DaBearSox Weekender Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: DaBearSox Weekender Build

Postby DaBearSox » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:20 pm

KCStudly wrote:I'm not seeing the images for the two previous posts, though that last one looks good. :thumbsup:

Thanks, alright think that should take care of the pictures not showing up. Was using a link from google plus before now I just figured out the gallery on the site.
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:02 am

Well Denver gave me a gift and we're are having 3 days straight of 75+ weather so I wanted to get my epoxy done on the pieces I cannot do in the house. I went with Duckworks DWX and have to say although the whole process was not the funnest thing the product worked great. (Epoxy newb) There were no face burning fumes or extremely terrible odor like I have read about. The fast hardener gave me enough time to do all my coats with one mix per coat. After the winter I will sand down to smooth it out and possibly do one more coat (did 3 yesterday) or just sand down and do some coats of UV Protecting varnish.

Before (2 coats of indigo aniline dye)

After (lighting in the garage not the greatest this morning)
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby retep » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:35 am

Now that is looking very nice. I really like the shape. Great work so far. I look forward to your progress.
Cheers
Peter
retep
Teardrop Master

Postby DaBearSox » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:39 pm

Taking a long weekend to get some stuff done while the weather is still nice. Progress so far...

Walls up!

Using a helping hand to position the spars

Making sure the fantastic fan supports are spaced correctly

Pocket hole jig really coming in handy

2nd set of spars added to support the solar panel

Underside

Done for the day
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby les45 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:57 pm

DaBearSox wrote:

Great minds must think alike. I called mine my "third hand". Working alone forces you to get creative.
les45
500 Club

Postby DaBearSox » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:05 pm

les45 wrote:
DaBearSox wrote:

Great minds must think alike. I called mine my "third hand". Working alone forces you to get creative.

Yep! Took the idea straight from your build thread. Plus never using a pocket hole jig before I wanted to test it out.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:29 pm

The rest of the long weekend:

Installing the front spars

After spacing making a hole in the sidewall for my shore power inlet I decided to install it on the nose so added a panel that will hold it. I was planning on having my PD4045 and solar controller located in the front cabinets so it works out...

called it a day while the glue dried

front

side

back

Making sure door fits.
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:36 pm

Coming right along! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby DaBearSox » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:04 am

Started on the front interior. I decided to have my power centers in the middle of the front shelving with open shelves on the sides. I am planning on having the side panels that box in the wiring to be removable so that I can have access to the back of the panel. Just need to figure out how I am going to do that.

Framing out the shelf

Gluing on the shelf

Positioned my busbars, the covered ones will be hot distribution and the uncovered is the grounding busbar. Hole cut in the front panel for the shore power inlet.

PD4045, cutout above is for my solar panal controller, the top holes are for 2 reading lights, the middle holes are for switches that will control the porch lights, and the bottom holes are one 12V inlet, and one USB plug. The clamped 1/8 ply is just for planning purposes.

Started running some wiring, split wire loom added through the spars. The rest of the wiring will be covered as well before insulation and roofing.

closeup
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby les45 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:11 pm

Looking good!!
les45
500 Club

Postby DaBearSox » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:14 am

Thanks Les!

I have a small 12V 8aH battery coming so I am going to test my circuits before I seal everything up. I have Thursday and Friday off so I am hoping to get most of the electrical done and get back to working with wood. If i can get a heater that will keep the garage warm enough to cure epoxy I should be done by mid spring. Word of advice to any non-wood working person who likes to think a lot on projects...building a teardrop trailer takes a good bit of time...
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:48 am

Electrical full speed ahead. I picked up a little 8aH 12 volt battery to start testing my circuits and got my front panel installed.

DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Alan_H » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:07 pm

DaBearSox wrote:Electrical full speed ahead. I picked up a little 8aH 12 volt battery to start testing my circuits and got my front panel installed.

Won't the cooling fan in that PD4045 bother you at night?
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby DaBearSox » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:21 pm

Alan_H wrote:
DaBearSox wrote:Electrical full speed ahead. I picked up a little 8aH 12 volt battery to start testing my circuits and got my front panel installed.

Won't the cooling fan in that PD4045 bother you at night?

I am one of those people that needs a fan at night to sleep so not at all. I plan on having a little .3amp USB fan going at night as well.

Also, most of the time I will probably be boondocking so from what I have heard the little fan does not operate if the converter is not operational. I have been testing circuits by clipping in a little 8aH battery to the PD and the fan didn't budge while running the fantastic fan and 6 lights. (if this is a problem some one let me know)
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:32 pm

Got almost 100% of my wiring complete and checked. All circuits work and I tested my DC plugs for both the TV and the Bluray and watched a little Batman Begins off of the 12V 8aH tester battery. Back to some woodworking...

Adding some trim to the front panel

Got side panels to cover the electrical area. These walls will be removable to I can have access to the wiring if need be. I also got all my in ceiling wiring covered in split loom tube and taped up.

Positioning check before gluing in the side shelf supports.

Front and side view of completed front shelves and electrical center.
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals