Brooks' 5x10 Barrett's Mountain Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Brooks' 5x10 Barrett's Mountain Build

Postby hartk1213 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:57 am

brx017 wrote:
hartk1213 wrote:Awesome nice job on the saw..I have I think the newer model and I love it they are great saw ..next step you should do if your not already going to do is make a cross cut sled they are so helpful

Thanks, and yeah I've got a new sheet of 3/4" hardwood plywood and 3/4" MDF on the ready to start making some jigs! First thing will be a crosscut sled for sure. That was the biggest reason I wanted to step up to a better saw. My little 12" capacity Skil has funky little t-slots with "ears" that stick out, so its not jig friendly. About the only things you can use with it is the crappy miter gauge it came with (it flops around in the slots itself), and the rip fence that skews when you clamp it down.

Since you have a similar saw, I've got a question for you. Do you find 36" capacity is enough? The reason I ask is I can shift the fence system to the right and have as much as 50" capacity. Maybe I'll just leave it alone, but it could see it being useful when cutting up plywood. Of course then I would need one heck of an outfeed table! :shock:

awesome you should be able to make quite a few jigs out of that..i used alot of mdf for my jigs
and for the capacity i find it to be just fine if i need to cut something like a full sheet of plywood ill use my skil saw which is easier to maneuver than a sheet of plywood

here is some of the upgrades i did to my saw if you were looking for some ideas
http://imgur.com/a/NnTeb
hartk1213
Teardrop Master

Postby brx017 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:00 pm

hartk1213 wrote:awesome you should be able to make quite a few jigs out of that..i used alot of mdf for my jigs
and for the capacity i find it to be just fine if i need to cut something like a full sheet of plywood ill use my skil saw which is easier to maneuver than a sheet of plywood

I love the router table idea! Are you using a router lift, or do you just manually adjust the router the old fashioned way?

I think I'll leave the fence where it is. Like you said, it's hard to manhandle a full sheet of 3/4" oak!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby hartk1213 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:05 pm

brx017 wrote:
hartk1213 wrote:awesome you should be able to make quite a few jigs out of that..i used alot of mdf for my jigs

I love the router table idea! Are you using a router lift, or do you just manually adjust the router the old fashioned way?

I think I'll leave the fence where it is. Like you said, it's hard to manhandle a full sheet of 3/4" oak!

The router that I have has a base that can be adjusted with a screw from the top or the bottom so when it's in the table I just use an allen wrench and I can raise and lower the router pretty easily

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
hartk1213
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:01 am

Nice find on the saw and good restoration! Those Rigid saws have a good fence rail and fence design.

I use Johnson paste wax to my saw's top rust free and smooth. I lay it pretty heavy and use a green scotchbrite pad underneath a random orbital sander to "burn it in" and then wipe off the excess.

As the previous poster said, I wouldn't worry about shifting the rails to get wider rip capability. You don't need that capability that often and if you do move your rails the saw can become "tippy". During my build I ripped about 1/8" of the top half of my right middle finger trying to wrestle a full sheet of plywood. You are better off breaking down sheet goods and cutting smaller pieces.

Build yourself some nice jigs. Here's a picture of my "mother of all cross-cut sleds" that I built. It doesn't get used that much - primarily to cross-cut plywood for cabinet boxes - but is very handy and accurate.

I have a much smaller one that I use more often for cross-cutting smaller stock.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby brx017 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:57 am

Thanks, I think it's going to serve me well. One thing I didn't realize until after I bought it, is the the newer model didn't have cast iron wings. They are just stamped steel, so in that regard this older model is better.

It's not "really" funny, but I told one of my buddies at work that I got myself a new finger amputator over the weekend. [GRIMACING FACE] Glad to hear it was "just" the tip of your finger.

You know how one thing leads to another. Now that I finally have a good sized table saw, I want to rearrange my garage workshop. I've had intentions for a couple years to build a miter station, maybe now I'll get around to that, and work in a place to park the table saw when not in use.

First things first though, gotta build a crosscut sled.

Last edited by brx017 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby brx017 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:01 am

Well, it took a couple evenings to finish, but I think I'm done restoring my saw.

I was able to find some 400 grit for my belt sander on Amazon. While I was waiting on it to come, I decided to hand sand a little more.

I started off by making a sanding block to fit my slots, and hitting them with some 120 grit.

Then I went over the whole top again with 220 this time, again keeping it wet with PB Blaster.

Then last night I cranked up the belt sander one last time, with some 400 grit on there and went over the whole top again.

I also hit the slots again, this time with some 180 and 220. Once that was done, I rubbed on some paste wax. I made sure to wax the T-slots too.

Then I got out the drill and made a buffing pad out of a foam ball from a headlight restore kit, wrapped in some t-shirt rags held on with a zip tie.

After hitting it with that, I wiped it all down with another clean rag to get off any excess. Here are the results.

I think it turned out great. There is still some pitting, but the wax filled it in, and it's super slick. I can't believe I was able to get a near mirror finish on it, as bad as it was. It took a while, but I'm tickled with the results. The best part is, it saved me over $350 over a new one!

I also adjusted the fence, it was a 1/16" out of square front to back, and nearly an 1/8" heavy on the cut. I checked and the blade is already parallel to the slots. The only other thing I had to do was adjust the quick stops for 0 and 45 degrees. I used my digital angle gauge and got them both to be repeatedly to within a tenth of a degree, which is as tight of a tolerance that it will measure. Plenty good enough for me, and if I ever need to be dead on I can crack out a square and fine tune it for that cut.

Oh, and I adjusted the miter gauge too, it has preset stops for 45 each way, and 90. They may need to be tweaked once I do some cutting, but they are pretty dang close.

brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:19 am

Great job. That saw has a extraordinary future.

I've been using some spray stuff (from Rockler?) on my PETA endorsed Sawstop but the can is about empty and if I recall it was spendy. I'll grab a can of paste wax soooooon.

Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Alan_H » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:26 pm

tony.latham wrote:Great job. That saw has a extraordinary future.

I've been using some spray stuff (from Rockler?) on my PETA endorsed Sawstop but the can is about empty and if I recall it was spendy. I'll grab a can of paste wax soooooon.

Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Tony

I use Johnson's Paste wax on my Delta. It's over 3 years old now, lives out in my very humid shop and looks as good as new.
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby retep » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:02 am

Very nice job on the saw!!! I have the same saw and am very pleased with it. Seen me through many projects without a hiccup.

I am watching your build closely. The Mrs. is very keen on having a place to sit when it is one of those rainy cold windy days. Have to say you made it look simple, But I am still struggling with proportions. I think a mock up this winter would be a good idea.

Keep up the great work :thumbsup:

Peter
retep
Teardrop Master

Postby brx017 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:23 pm

Thanks Peter. I haven't used it a ton, but I really like the saw so far. Most of what I have used it for has been making jigs for it! So far I have built a large crosscut sled, a tiny crosscut sled, and a miter sled. I also built a router table into it, and a fence for that.

I also helped a buddy of mine make a Bluetooth hi-fi speaker on it, out of White Oak and Chechen. It turned out pretty good, I'll have to get a picture of it.

As far as the fold up sofa, that's something l knew I wanted. I don't like sitting in bed, it's just not comfortable to me. So propping pillows against the wall wouldn't cut it. I went off some geometry I knew I liked and went from there.

Hopefully I'll get back to the build sooner than later. It's been a wild past few months. I'll post an update with some pictures hopefully soon.

brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby Viking_Tear » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:15 pm

brx017 wrote:
Hopefully I'll get back to the build sooner than later. It's been a wild past few months. I'll post an update with some pictures hopefully soon.

Ahhh, here's to hoping you haven't stopped building! :wine:
Viking_Tear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Homebrewer25 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:13 pm

I hope the long delay in posting means that you've finished the tear and have been spending lots of time camping in it.

It's been a while since you asked, but that piece of wood looks like Beech to me. It is quite hard, dense, very close-grained, and isn't very attractive as a furniture wood (but very strong for furniture framing, like in upholstered furniture). To me it has a 'grayish' cast to it, maybe because of all of the little flecks (called rays) in it. I built my 3 x 6 workbench with a 3" thick beech top made by ripping 8/4 beech into 3 1/4" strips, planing them to the max thickness to just clean up both surfaces (about 1 3/4" - 1 13/16"), then gluing face to face. I finally planed it to 3" thick (at the time I had access to a 36" industrial planer).

american-beech1-200x200.jpg
american-beech1-200x200.jpg (11.17 KiB) Viewed 4054 times

I have a question about your bed/couch: is the sliding/folding mechanism the full length of the bed, or does the mattress extend past the floor cutout? From the pictures it doesn't look like the floor cutout is 76-80 inches long.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby brx017 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:26 pm

Viking_Tear wrote:Ahhh, here's to hoping you haven't stopped building! :wine:

I wish I could say that I haven't stopped, but... I have.

Life is full of surprises. It would have been cramped quarters for my family of three, but I was determined to make it work with a bunk bed for my six year old daughter.

Well, fast forward a year and now we're a family of four! We are a foster family, and we got a call out of the blue last August about a one day old baby that needed a family. It's been a wild ride but we've got the adoption paperwork processing now. Hopefully in a few weeks it will be finalized and I can give some more details, but for now that's about all the info I can share on the internet.

So, we knew it wouldn't be too much fun to cram everyone into a sardine can, so we started shopping around. My wife found a cute vintage trailer online, and we bought it. I've been working on updating it as the schedule allows. I've just about got it how we want it now. So, I haven't stopped building altogether, just on the teardrop.

Anyway, here's a picture of our 14 ft 1973 Kamp N Go:

I'll share some better pictures a little later on, this is the best I've got on my phone right now.

brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby brx017 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:48 pm

Homebrewer25 wrote:I hope the long delay in posting means that you've finished the tear and have been spending lots of time camping in it.

It's been a while since you asked, but that piece of wood looks like Beech to me. It is quite hard, dense, very close-grained, and isn't very attractive as a furniture wood (but very strong for furniture framing, like in upholstered furniture). To me it has a 'grayish' cast to it, maybe because of all of the little flecks (called rays) in it. I built my 3 x 6 workbench with a 3" thick beech top made by ripping 8/4 beech into 3 1/4" strips, planing them to the max thickness to just clean up both surfaces (about 1 3/4" - 1 13/16"), then gluing face to face. I finally planed it to 3" thick (at the time I had access to a 36" industrial planer).

american-beech1-200x200.jpg

I have a question about your bed/couch: is the sliding/folding mechanism the full length of the bed, or does the mattress extend past the floor cutout? From the pictures it doesn't look like the floor cutout is 76-80 inches long.

Homebrewer, please see the post I just left above regarding the delay... The bad news is the teardrop frame is now parked outside beside the garage, not getting any love. The good news is we now have a camper big enough to meet our needs as a family. We have had several opportunities to take her out this Summer... Including a trip to the beach over Memorial Day weekend, where the transmission went out on my Honda Pilot 200 miles from home. We made the best of it though. We boondocked overnight in the parking lot of a fireworks store. Then the next day I hitchhiked, rented a uhaul, and towed her to the beach. When the trip was over, I bought a truck to pull her home with.

Here's a picture of my temporary rig: Image

And here's a picture of my new rig on the way back from the beach:

You are right on the wood, it is Beech! I got the wood from our sample frame shop at work... I work at an upholstered furniture factory.

As for the bed/couch... My floor cutout is around 58" head to toe. There's about 9" of solid floor at the head end, then the 58" recessed floor, then about 13" of solid floor at the feet. That gives me a full 80" total. The mattress was going to be segmented to allow it to fold up easier. If you want any more details, including my CAD drawings, I'd be glad to share them with you.

brx017
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals