Colorado Flatlander Teardrop build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Colorado Flatlander Teardrop build

Postby jack-l57 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:11 pm

DAYS NINETEEN and TWENTY:
It has been a busy couple of weeks, but I finally got a weekend to work on the Colorado Flatlander. I did a few odds and ends and cleaned up my garage, but did no significant building until this weekend. I installed the sidewalls panels first as you can see below...
Then I insulated the roof and the galley. I used a technique to get the 1-1/2" roof insulation to curve that I learned from a TNTTT build. After cutting the pieces to fit, I cut kerfs in the foam with my tablesaw. It was so easy! I put my kerfs 1-1/2" apart and all the pieces curved in easily. I used scrap materials from my shop to hold the insulation in place until the glue dried. I only used 3/4" insulation in the galley, so those pieces bent easily enough for the glue to hold them in place without extra support. It was quite a bit of work, but I like how tightly it all fit into place. I did have to notch the roof panels where I had run the wiring to get it to fit properly.
After getting the insulation installed, I installed the exterior sheathing, which was 1/8" baltic birch plywood. It bent easily around the shape and I glued it and used 1/4" x 1/2" long staples to attach it to the roof spars. I ended up with a couple of bubbles, but nothing significant. Some day I will learn to ask for help when installing more complicated items. I also needed to finish some cutouts of the side walls. First, I cut out the door openings. I started by drilling a hole large enough for my flush-cut bit to fit in, then simply routed out the door. It turned out very well, matching up exactly with the original door opening.
Next, I cut out the side storage that will hold my solar panel and possibly some chairs or a small table. I forgot to mark it before I installed the wall, but fortunately I new the exact dimensions of the internal structure, so it was easy to mark it properly. I simply used an oscillating saw to cut an initial slot in each corner, then used my jigsaw to finish the cut. I used a flush cut bit in my router to finish it out smoothly (and a little sanding.)
I still need to put the exterior skin on the hatch, then I will be ready to put my final seal coats on the camper. I am excited for my next step, which will be putting on the exterior sheathing. I will be using 3" scored "brite" aluminum on the sides of the cabin, "Brite" diamond plate on the storage compartment, and white filon on the roof and galley hatch. I will use 1" vinyl insert aluminum on the roof edges and anyplace where two materials connect. I purchased red vinyl insert to give it a bit of color. Can't wait for my next step!
jack-l57
Teardrop Builder

Postby jack-l57 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:25 pm

DAY TWENTY-ONE:

:thumbsup: I finally had a chance to work on my teardrop today! Another spring snowstorm in Colorado caused my scheduled track meet to be cancelled, so time to get to work! I did find a bit of time to put three coats of sealant on the finished exterior over the last couple of weeks, but that was about it. Today, I finally started putting the skin on my teardrop. I am using white filon for the front-roof-hatch skin. I started by cutting the filon to an approximate size, then used contact cement to attach it. Once the contact cement was set, I used a straight laminate trimming bit to cut the filon to size.

I started with the hatch so that I could put it on saw horses to be able to maneuver it easier. Since it was quite cold outside, I had to work quickly with the windows open when rolling on the contact cement, then closed the windows and vacated the garage while waiting for it to dry sufficiently to attach the filon. I like the way contact cement works, but I sure don't like the fumes!
:?

I installed 3 pieces of filon today; hatch, roof and front. The first picture is the hatch after trimming the excess. The second and third pictures are the front and roof. I didn't have time to trim those pieces just yet. The pieces I put directly on the teardrop were two-person jobs. A big thanks to my wife, Becky, for helping me get them in place today.
I'm not sure when I will get my next chance to work on the Colorado Flatlander. I have a rescheduled track meet on Monday, a home track meet on Tuesday, then our League track meet on Friday. I suppose my boss will expect me to work on Wednesday and Thursday, so there goes the week!
:hammer:
jack-l57
Teardrop Builder

Postby jack-l57 » Sun May 01, 2016 8:09 pm

DAY TWENTY-TWO:

The board meeting I had today wrapped up quick enough to give me time to work on my teardrop!
:woohoo:

I trimmed the overhanging filon on the front and roof and installed the diamond plate around the storage base. I think the white filon and "brite" diamond plate makes for a nice, clean look. These are pictures of the rear and side and the front and side.
Next up is the sidewall aluminum, which is a 3" scored "brite" aluminum. Can't wait to see how it looks!
:bounce:
jack-l57
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Build Journals