Little Ferdie - 11-ft Grumman

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Little Ferdie - 11-ft Grumman

Postby greygoos » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:40 pm

And I used my Kreg jig again to drill pocket holes in the spars. Here's a weird thing: it was freakishly difficult to drill those pocket holes. The drill just did not want to penetrate the wood. I had to lean into it to push it in and kept having to pause to let everything cool down. I've used the kreg jig a lot, and it's never been this reluctant.

Theories: Sounds like the bit is fried or possibly the jig itself is not set to the proper thickness.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby plectrudis » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks, Jim. I suspect you're right. It's not the thickness--I measured the wood and consulted the chart that comes with the tool. Time for a new bit.
plectrudis
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:53 am

Not to assume anything... in fact, I bet you are already aware of this and use the technique, but one way to extend the life of any drill bit when drilling moderate to deep holes is to clean the chips out often (i.e. pull the drill bit out of the hole or jig frequently to drag the chips out and unclog the bit. Wiping the bit clean with a rag frequently also helps cool it. Even though the Kregg jig has exhaust holes to help the chips exit, it can still get clogged up, which generates and holds more heat.

Another technique that works especially well when drilling thinner hard materials... especially metals like steel and SS (a little off topic here)... is to pulse the trigger while maintaining pressure; each time the bit stops heat is transferred away from the bit into the base material.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:21 am

On the Kreg Jig, I had that issue during my build. First time using it (and in fact still not completely satisfied I used the correct screw length or settings at all times, but I used enough glue and screws to fix the titanic so should be fine!) But.. it was all down to the wood chips not properly getting out of the exit hole. to resolve that I just ran the drill in and out while I was drilling to the final depth. worked great.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals