Cargo Camper 2

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Cargo Camper 2

Postby Camping Cur » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi Folks,
I waited until we tried this out pulling and camping before posting. It started out as a 5X8 Tractor Supply utility trailer. I put in a treated plywood floor and pine sides. The frame is mostly 2X2 with a few 2X4 pieces here and there. I will attach one frame picture, The outside is covered in the FRP panels to which I added a generous coat of UV treatment. This stuff is TOUGH and fairly rigid. I added two layers of 3/4" foam insulation inside, and used the luan sheets to cover the walls. The windows are crank-out awning type. The back door is a mobile home unit I bought new that is 70" tall, which is short for home use but just right for RV purposes. I added a window in it as well. We took it camping and were snug and dry, even though we did have a rain shower. Just one electric outlet inside to run a fan is fine for now. The outside unit is one that keeps dry connections when closed...even when raining. The outside trim is PVC, as is the inside. No paint and easy to work with. It pulled quite nicely with my Soul, and it was nice not having to sleep in a tent and pile up the car to the roof with camping stuff. If I need to haul items that are too big for the car, (clean stuff!), the 32" wide door allows for easy loading. I had a friend weld 2" angle to the trailer tongue and that helped reduce any frame racking. So, for a modest investment, we have a dual-purpose rig that raises eyebrows in the campgrounds, especially so the 30 foot triple slide 5th. wheeler types. We hope to do more camping soon and will update on any future additions. This is crude compared to the rolling artwork I see on here, but it works for us.
Happy Camping! Mike
PS: Will add other pics to gallery.
Attachments
001.JPG
Outside view 1
001.JPG (238.61 KiB) Viewed 365 times
003.JPG
Frame mounted on trailer
003.JPG (241.2 KiB) Viewed 365 times
008.JPG
Basic Frame
008.JPG (244.9 KiB) Viewed 365 times