SmartPod Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

SmartPod Build

Postby SmartPod » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:40 pm

I made the first cut of wood for my SmartPod xtreme mini teardrop. I cut out the flooring for fit and length. I will be sealing the bottom with paint.

image1 (6).JPG
Floor cut and placed on trailer for fit.
image1 (6).JPG (94.27 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
SmartPod
Teardrop Inspector

Re: SmartPod Build

Postby SmartPod » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:48 pm

Putting the first coat of sealer on the bottom of the floor. It's technically an exterior silicone concrete sealer...the can has these remarks on it...."Long-lasting beauty and protection..won't peel, flake or fade like paint...Resists water, oil, gasoline, UV rays, and traffic marks...inhibits hot tire pickup ideal for vehicle traffic". I know I've probably read on this site about a million different ways that folks have weather resisted the bottom of their trailers. Please add this one to the list. I can't even read the can to get the name of the product as unfortunately it was covered up by paint overflowing the lid onto the label. It has to be one available at one of the big box stores as I had used it for my back patio a few years back. It feels like a rubbery latex paint when dried.

-SmartPod
Attachments
image1 (7).JPG
First coat of sealer...
image1 (7).JPG (78.87 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
SmartPod
Teardrop Inspector

Glued on supports for sidewalls

Postby SmartPod » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:46 pm

I measured and glued on supports for the sidewalls. After drying I will flip and attach from the bottom with 2 inch coated screws.
Attachments
image1 (8).JPG
image1 (8).JPG (75.61 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
SmartPod
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Very nice start! Keep the construction moving forward. :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Looking Good!!!

Building your own gives you the satisfaction of being able to know exactly what went into your camper. It will never be finished, as you'll always find things you want to add or subtract or alter. This is the fun of them!

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Slow and steady progress

Postby SmartPod » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:21 pm

I'm still making progress on my build. And it definitely feels good to be able to do this at my own pace. It will be something that I can take pride in getting things done as right and cost effective as I can.The photo won't look that progressive but I have actually attached the base to the trailer as well as cut the 1/2 inch insulation board and 5mm birch for the sub floor which will be covered with wood patterned vinyl left over from an earlier house project this year. My next update should be the first to show an actual outline of the teardrop shape I have chosen. Then it will actually start looking like something familiar to the forum. Thanks for those following my progress! I hope to show that an amateur with only novice skills and tools can jump into the teardrop craze and build a functional wooden tent on wheels:)

-Tony
Attachments
image1 (10).JPG
Base attached to trailer and dry fit for insulation and sub floor
image1 (10).JPG (96.93 KiB) Viewed 905 times
SmartPod
Teardrop Inspector

Finally some real progress

Postby SmartPod » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:01 am

I sat down and drew my rudimentary teardrop shape. I know there are several posts showing how to draw the ellipse but I put a pen to cardboard and sketched the curved shape I was looking for. I got the two inside walls and outer walls and insulation cut today. This finally enables me to put up the spars and start making this look like a trailer.

-SmartPod
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (95.89 KiB) Viewed 814 times
SmartPod
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals