Redneck Ramada II

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Redneck Ramada II

Postby Osage Outlaw » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:47 pm

Hello, I started my camper build this winter and thought I would share some pictures. Last summer I built a very simple Hi Lo style box camper in the week leading up to a camping trip. My friends named it the Redneck Ramada. That is how this project got its name. I traded that small camper for a dual axle boat trailer as a foundation for a bigger and better project. I don't have a construction background so I will be learning as I go. I enjoy making things that I need instead of buying them. My build will have a limited budget. I cut and sell osage bow staves for extra income. My camper will be 100% funded by profits from selling wood. I am making a storage area in the camper to allow me to haul at least 150 bow staves. I set up at different primitive archery events during the summer and needed a something to haul the wood and double as camper. I want to make it look very rustic on the exterior. Basically I want it to look like an old tool shed cruising down the road. I want to finish the interior up nice enough for the wife to want to do some traveling with me.

Here is how my project started

I got 4 almost new tires for it plus a spare on a rim. I welded angle iron on it to make a 13' flat deck.

I sanded off all the rust that I could see.

A coat of primer and two coats of flat black made it look a lot better.

I used 2x10's for the deck. I will be hauling a lot of weight on it so I didn't think plywood would work. I put a bow stave on the trailer where the storage area will be to check how the weight will be over the axles. I think it will work out fine.

This is the side profile that I came up with. I wanted to bring the back slope more forward but I didn't want to lose any headroom in the open area.

I framed up both walls and cut out the windows. I am going to wait until I mount them on the trailer to cut out the door and to add some cross braces.

I got some old red oak barn siding to use on the exterior. I removed all of the nails and cut the bad ends off the boards.

They are to thick to use how they are. I cut them down to widths under 6". I'm going to resaw them on my band saw to 1/2" or slightly less. That will reduce the weight and double my boards. I hope to saw them up on Thursday and mount the walls on the trailer on Friday depending on the weather and available help.

I started out with nothin' and I still have most of it left.
Osage Outlaw
Teardrop Builder

Re: Redneck Ramada II

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:54 pm

Looks to be a good start!
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:55 pm

You have a long neck there, just watch your tongue weight.
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby Osage Outlaw » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:07 pm

be_a_jayhawk wrote:You have a long neck there, just watch your tongue weight.

I will. When I'm loaded down with wood towards the back that will help out. When I'm not hauling wood I can store all of our gear back there. I had all the lumber for the side walls on the trailer and I was still able to lift the tongue off the ground by myself.
Osage Outlaw
Teardrop Builder

Postby ae6black » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:22 pm

I had a similar problem since I use a trailer for my build that I use for other things. When the TD is on the Trailer, it's a bit too heavy in the rear and causes the tongue to lift up. I just put a large box, actually bigger than I need in front of the TD and use that large box to carry everything in it that you could ever imagine. I kind of like the storage space and so never built a smaller unit.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Osage Outlaw » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:31 am

I put together a rip fence and a spring board to put pressure on the boards as I saw them.

I made a quick roller support.

Then I spent the next 4.5 hours sawing the boards. It was going good until I hit a couple of nails that I didn't find earlier. Both new blades are now dull. Everything in my garage is covered with saw dust. It made quite a mess.

I got all of them cut down to just under 1/2" thick. They should work great for siding the outside walls of the camper. I'm tired of messing with these boards. I've put 10-12 hours of work into getting them ready to use. I think I have more than enough for what I need.

Osage Outlaw
Teardrop Builder

Postby Osage Outlaw » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:38 am

I rounded up some help yesterday and got the walls mounted. I had to move the trailer under a lean to roof on a garage because it was to tall for where I had been working on it. The ground was uneven were I parked it. We jacked it up and put some blocks under the frame to level it up. I managed it get my thumb caught between the frame and blocks. It got smashed pretty good. I'm afraid it's going to slow down my progress.

Osage Outlaw
Teardrop Builder

Postby Osage Outlaw » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:06 pm

I've been making slow progress on the camper. I don't have any help so everything takes longer than it should. I installed the roof ribs.

I framed up the wood storage area/bed support

I cut the door out

I got the wife and daughter to help put the roofing felt on the walls.

Yesterday I put the barn siding on one side.

Osage Outlaw
Teardrop Builder

Postby Hepcat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:42 am

Great progress. From the side profile I´d be seriously worried about the front-back balance, though. What are you going to put in the back?
Hepcat
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Osage Outlaw » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:45 am

I will be putting somewhere around 1500 lbs of bow staves in the storage area. If I wasn't hauling that weight I would agree with you on the axle spacing.
Osage Outlaw
Teardrop Builder

Postby Osage Outlaw » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:01 am

The weight doesn't seem to be an issue. If the utility truck can haul it I know my truck will. I had to move it to my house to finish the roof.

I finished the roof and framed the back doors.

I made a barn style front door for it.

I enclosed the bed frame/storage area. I still had one more board to put up in this picture.

I sprayed a coat of wood sealer on it.

I ordered a replacement brake actuator. I swapped all of the parts over except for the master cylinder. I'm waiting on a new gasket for it. Inspecting and repairing the brakes is next on my to-do list.

I finished the doors for the storage area. I used an old wrench to secure them to the frame during travel.

I finished the windows and front door. I used an old weathered mule deer antler for the door handle.

Osage Outlaw
Teardrop Builder

Postby Osage Outlaw » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:03 am

It's been through several thunderstorms and a wind storm with gusts over 50 mph. I have one small leak in the roof that will be an easy fix. Other than that it has held up great.
Osage Outlaw
Teardrop Builder

Postby Vedette » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:06 am

Wow! Now that is a TD on steroids! :shock:
Great job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:27 pm

I would be curious as to how much your unit is going to weigh fully loaded, as well as to how well it stops. Love the theme. It will certainly be good advertising for your long bows. Speaking of which, do you have any pictures of any of your finished long bows as as what you sell them for?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Osage Outlaw » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:57 pm

I think the trailer is rated for 5500 lbs. I'm not sure what the total weight will be. I'd like to haul 2000 lbs of wood in it.

Here are a few pictures of some bow bows that I have made. I don't really make them to sell unless I get asked to. I enjoy making them for trades or gifts. I've sold a few bows and it took the fun out of it. The bow with the two holes in it was a gift to a friend. He killed a buck with it.

Osage Outlaw
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Build Journals