Build smart not fast

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Build smart not fast

Postby tawright915 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:29 pm

Okay so I've been working on my version of a canned ham build for a while. It took me a while to sand off all the rust on the frame and I moved on to the floor.
Here is the problem. Because of lack of space and wanting to get this build done fast, I built the floor in my garage on the ground. The problem here is that it weighs a ton. Not only did I not build it on the frame, but I also built with bottom down so now I need to flip it and seal the bottom before I put it on the frame. Did I mention how heavy it is.

My options are,
1. rebuild the floor on the frame the right way.
2. cut the floor in half and seal it and then mount it on the frame. (cutting in half would make it lighter to move)
3. Have some the younger high schoolers in my church to come over and help me out.

I may go with option three. Although, option one is tickling my fancy.

So work smart not fast....take your time.

Tom
tawright915
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Build smart not fast

Postby daveesl77 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:24 pm

A couple of thoughts...

Get a few friends over to help flip it. Mount temporary "handles" on one side to attach a comealong to flip it. Remember the old "lever-fulcrum-move world" thing. Raise it enough to put something under it so fingers don't get squished.

Bet a couple of young guys a beer that they cannot raise it and then carefully turn it over. Might take 2 beers. Be sure to bet them in front of girls. :D

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Re: Build smart not fast

Postby dogscats » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:49 pm

come a long , rafters, a 4by4 ran over a few rafters . Works for me when I lift something heavy.
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Return to Build Journals