutsnwbrdr (and others) discouraged me from going that way. Basically the life expectancy is relatively low (IIRC 5 yrs at best, lower grade/less $$ material has a shorter life expectancy), and despite the fact that one of the big marketing points is that they are supposed to be easily removable, apparently doing so is only relatively easy for the first year or so; apparently once they have been on a while they become much more difficult to remove cleanly.

Thanks for the good info on vinyl wrap KC. Sounds like paint is the safest way to go for me. Now I just need to decide on a color :thinking:
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby retep » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:49 am

Just an incredible build. You are a craftsman in all you do. Thanks for sharing your build, its so inspiring.

Peter
retep
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:16 am

retep wrote:Just an incredible build. You are a craftsman in all you do. Thanks for sharing your build, its so inspiring.

Peter

Thanks Peter :)
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:09 am

I've been busy working on the aluminum trim and a lot of little things that needed finished up.
Here's a picture of the galley all finished up. :D ( I think )
In this picture I have the left fender on but I still need to do something with the outer lower edge. :thinking:
The right side fender is on and the door that took me a day and a half to shrink down from a full size door and screen door.
I built a new center core with aluminum on the outside and Baltic Burch on the inside. It turned out very good but a lot of work. But I work cheap. ;)
ELM
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals