off road camper build in WV

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: off road camper build in WV

Postby jonb8 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:06 pm

It turned out great but it took me day's to put together and take apart and shave and put back together and ECT ECT ECT....

jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SCwood » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:31 pm

jonb8 wrote:I need HELP...LOL It's time to take it apart and seal it, how long do I have to wait between coats of CPES ? I'm using cold weather formula and the garage I'm using will only be in the 40's.... Do I have to let it cure between coats? Thanks...

I just waited a few hours til mine was dry to the touch and then applied another coat. It seemed to work.
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby yrock87 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:22 pm

jonb8 wrote:I need HELP...LOL It's time to take it apart and seal it, how long do I have to wait between coats of CPES ? I'm using cold weather formula and the garage I'm using will only be in the 40's.... Do I have to let it cure between coats? Thanks...

I used standard epoxy, not CPES, so not sure what differences there would be in drying. my epoxy directions said that I had 24-36 hours to recoat to get a chemical bond. longer than that you have to wash, then sand for a mechanical bond. I waited till it was no longer tacky then applied the second coat without sanding. thenI waited a few days, washed and sanded flat. then I applied coats 3 and 4, then sanded for the final finish. how badly your epoxy blushes also dictates your approach, you want to ensure that any anime blush that forms is washed off. I used a "no blush" epoxy but applied in cool, wet weather so I washed before sanding just in case.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby jonb8 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:59 pm

Thanks for the response, I'm going to wait till it tacks up then load on the coats... I dont' care about finish this is for the bottom of the floor and behind the aluminum. I'm going to use varnish on the inside. I got some blocking done on the hatch tonight and the hinge mocked up. Seems like the 1/4in peice of Aluminum frank sent me to offset the hinge is to tall, but I'm going with it, I'm sure he knows more about building teardrops then I do.... :D
jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:57 pm

Got the ceiling pulled out and skinned.....The inside radius was awful, I have no idea how you guy's do it inside the trailer, I still got springback even after a full day of moisture and heat..

Got the hatch blocked for handle, latches and lights.

I'm gonna just let this sit overnight and see what happens, I wanna be patient on this bend so I don't get alot of springback.. I HAVE KNOW IDEA WHAT IM DOING>>> :D

jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SCwood » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:00 am

jonb8 wrote:I HAVE KNOW IDEA WHAT IM DOING>>> :D

Haha welcome to the club. I'm sure it'll work out though.

How thick is your skin? I used 3mm and it bent just fine when the grain was going the right way (although it did need a little convincing to stay in place while the glue dried). And it looks like you have the grain going the right way in your hatch pic. Joining the wood on the curve could be challenging though. Hopefully you haven't applied the CPES yet and that's not the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:29 pm

I'm using 5mm birch/popular/birch plywood, I'm just trying to be patient on this bend and let it move the way I want it over a couple of day's so I don't have the dreaded springback on my hatch. I do not want to build this thing again, :worship: Got it clamped down and saturated with a water bottle that I kept filling up with boiling water...Just gonna let it sit there for awhile....

jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Finished up the hatch today, and started mocking up the A/C and heater box....

jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Test fit and played with the fantastic fan a little today too...Hey I gotta get this stuff out of the box soon or I'm gonna go crazy.. :D

jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:17 pm

Got everything tore down, stained, sealed and polyurethane on...Put back together for the last time and the electric started...Glad it doesn't ever have to come apart again. :D

jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Got alittle work done in the galley,

jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby justlisawv » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:04 pm

This is looking really good. Hello from a fellow West Virginian!! :applause:
"Bare Bones" teardrop purchased from Rustic Trails Teardrops.

justlisawv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 3GKnight » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Looking really good! What are the dimensions of the sleeping area?
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby jonb8 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Thanks Lisa, maybe we'll all get together for a teardrop trip to the mountains this year.... The sleeping area is 5ft by 6ft, problem with the 8 footers is cutting down the sleeping area to have at least a decent size galley...Good thing me and the wife are short... :D
jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:59 pm

If I can finish up the two drawers tomorrow I'll have the galley finished..... :thumbsup:

jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals