The Cabin Car 6'6" x 11' 6" Adaption on an old boat trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The Cabin Car 6'6" x 11' 6" Adaption on an old boat trailer

Postby Andymanout » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:04 pm

This is just a tad premature as I don't have any photo's yet but I have decided to build an adaption of the 1948 Cabin Car. Mine will be scaled down version at 10.5 feet in length. I have been swimming in this forum for a bit and I have had the honor of meeting Roly and getting a close up look at the quality and workmanship in his three Teardrops up close. Man what a show!I thought when I headed down to his place that I would be intimidated by his masterful efforts but the opposite was true. He was welcoming and his easy, helpful demeanor was an introduction to the teardrop universe that I would wish on every newbie. The result is that he has engendered in me his deep appreciation of the classic woody teardrop. He has gifted me tools and lifted my sights. Roly I can never thank you enough. I am prayerful that I will honor the craftsman that has inspired me.So, with that and a healthy humble heart I am diving in.

I am a crafty technically savy do it myselfer. Imbued with more drive than knowledge and skilled in the art of learning. I looked at so many different plans that mind was adrift in images of little trailers. Finally I found the Cabin Car thread in this forum.

I was fascinated by her design. It may have been the image of people dressed like my father kicking the tires that drew me in. I dug deep into what the web has to offer on this little beauty. I studied the weight of fiberglass and marveled at the look it produces on well handled wood. I capitulated the aluminum skinned roof because I won't be able to garage this trailer when done. I decided I was going to build as opposed to buy and here I am. I have budgeted a measly $150.00 a month to this endeavor and at two months I have my cash in pocket and I am heading to Harbor Freight to pick up an HD bolt together folding trailer. One of the men in the marriage bible study my wife and I lead volunteered and wire feed arc welder for the trailer extension and the journey begins.

I humbly thank all who have come before me that gave this forum such a wealth of information. I'll post some pictures as I go, wait I think I'll one up that. I'll post some videos of my efforts as I go along. God bless and as a blogger long ago used to say, "Remember to take a kid fishing."
Attachments
cabincar02.jpg
cabincar02.jpg (63.75 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
Last edited by Andymanout on Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." I'm gonna do it in a teardrop.
Andymanout
Teardrop Builder

Re: The Cabin car 4 x 10.5 adaption on a HF HD trailer

Postby Andymanout » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:01 am

Razzer frazzer shanner branner harumph harumph! Harbor freight won't take my 20% off coupon on a trailer! OK that's it! I'm gonna weld this thing up myself!
"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." I'm gonna do it in a teardrop.
Andymanout
Teardrop Builder

Postby jmascioni » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:18 am

I know what you mean about Harbor Freight, and their so-called coupon. I tried the same thing a couple years ago when their trailers were on sale and I had a 20% off coupon. The fine print on the coupon says that it excludes trailers. I haven't been doing business with them since.

Looking forward to your build though, I have been lurking on here for about a month now, and have read through some amazing builds. I am sure that yours will catch my eye as well.
jmascioni
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Andymanout » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Got the wire feed welder. I built out a temporary welding cart as its a loaner from a friend. I'll be doing a few bead pads. Waiting another month for the HF Trailer will make registering my teardrop easier to register. We rescued a two year old Shepard and she is keeping me busy! Built a kennel she chewed through it. Built a cable run she slipped out of her harness. Rescuing this pup is a lot of work and cash! She is worth it though, she just get anxious when we go to work. I figure a few weeks and she'll be fine.
Andymanout
Teardrop Builder

Postby Andymanout » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:56 pm

Change of plans a brother in Christ has gifted me a 15' boat trailer. I will be modifying for this project. Placed the order for my Curt Hitch from etrailer,com today. Picked up a sheet of steel to use for a welding table. I am inching forward. Then Roly calls to help out further! Man I am gonna have to look for another newbie pay this forward to!
Andymanout
Teardrop Builder

Postby Alan_H » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:12 pm

Andymanout wrote:Change of plans a brother in Christ has gifted me a 15' boat trailer. I will be modifying for this project. Placed the order for my Curt Hitch from etrailer,com today. Picked up a sheet of steel to use for a welding table. I am inching forward. Then Roly calls to help out further! Man I am gonna have to look for another newbie pay this forward to!

That's great! Sounds like you are on your way to a really neat TD. Have you done up any design plans on your scale-down of this classic?
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby jeresci » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:52 pm

When I was making the plans for my basic design, I seriously considered the cabin car. I'm looking forward to your future posts. :thumbsup:
I to am building with a limited budget, which will mean that the build will take longer to accomplish. But I see that as an opportunity to enjoy the build part of the journey longer. It also gives me plenty of time to solve problems that come up without feeling like I'm slowing things down.
jeresci
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:15 pm

I envy your project. The Cabin car is a sweet set up. If I ever get to build a 2nd one, it will take some of those features. Please share your design once you have it worked out.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Andymanout » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:38 pm

I ordered the Curt Hitch, and 4 pole to 7 pin adapter for the Escape from E-trailer.com. After I get the trailer to the house I will be cutting and welding to convert it into a flatbed cargo. This is when the final scale can be determined. As the trailer is 15' I may be able to go full size. So far I am looking at traditional interpretation. However I am not so proud that I won't be willing to adjust for the best result. Thanks for interest folks. Gathering more tools this Saturday and doing my first pad of beads to practice my welding. We will see some progress soon!
Andymanout
Teardrop Builder

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:30 am

If you are still thinking through the design, here are a few thoughts.
You could fit the small RV tub ( ala the modern cabin car) at the front under a bench seat. Water heater could be under the bed and do double duty as the heat source for the interior as demonstrated in another thread( viewtopic.php?f=54&t=62327). Put the galley on a slide out under the bed and you can save 2 feet of length.
( search blonde coyote trailer on Google)
http://tinyhouseblog.com/travel-trailer ... p-trailer/

Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Andymanout » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:26 pm

I like that slide out option. It avoids the disruption of side panel lines. Playing with Sketchup Make right now. I have a very long way to go in this program. I appreciate the input. As a newbie I'm a bit of a novice. Here is my first attempt at the cabin car lines.
Attachments
Cabin Car.skp
First attempt at the cabin car lines.
(249.35 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Andymanout
Teardrop Builder

Re: The Cabin Car 6'6" x 11' 6" Adaption on an old boat trai

Postby Andymanout » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:18 pm

The E-trailer Curt hitch sitting in what used to be my garage, now just to find the time to install it! :D
Andymanout
Teardrop Builder

Postby Andymanout » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:30 pm

And here we go! First video is of the free boat trailer gifted to me by a brother in Christ, Jim. It has a super huge 4" tongue with a 1 7/8" receiver in it. First I'll remove the boat fixings and return them to Jim. Then I can finally begin planning the trailer modifications and deck! Woo Hoo!

https://youtu.be/dettvPR1J74
Andymanout
Teardrop Builder

Postby Andymanout » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:39 pm

The first Sketchup of the Boat Trailer. It's incomplete and I'll have to do a great deal of welding. But I want to keep the build thread up to date.
Attachments
The Boat Trailer.skp
(129.18 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Andymanout
Teardrop Builder

Postby Alleged User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:53 pm

Hi, Andyman,

Looking forward to watching your build. My brother built a cabin car back in 2011, and he absolutely loves it.

His name is Barry, and he's a chapter director for the New England chapter of the TearJerkers ... if you're ever on that site, he'll be more than happy to chat with you about his build:

Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Next

Return to Build Journals