Bioheat's Build Thread

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Bioheat's Build Thread

Postby Bioheat » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:38 pm

Hi everyone, so this is the start of my build thread, this build started 2 weeks ago, and needs to be complete by Metal Dash Weekend September 23-25 2016, which is when I plan on using it.
A little back ground, my wife and I like to attend Series Land Rover events, and Metal Dash is the 1st one of the season for us, I drive a 1965 Land Rover model 109 Series 2A Pick-up, and I want my camper to be something that matches it, something like this: Image
Now being a cheap, I of course don't want to pay a lot for the build, so the body parts have been scavenged from friends junk piles, the trailer chassis is an old StarCraft pop-up chassis that came to me free through Craigslist already stripped down, and the internal components (heater, water, electrics and lights came from another free pop-up a Jayco.
So the start of the project was to cut the chassis down to size, it can't be any wider than the truck chassis that the body parts came off of, and can't be any longer than the roof section of the cap I got that goes to the 88 inch model that I got a cap from. The cut down took a week of cutting and welding, then came the tear-down of the Jayco, I need to make sure I have all of the working components before I assemble the body to make sure I can plan out where they're all going to go.
The next part is going to be dropping the axle under the leaf springs to raise the trailer up as the truck has 16" wheels, this is only temporary until I can pick up a different axle that will have the same size wheels as my truck. Once that's done, I'll start bolting up the body panels.
I'll post up some pics this week.
Bioheat
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Bioheat's Build Thread

Postby kudzu » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:51 am

That's a cool little trailer.
kudzu
Donating Member

Return to Build Journals