New Zealand Atma style build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

New Zealand Atma style build

Postby NickinNZ » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:33 am

DSC_0034.JPG
DSC_0034.JPG (207.21 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Well, have finally sold the home gym and the sauna and have enough space to start our build. I bought an abandoned project about a year ago, and there is a bunch of sides and stuff made that I'm not intending to use. The base is great though; really lightly built, 50mm square box frame with a 75mm x 50mm draw bar. Base size is 2400 x 1500. Took off the ugly mudguards that it came with, it's going t have something classier than them and with nice flowing lines. Next weekend will be to buy the 2700x1200x19mm ply for the sides, and a proper pneumatic tyred jockey wheel. Here's some photos of the base. I'm going to edge frame it in 75x25 and insulate the floor and skin with a 6mm ply over the insulation. Good opportunity to run tail and turn light wiring where it's not exposed to the elements on the underside of the trailer too. The wheels are 4 stud 12 inch galvanised trailer wheels- not at all sexy! May swap them out for a 13 or 14 inch model that I can put hubcaps on. I like to think a bigger wheel trails better, but no proof of it - anyone confirm or deny?

This is going to be a simple build; no main power, just 12V, finish will be glass over ply. I drive a 2L Subaru XV, so the aim is to have something as light as possible. Carol and I are empty-nesters, 3 kids out working and studying, so the plan is to have something we can disappear in for a weekend on a whim when we get home from work on a Friday night, or use for longer trips around the country to check out where we might like to retire to. Home at the moment is a 7000 m2 block in the country looking out over Tauranga harbour, which is pretty cool, so may just end up retiring here!!

Anyway, here's some pics of the base as it is currently
Attachments
DSC_0032.JPG
DSC_0032.JPG (204.08 KiB) Viewed 495 times
DSC_0033.JPG
DSC_0033.JPG (200.53 KiB) Viewed 495 times
NickinNZ
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New Zealand Atma style build

Postby Vedette » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:02 am

The base sounds Great! :thumbsup:
Looks like your are off to a good start and have a plan in your head.
In answer to your question and a couple words of advice.
Definitely go with bigger wheels! ..... I have 15" on both of my Teardrops. 39.000 mles at high speeds without a worry or a glitch, and the tire tread looks like brand new. :)
And "do" run AC power (buy a good converter and a 30 amp shoreline plug) you will regret it down the road if you don't do it now.
One other thing is the built in sink debate? :thinking: My suggestion is "don't waste your time, money, and counter space"
We all kook forward to following your build,,,, and Thanks for the pictures.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Return to Build Journals