DaBearSox Weekender Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: DaBearSox Weekender Build

Postby brx017 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:58 pm

DaBearSox wrote:Wasn't that tough. Got it mostly square, I was about 1/16" off on a couple right angles. After positioning for awhile I chalked it up to Chinese machinery and called it good.

Looking good!

If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't get mine dead square either when I put mine together about a month ago.

Funny that your certificate was mailed, mine was in a manila envelope inside a Ziploc bag, taped to the inside of one of my boxes. Maybe it depends on delivery method. I ordered mine off their website and opted for the free ship-to-store.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby DaBearSox » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:17 pm

brx017 wrote:
DaBearSox wrote:Wasn't that tough. Got it mostly square, I was about 1/16" off on a couple right angles. After positioning for awhile I chalked it up to Chinese machinery and called it good.

Looking good!

If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't get mine dead square either when I put mine together about a month ago.

Funny that your certificate was mailed, mine was in a manila envelope inside a Ziploc bag, taped to the inside of one of my boxes. Maybe it depends on delivery method. I ordered mine off their website and opted for the free ship-to-store.

Thanks for the feel good...although I would love to be perfect on everything I have told myself to not sweat the small stuff. Unless I want to spend 2k on tools I am going to have to give a 1/16" inch here and 2/8" there. The trailer and sidewalls are pretty damn close and not off by anything that will be a problem so I should be home free now.

It was interesting to me that I got the title 3 days before the actual trailer. When it showed up it looked like it had been shipped straight from China.

There isn't an NT within 500 miles of here and my discover card was giving 5% back on Amazon purchases...plus the free shipping made me pull the trigger.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:50 pm

Couple of updates...

NT sent me my replacement axle and fenders...axle looks great but they sent me the angular style that the HF trailers have and not the circular. So they said they are going to send me some other ones and that hopefully it was a mix up in the parts department.

Also, got a $50.00 street sweeping ticket this morning...not used to parking on the street... :x Just add that to the budget...
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Picked up some 1/2" 4x10 pieces for my outer sidewalls yesterday. Since it is going to be a "Woody" wanted some better grain for the outside. Thought I picked out some better pieces but have some oval patches. They actually look pretty cool with the stain but may look a little weird on the end product, if I hate it I will just paint.

DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby brx017 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:18 pm

I like the stain a lot, I think it's gonna turn out looking pretty cool.

Where did you find 4x10 (Pine?) 1/2" plywood?

I'm not building a woody, so i don't want to spend an arm and a leg on my plywood. All I can find around here that's 1/2" is 4x10 Maple at $92 a sheet! Or I can get 3/4" BC grade Fir 4x10 for $95.

brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby DaBearSox » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:54 pm

Its' Baltic Pine, got it at this place http://nationalwood.com/ (pretty close to my house). $66/sheet with tax was like $73/sheet.
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Not a lot of fun pictures today but made some progress. Picked up my plywood for the deck which is awaiting to be cut and covered in asphalt goo. Bearings cleaned and repacked today with wonderful grease. Tires installed and flipped right side up. Added the tongue jack, now its a wonderful moving table! Next on the list will be to get the deck installed, make it road ready and get the title so I can test it out before I start putting the tiny home on it.

DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby brx017 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:35 pm

Cool! Are you planning on sticking with the factory wheels and tires for your build? I'm really wanting to upgrade to 15" wheels on mine.

I need to put the tongue jack on mine too, so I can roll it outside to have some workspace in the garage. Sounds like a good late night project.

brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby DaBearSox » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:24 pm

At this point sticking with the factory. They got a little wobble so I gotta take them off and retighten. Something I may consider after a few trips. Read enough from people that have put 10k plus on the factory without a problem so haven't put it in the budget...yet...

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:43 pm

Haven't posted in a couple weeks but have made some good progress. Not much in the way of fun pictures but it's starting to come together!

Got my deck plywood cut and covered in Henry's

After attaching the deck I found that my side cuts were not so true so I decided to get some trim, or what is actually roof flashing

Filled the deck bolt holes with wood filler

Closeup of the flashing

All sanded up, decided just having the trim on the sides looked weird so went and picked some more up at my favorite place HD.

Attached my cleats to the deck....split the ends a little bit when drilling into the metal flashing so glued them up and clamped.

Alas, had something to secure my sidewall too! Used to some clamps to finally get an idea of how it will look. (that is actually going to be an interior wall it was just the easiest to move off my horses at the time)

After the cleats were both installed I primed the deck and installed 12x12 vinyl peel and stick.

Next up, designing my cabinet layout, adding cabinet frames to sidewalls, and sandwiching!
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MadMango » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:19 pm

Looking good!
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby DaBearSox » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:40 pm

So haven't had a lot of days of work the last month or so but getting back into it. Ran into a decent set back yesterday when I went to get my hitch installed. Well the hitch didn't line up to the holes because a former accident crinkled the back support bar. Went and raised hell at the body shop and they are going to fix it. Problem is I wanted to take the trailer out for a spin before I start attaching the walls so hopefully they can get that fixed pretty quickly or I need to find a friend with a hitch so I can test it out. Fall is def here in Colorado and looks like I wont be getting to epoxy anytime soon so I may need to invest in a decent space heater for the garage or wait til next spring to seal.

Finishing up the sidewall framing

All framed up (a couple more cross members added later)

Blow torch and a box cutter to cut the foam insulation

Sandwiching together
Last edited by DaBearSox on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:10 pm

dry fitting the door
Last edited by DaBearSox on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:31 pm

First coat of aniline dye
Last edited by DaBearSox on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:35 pm

I'm not seeing the images for the two previous posts, though that last one looks good. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals