DaBearSox Weekender Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

DaBearSox Weekender Build

Postby DaBearSox » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:24 pm

So here we go! After much consideration and looking over numerous threads on this site, not to mention horrible HF customer service, I have just ordered the Ironton 5x8 Utility off of Amazon for a total of $479. ($489 + 15 tax - 5% cash back on discover card) Free shipping on Amazon beat the $50 off plus shipping on the NT website. I plan on following Mike's weekender plans pretty closely for the body with some personal touches on the interior and galley. Trailer estimated to arrive July 14th to the 19th. Will keep a pretty good journal along the way. Since this is a build that I then plan on taking a long US road trip next year I will also probably start a blog so that freinds and family can follow me along on my journey. Super excited to get this going!
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Re: DaBearSox Weekender Build

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:00 pm

Welcome to the forums. The weekender was a serious contender for me when I first started looking at small campers. I think it is a good choice for a relatively quick build. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby les45 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:05 pm

I built a takeoff on Mike's weekender and added a few unique twists. Here is a link to my journal:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49333

If you have any questions or want to discuss anything, you can PM me or email at [email protected].

Good luck with your build.
les45
500 Club

Postby DaBearSox » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:09 pm

Les, Thanks! Your build journal is amazing and almost exactly what I want to put together options wise.

Anyway, sawdust started today! Most of the day was taken up by building some harbor freight saw horses so I could get a build table up. I would advise if anyone else gets HF sawhorses that you make your own measurements and do not follow the chinese made guide holes. So after getting those together I marked out my cuts following Mike's weekender design plans and got my first side panel cut. I also ordered some doors from Vintage so I am going to wait to make those cuts until they arrive. My NT Trailer and hitch should arrive in the next couple days. I don't have a table saw so I am making cuts with a circular with a laser guide. Have to say they came out pretty straight, at least to the naked eye. Sure I will get some use out of my sander when I start framing. Pictures not much but its a start!

DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:36 pm

So finally had another day off that I could get some work in. My NT trailer is waiting at the dispatch center to be delivered. Hopefully I can schedule them to come sometime this week so I can have a big piece. As of now getting my sidewalls done is the priority. After that I will assemble the trailer and lay the flooring. I got my 2nd sidewall cut today and attached the addition to my first sidewall. I got to use my new router and made a lap joint to connect the nose piece to sidewall one.

Lap joint being glued with Titebond III

They should add this use to the infomercial.

hoping for a snug/tight fit
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:59 pm

Making some progress!

Measured out my nose on the drivers sidewall

Cut out the nose

Starting to look like a weekender

Positioned door ring to mark for door cutout

Door hole cutout and outer frame being cut

Bottom frame piece being glued
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Alan_H » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:59 pm

Lookin' Good DB!! What type of plywood are you using?
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby DaBearSox » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:14 pm

It's 7/32 underlayment 3 ply the outer plys are birch and the inner is poplar. Going for the sandwich on the sidewalls. I picked up some indigo aniline dye and gonna see if it works with the thin ply grain. My vintage tech doors are stainless and plan to trim my rough circ saw cuts in stainless or black rubber.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:51 pm

Got a little more work in yesterday. Waiting for glue to dry really cuts into productivity...

Outside framing complete on driver's sidewall

Testing my aniline dye on scrap piece that came from my door opening. Just wanted to see a rough idea of the color and if I wanted to go with it. Will mix properly and should come out a little deeper.
Last edited by DaBearSox on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:00 pm

DaBearSox wrote:Waiting for glue to dry really cuts into productivity...

I find that when I make 'to-do' lists it is far more productive. Whenever I find myself in that situation, waiting for something, be it glue to dry, materials to be sourced or arrive... whatever... when I have a list it is easy to look at the list and see what I can work on in the meantime. It also comes in handy when you want to get a little something more done "this session", but don't want to launch off into a big undertaking; just look on the list and pick something that fits your mood, and that you have the material and time for. It all needs to get done anyway.

Yeah, sure, somethings need to be done sequentially, but there are plenty of other things that can be done ahead.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby DaBearSox » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:00 pm

So still chugging away. Over the last week I got my other sidewall completed with the outer frame glued into place. I have decided that I am going to swap the sidewalls and see if I can find a better looking plywood for the exterior. As well as a 4x10 size so I don't have any joint seems. We'll see what the lumber yards in Denver have to offer. No pics because they were all the same as posted above.

I got around to opening my NT 5x8 trailer boxes yesterday and started to inspect the parts. The boxes arrived in rough shape but I was hoping the contents were still intact.

First look seemed that everything showed and was in good shape.

On one side of the axel there seems to be a large metal burr from a bad weld. This worries me a good amount...

Also, the fenders have some pretty bad scratches through the paint, looks like the springs were rubbing against them a good deal during shipping.

I have contacted NT through Amazon (where I purchased it from) to see what they will do for me before I start constructing this thing....
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Alan_H » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:56 pm

DaBearSox wrote:So still chugging away. Over the last week I got my other sidewall completed with the outer frame glued into place. I have decided that I am going to swap the sidewalls and see if I can find a better looking plywood for the exterior. As well as a 4x10 size so I don't have any joint seems. We'll see what the lumber yards in Denver have to offer. No pics because they were all the same as posted above.

I got around to opening my NT 5x8 trailer boxes yesterday and started to inspect the parts. The boxes arrived in rough shape but I was hoping the contents were still intact.

First look seemed that everything showed and was in good shape.

On one side of the axel there seems to be a large metal burr from a bad weld. This worries me a good amount...

Also, the fenders have some pretty bad scratches through the paint, looks like the springs were rubbing against them a good deal during shipping.

I have contacted NT through Amazon (where I purchased it from) to see what they will do for me before I start constructing this thing....

Check the packaging boxes before you trash them. Some folks report that the Manufacturers Statement of Origin (needed to tag your trailer) gets mailed to them, and some state that it is in the packaging. Mine was taped to the inside of the long box that the main frame rails, axle and tongue rails were in. I took mine to the DMV along with my emailed receipt to show taxes paid, and had no trouble registering and getting my tag. The trailer is still in pieces, but I have a tag and registration for it!! :thumbsup:
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby DaBearSox » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:46 pm

Thanks! Mine were mailed separately.
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:21 pm

NT got back to me today and they will be sending replacement fenders and a replacement axle. So other than a little of a PITA at least they got it right.
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:35 pm

With both sidewalls framed i decided to start on the NT trailer today. They said my new fenders and axle should be here in 3 to 5 days so I will hopefully finish it up next week and start the floor.

Finally get to use our unused crates...

Sidewalls in the background

Wasn't that tough. Got it mostly square, I was about 1/16" off on a couple right angles. After positioning for awhile I chalked it up to Chinese machinery and called it good.

Front view...don't mind the random parts...
Last edited by DaBearSox on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals