GoW Build - Getting Started

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

GoW Build - Getting Started

Postby jjoelc » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:39 pm

Hello All!

I have been lurking for quite a while, and I'm finally about to start on my first build: The GoW (Galley on Wheels)

This is quite literally just a galley plus some storage space for firewood, tent, folding chairs, sleeping bags, etc. so it should be a pretty simple build for my first trailer. It is also very small and light.
*(Stick figure for scale added by my young son, it was too cute to crop out!)

It is going on a 48" x 40" Harbor Freight Trailer kit. The shell will be 5' long, 4' wide (so will overlap the tires just a bit, and thus have small wheel wells inside, but not much.) Both front and back radiuses(eses) are 24" Galley in the rear, a top loading platform in front for sleeping bags, folding chairs and other light gear. The lower front compartment I plan to have a movable divider in and will probably usually carry firewood closer to the axle and personal effects (clothing, etc.) closer to the tongue. Body will be plywood, light stain, with darker stained trim. It won't be finished yet, but I hope to have the basic (wooden box stage) complete enough to take on a quick weekend trip to Palo Duro Canyon, July 1st-4th, so the big progress will be happening pretty quickly (Do finishing details EVER get done? In any case, sanding, staining, and poly will take a bit longer to complete...)

I pick up the trailer tomorrow after work and will likely spend the weekend assembling it and painting it. I plan to move the axle back just a little bit from where it appears to be in the assembly guide, but not sure how much yet. (They don't give good measurements as to where the axle is mounted. But it shouldn't be much, it is a REALLY small little trailer after all!)

Aside from that, I just want to say that looking through this forum has already helped me considerably in my planning. I've always been a tent camper, but I am seriously thinking about building a foamie next, even if only as a present to my parents and never use it myself :-) I'm looking forward to this build first though, and look forward to sharing the process with all of you
:D
jjoelc
jjoelc
Teardrop Inspector

Re: GoW Build - Getting Started

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:46 pm

I love the stick figure!!! The beauty of a diy trailer is you make it to fit your needs, exactly or pretty close. Keep us up on the progress and we like photos!

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:05 am

Welcome! Boy if I had only just done something like what you are proposing I would probably be camping by now! But then there would still have been the issue of camping on the ground in a tent... my wife, she is not a camper type of person. :roll:

I can't tell from your sketch what your plan is for the forward facing top hatch, and on such a small box it is probably less critical, but my thought is that the strength of the box largely comes from the rigidity of the bent roof panel; and on your design much of that is not well connected because it is hatch. Not to worry though, if you build at least the front roof/wall sections with a roof flange around the opening, then have the hatch over lap that. What I'm trying to say is you may want to do your front hatch the way Len does his galley hatches.

BTW, FYI the plural of radius is radii. ;)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby jjoelc » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:12 pm

There is going to be a platform across the bottom of where that lid opens, separating that top section from the lower storage area) so I'm not worried about the strength loss from the lid :D

We have been long time tent campers. I used to do a lot of backpacking as well, usually about 200 miles worth each summer... But then I had to start paying my own bills... Now I'm just old :lol: So this little trailer should suit our needs quite well for the foreseeable future. Of course, that doesn't stop me from mentally planning a foamie build. I just need to find an excuse to do it!

(BTW, I know... But "radiuseseses" is a lot more fun to say!) :R
jjoelc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jjoelc » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:29 am

Not much to see just yet. Got the frame assembled and painted.

Does everyone else get to this stage and wonder if they really knew just HOW small the trailer really is :R I knew I was building small (intentionally so) I had measured, and planned, even did a very rough full sized cardboard mock up (of an earlier design which was actually even slightly smaller than the final plan.) and yet somehow, seeing the steel laid out and waiting, it seems smaller, LOL.

I'll be doing little bits and pieces of work through the week after work, but there probably won't be a lot of visible progress until this weekend, when (hopefully) a lot will happen "suddenly".

Thinking farther down the line... I'm going for the Woody look as far as final finish goes. How do y'all recommend waterproofing and staining? Seems to me that applying the mix would also prevent a stain from soaking into the wood. My first thought is to use one of the 2-in-one stain and poly mixes (usually seen from Minwax, though I'm sure there are other brands) as the poly portion of the mix, thinning it down with paint thinner and applying several coats just as usual for the mix, then (much sanding later) finishing off with a top coat of good UV resistant clear poly. I'm just curious how others have accomplished it, and how well it holds up to weather, maintenance, etc.
jjoelc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jjoelc » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:19 am

Just a quick update to say that there is nothing to update :o
Like many others, it seems life got in the way. Family goings-on prevented me from doing much "real" work at all, and pushed the timeline back enough that getting even this simple project campable in time for this weekend just wasn't going to happen. The good side of that is that it removed some pressure and will allow me the time to leave in place all those corner I planned on cutting!

Otherwise, just bought a few parts here and there, refined my planning on some things like the galley hatch and trailer lighting, and I think we have decided on an overall "look" and finish for the trailer. I'm still aiming for a woody look with stained ply. Decided on a rustic look with black and evergreen hardware and trim. Will probably use the black wooden fence/gate hardware for something of a wrought iron touch to it all. So I haven't been entirely idle (merely physically idle!)
jjoelc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jjoelc » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:30 am

OH!... and I decided to try the neutral or #4 exterior paint tint base method for finishing the exterior (as described in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48290&start=18 ) after looking around through the options it seemed the most economical/bang for the buck with the least long term care and maintenance needed. Another thanks to all of you on the forums for all the help and research you have provided.
jjoelc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby yrock87 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:10 pm

sounds like a fun little project. I would be done by now as well if I would have built this. it is amazing how even with a small project it takes 3 times longer than you think it will. If you are going to the effort of sanding and trying to make the exterior look good, then I recommend steering clear of the stain/poly all in ones. the extra $5 of a second can will be worth it in allowing you to get a second or third coat of stain on if desired, and a second, third, fourth, or fifth coat of poly on without changing the tone of the stain that you will work so hard to get how you want.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Return to Build Journals