First build "Rocinante"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: First build "Rocinante"

Postby HarleyCamper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Hatch is sheathed. After finishing the edges and smoothing it I'll canvas it tomorrow.Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:34 pm

Re: First build "Rocinante"

Postby HarleyCamper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:50 pm

I divided the hatch into three parts (used 4 ribs in construction) so the "utility panel" from the blue big box store bent very easily. It was less that 1/4" thick. The glue is drying after fastening with 5/8" staples from a pneumatic staple gun. I used lots of clamps to attach it, and some ratchet straps to secure until dry.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:34 pm

Re: First build "Rocinante"

Postby HarleyCamper » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:08 pm

Progress slowed because, family. First time fishing and they each caught their first catch.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:34 pm
Top

Re: First build "Rocinante"

Postby HarleyCamper » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:19 pm

I got the canvas onto the hatch today. I had to do it alone and learned no matter how small, always use at least two people.

My nearly 3 week vacation is coming to a close and though I hoped that I'd be finished, I'm not. But canvassing, priming, and 4 coats of paint can't be too bad for playing daddy daycare all along and having drill in there too. I must be finished by the time my oldest finishes school in the spring.

What is the average number of coats of paint on PMF? I'm at 5 total, and thinking 2 more for the top (color) coat. Thoughts? Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:34 pm
Top

Re: First build "Rocinante"

Postby HarleyCamper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:00 pm

Got my top coats on the camper a couple of days ago, and installed the fantastic fan and doors today.

The extended family has decided to have a family reunion of sorts in ND, and we always spend the weekend camping. It'll be a road trip from TN, but I'm looking forward to using the 'drop.

So, I'll be working nonstop for the next six weeks with no time for the teardrop. Then I'm hoping to finish it in May so I can have a couple shake down camping trips before the 2500 mile trip.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:34 pm
Top

Re: First build

Postby clamlamp » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:50 pm

that looks great!!! Did you sand between coats or just paint?
User avatar
clamlamp
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:54 pm
Top

Re: First build

Postby HarleyCamper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:55 pm

clamlamp wrote:that looks great!!! Did you sand between coats or just paint?


I've sanded lightly to knock down any high spots or fuzzies left by the roller. I ended up switching to a "cabinet" (foam) roller 7" I think. That of course did not shed any fibers into the paint. I am sanding between every couple of coats on the hatch as I'm trying to get a finish smooth enough to apply decals. I know I won't get a perfectly smooth surface no matter what I do, but I do want to have somewhere to decorate like a tourist. I also like the texture of the PMF. It's certainly grown on me.
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:34 pm
Top

Re: First build

Postby clamlamp » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:16 pm

HarleyCamper wrote:
clamlamp wrote:that looks great!!! Did you sand between coats or just paint?


I've sanded lightly to knock down any high spots or fuzzies left by the roller. I ended up switching to a "cabinet" (foam) roller 7" I think. That of course did not shed any fibers into the paint. I am sanding between every couple of coats on the hatch as I'm trying to get a finish smooth enough to apply decals. I know I won't get a perfectly smooth surface no matter what I do, but I do want to have somewhere to decorate like a tourist. I also like the texture of the PMF. It's certainly grown on me.


Going to start my PMF on Monday, any tips?
User avatar
clamlamp
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:54 pm
Top

Re: First build

Postby HarleyCamper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:32 pm

clamlamp wrote:
HarleyCamper wrote:
clamlamp wrote:that looks great!!! Did you sand between coats or just paint?


I've sanded lightly to knock down any high spots or fuzzies left by the roller. I ended up switching to a "cabinet" (foam) roller 7" I think. That of course did not shed any fibers into the paint. I am sanding between every couple of coats on the hatch as I'm trying to get a finish smooth enough to apply decals. I know I won't get a perfectly smooth surface no matter what I do, but I do want to have somewhere to decorate like a tourist. I also like the texture of the PMF. It's certainly grown on me.


Going to start my PMF on Monday, any tips?


Tips:
1) Start with a smooth surface. Most surface imperfections will show though. You wouldn't think so, but they do.
2) I used TB2. Don't be tempted to lay on a coat of TB2 over the canvas. I may reactivate the dried glue and cause it to pull away.
3) Leave the canvas long and trim it later. When I skinned the hatch I covered it in glue, laid the canvas on top, and trimmed it. I went back the next day and saw that it had shrunk significantly. I dont' recall having nearly the same reaction with the camper body, but the hatch did shrink quite a bit. TB2 and canvas are amazingly flexible and easy to trim with a sharp knife when dried.
4) Use either latex or oil based paints, but don't use both. I used a oil based primer (zinnser) because it was cheap oops paint (and is marketed to be used under either oil or latex paint), then I used latex paints after that. Even though the zinnser can be used under either kind, it must fully cure before being covered in latex paint, meaning 7-14 days. FYI latex paint can take 30 days to truly cure, but dries quickly. Once cured, both paints will provide a durable finish.
5) Don't bother using 'the mix' or CPES before PMF. The TB2 won't penetrate the wood like you want it to.

I'm sure there's more tips to be had, but that's what I can think of at the moment.
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:34 pm
Top

Re: First build "Rocinante"

Postby clamlamp » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:44 pm

HarleyCamper wrote:
clamlamp wrote:
HarleyCamper wrote:
clamlamp wrote:that looks great!!! Did you sand between coats or just paint?


I've sanded lightly to knock down any high spots or fuzzies left by the roller. I ended up switching to a "cabinet" (foam) roller 7" I think. That of course did not shed any fibers into the paint. I am sanding between every couple of coats on the hatch as I'm trying to get a finish smooth enough to apply decals. I know I won't get a perfectly smooth surface no matter what I do, but I do want to have somewhere to decorate like a tourist. I also like the texture of the PMF. It's certainly grown on me.


Going to start my PMF on Monday, any tips?


Tips:
1) Start with a smooth surface. Most surface imperfections will show though. You wouldn't think so, but they do.
2) I used TB2. Don't be tempted to lay on a coat of TB2 over the canvas. I may reactivate the dried glue and cause it to pull away.
3) Leave the canvas long and trim it later. When I skinned the hatch I covered it in glue, laid the canvas on top, and trimmed it. I went back the next day and saw that it had shrunk significantly. I dont' recall having nearly the same reaction with the camper body, but the hatch did shrink quite a bit. TB2 and canvas are amazingly flexible and easy to trim with a sharp knife when dried.
4) Use either latex or oil based paints, but don't use both. I used a oil based primer (zinnser) because it was cheap oops paint (and is marketed to be used under either oil or latex paint), then I used latex paints after that. Even though the zinnser can be used under either kind, it must fully cure before being covered in latex paint, meaning 7-14 days. FYI latex paint can take 30 days to truly cure, but dries quickly. Once cured, both paints will provide a durable finish.
5) Don't bother using 'the mix' or CPES before PMF. The TB2 won't penetrate the wood like you want it to.

I'm sure there's more tips to be had, but that's what I can think of at the moment.
What do you use to fill holes or gaps and smooth surface before the canvas is put on?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
User avatar
clamlamp
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:54 pm
Top

Re: First build

Postby HarleyCamper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:51 pm

clamlamp wrote:
HarleyCamper wrote:
clamlamp wrote:
HarleyCamper wrote:
clamlamp wrote:that looks great!!! Did you sand between coats or just paint?


I've sanded lightly to knock down any high spots or fuzzies left by the roller. I ended up switching to a "cabinet" (foam) roller 7" I think. That of course did not shed any fibers into the paint. I am sanding between every couple of coats on the hatch as I'm trying to get a finish smooth enough to apply decals. I know I won't get a perfectly smooth surface no matter what I do, but I do want to have somewhere to decorate like a tourist. I also like the texture of the PMF. It's certainly grown on me.


Going to start my PMF on Monday, any tips?


Tips:
1) Start with a smooth surface. Most surface imperfections will show though. You wouldn't think so, but they do.
2) I used TB2. Don't be tempted to lay on a coat of TB2 over the canvas. I may reactivate the dried glue and cause it to pull away.
3) Leave the canvas long and trim it later. When I skinned the hatch I covered it in glue, laid the canvas on top, and trimmed it. I went back the next day and saw that it had shrunk significantly. I dont' recall having nearly the same reaction with the camper body, but the hatch did shrink quite a bit. TB2 and canvas are amazingly flexible and easy to trim with a sharp knife when dried.
4) Use either latex or oil based paints, but don't use both. I used a oil based primer (zinnser) because it was cheap oops paint (and is marketed to be used under either oil or latex paint), then I used latex paints after that. Even though the zinnser can be used under either kind, it must fully cure before being covered in latex paint, meaning 7-14 days. FYI latex paint can take 30 days to truly cure, but dries quickly. Once cured, both paints will provide a durable finish.
5) Don't bother using 'the mix' or CPES before PMF. The TB2 won't penetrate the wood like you want it to.

I'm sure there's more tips to be had, but that's what I can think of at the moment.
What do you use to fill holes or gaps and smooth surface before the canvas is put on?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk


Spackling worked well for me. Sands easy, and is good and hard when glue penetrates it.
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:34 pm
Top

Re: First build "Rocinante"

Postby clamlamp » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:53 pm

HarleyCamper wrote:
clamlamp wrote:
HarleyCamper wrote:
clamlamp wrote:
HarleyCamper wrote:
clamlamp wrote:that looks great!!! Did you sand between coats or just paint?


I've sanded lightly to knock down any high spots or fuzzies left by the roller. I ended up switching to a "cabinet" (foam) roller 7" I think. That of course did not shed any fibers into the paint. I am sanding between every couple of coats on the hatch as I'm trying to get a finish smooth enough to apply decals. I know I won't get a perfectly smooth surface no matter what I do, but I do want to have somewhere to decorate like a tourist. I also like the texture of the PMF. It's certainly grown on me.


Going to start my PMF on Monday, any tips?


Tips:
1) Start with a smooth surface. Most surface imperfections will show though. You wouldn't think so, but they do.
2) I used TB2. Don't be tempted to lay on a coat of TB2 over the canvas. I may reactivate the dried glue and cause it to pull away.
3) Leave the canvas long and trim it later. When I skinned the hatch I covered it in glue, laid the canvas on top, and trimmed it. I went back the next day and saw that it had shrunk significantly. I dont' recall having nearly the same reaction with the camper body, but the hatch did shrink quite a bit. TB2 and canvas are amazingly flexible and easy to trim with a sharp knife when dried.
4) Use either latex or oil based paints, but don't use both. I used a oil based primer (zinnser) because it was cheap oops paint (and is marketed to be used under either oil or latex paint), then I used latex paints after that. Even though the zinnser can be used under either kind, it must fully cure before being covered in latex paint, meaning 7-14 days. FYI latex paint can take 30 days to truly cure, but dries quickly. Once cured, both paints will provide a durable finish.
5) Don't bother using 'the mix' or CPES before PMF. The TB2 won't penetrate the wood like you want it to.

I'm sure there's more tips to be had, but that's what I can think of at the moment.
What do you use to fill holes or gaps and smooth surface before the canvas is put on?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk


Spackling worked well for me. Sands easy, and is good and hard when glue penetrates it.
Wow regular dry wall spackle?! I would have never guessed. I was ready to use Bondo

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
User avatar
clamlamp
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:54 pm
Top

Re: First build "Rocinante"

Postby HarleyCamper » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:01 pm

I think I read somewhere to use vinyl spackling. Not sure what that exactly is but I used a small tub of repair spackling.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:34 pm
Top

Re: First build

Postby KCStudly » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:32 am

"Light weight" or "Ceiling" spackling is what you want. A quart size tub will feel almost empty when you pick it up compared to "regular" dry wall spackling, which is much heavier.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
User avatar
KCStudly
Donating Member
 
Posts: 9108
Images: 8104
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:18 pm
Location: Southeastern CT, USA
Top

Re: First build "Rocinante"

Postby HarleyCamper » Sun May 13, 2018 9:03 pm

I was out doing the military thing for the past couple of months. But now I'm home hitting it hard. I got all the trim installed, repacked the bearings, and am now finishing up the hatch. When repacking the bearings I damaged one seal and had to order a set onlinesince nowhere locally stocks the metric size for NT bolt together trailer. Should be campable within two weeks. In fact I'm making a reservation at the local state park I'm so confident in being ready!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:34 pm
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ottsville and 3 guests