A little project called the Boreal 3

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

A little project called the Boreal 3

Postby Boreal » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:16 pm

So here we go.

I just took possession of a 5x8 H&H, and she's a beauty.

I figure every good trailer ought to have a name, and I've chosen "Boreal". See back in the day, when I was a research biologist, my professional interest was in boreal forest ecology. Think spruce forests that cover most of mid to northern Canada. My nickname back then amongst the nerdy crowd was "Boreal".

So the Boreal 3 it is!

The "3" comes from the number of sleepers it will accommodate; me, my wife, and our nine year old daughter. Later on I'll post my build rationale and design considerations, but in short...

• 6x10 trailer built on a 5x8 bed
  • Cross-ways bunk for the lil girl.
  • "Modified" foamie construction with zebra wood, bubinga, and mahogany skin, finished with 4ox fiberglass cloth and resin.
  • About 10 inches of storage between the trailer bed bottom and the base.
  • Lots of olde schoole styling sensibility.

I've got practical homebuilding experience, but the precision cabinet making skills are a bit rusty. I'm a framer, dammit, not a brain surgeon! But I've done a tonne of research, so many ideas. There will definitely be some unique features in this build.
Last edited by Boreal on Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Boreal
Teardrop Builder

Re: A little project called the Boreal 3

Postby Boreal » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:47 pm

So I got the thing delivered and installed in my garage workshop. The wife is not happy (not being able to use the garage as, you know, a garage, but semper fidelis, so she's stuck with me. And it. Included in the purchase was a spare tire and rim, and two stabilizing jacks that I'll need to have welded on.

The first decision is "what to do with the bed?" After posting the question and getting some good replies, I decided to do the honourable thing, the righteous thing, and remove about 100 kilos of old, pressure treated 2x8 (that's over 200 pounds). I'll lay 3/4" T&G fir ply down instead, for a savings of about 50 kg/120 lbs.

Every little bit counts.

I plan on weather proofing the underside with 12" wide window flashing, preferably Tite Seal product if I can find it.

Once I get the bed installed, I'd like to calculate a straight up trailer weight and post it as a running total.

But so far, the summary:

Planning Time: 20 hours
Build Time: 2 hours
Cost: 1495 CAD / 1146 USD
Boreal
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:18 pm

I think 2bits tried the self adhesive window flashing as an under floor sealer, the flexible self healing stuff, on his little build. It ended up peeling off and sagging down. IIRC he striped it all off and used tar. Maybe the Texas heat had something to do with it, but I would stick with something proven and only do it once... while the floor is still easily accessible.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Boreal » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:03 pm

Well, grrr.. to that.
Boreal
Teardrop Builder

Postby Boreal » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:23 pm

Undercoating is done.

I did end up using an uber sticky, 1mm thick, asphalt-based, self-adhering window flashing product called Resisto. With a name like, how could I not? I did do some due diligence first, though; I checked with Scott (his Youtube Channel has been invaluable for planning, among other things) and he had reported zero problems of unstickiness after three seasons of use.

Just to be sure, I used a spray can of Resisto extra sticky wood prep. When I tested it, I could not remove the flashing without destroying it.

That's the underside once installed. It's the cleanest it will ever be, I'm quite sure.

The bed completed. The bed is 3/4" tongue & groove fir plywood, with the joint running the length of the trailer (so that I have a 4'x8' piece joined to a 1'x8' piece, making the 5'x8' bed. I glues the joint with TB2. The bed lays on angle steel with lots of pre-drilled holes, to the penultimate task was to crawl underneath and fasten the bed to the frame from underneath with 1" #10 hex bolts. Much of the weight of the sleeping cabin will be transferred down onto the bed, and there is a lip in the back, so it's going nowhere.

On top, I lay down multiple coats of people hereabouts like to call "The mix". 25/75 PolyU to spirits, all the way up to 75/35, four coats in total. This thing could be a bathtub if I wanted.

I'm ready to work on the base now, which will sit on the walls (with supports), providing about 11" of storage underneath.

Project Summary

Planning Time: 30 hours
Build Time: 6 hours
Cost: 1742 CAD / 1342 USD
Boreal
Teardrop Builder

Postby Boreal » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:20 pm

Some more pics (up on IMGUR, since the board gallery is kinda borked):

http://imgur.com/a/Qo1jh

The story so far...

In short, it's a 6' x 9' trailer on a 5' x 8', walled utility trailer. Got the trailer new (it was the best deal I could find, at about $1600 CAD). Because it (the trailer base) has 10" walls, she stands taller than I would have otherwise wanted. It's also a bit taller because of the bunk inside; ten year old daughter needs to sleep somewhere for hte next few years, until we boot her out into a tent).

It's a spacious cabin; I didn't want the plane Jane clausterphobic standard. But it still has lots of storage, both in cabin, and beneath the "floor" (into that ten inches of under space).

It's a modified woodie. 2" of EPS foam sandwiched between two 1/4" layers (Bobinga and Zebrawood on the outside, cedar on the inside). Inside, we have 48" x 73" sleeping deck and 24" x 52" bunk. We'll be able to stow the mattress cushions and open up a foot well so that in inclement weather, we can sit and lounge inside comfortably.

Working on the inside ceiling now. Installing trusses, supports for roof racks and solar panels, and cutouts for the fan and stargazer window.
Boreal
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:49 am

Boreal wrote:Just to be sure, I used a spray can of Resisto extra sticky wood prep. When I tested it, I could not remove the flashing without destroying it.

:thumbsup: Prep and primer are likely to make the difference between success and failure. Good job!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Boreal » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:20 pm

Lots has happened. Here we sit now. 5 x 8, 3 person (2 the normal way, kiddo on a crossways bunk). Foamy with lots of wood.

Boreal
Teardrop Builder

Return to Build Journals