A 'learn as I go' trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: A 'learn as I go' trailer

Postby antalog » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Image Image
Got the insulation roughed into place. (not the best photo)

And just cause I couldn't contain my excitement and curiosity I put the masonite layer on and clamped it down. Its comin' together!

Strung the 120v across and left room room in the insulation to make that happen.

Here's where I have things placed in the galley (so far). If it all makes sense then Ill start building it into the cabinets. Fortunately I left certain pieces of the galley unfixed.

And just for the hell of it, I turned the trailer around so I could get sunlight into the back while I work on it. So heres finally a clear shot of the left side profile.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:04 pm

toconnor602 wrote:Its looking really good!

Thank you!

Mushin wrote:Good looking build!
Word of caution as it looks like you have the same stargazer window I have. Mine leaked alot! Not around the outside edge but where the rubber and glass meet up. May wanna test prior to finding out the hard way and seal up before final install. Hopefully yours is good to go though!
Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the heads up, Mushin! Ill check it out before I put it into place. I could see how that would be a real bummer :cry:

KCStudly wrote:I used a hand plane to true up the butt crosswise joint in my ceiling skin, then backed and glued the joint together under clamp force before installing.

Since it is too late for that, here are a couple of other ideas;
First, don't forget by the time you get the outside all sealed up there won't be any light shining thru so the gaps won't be anywhere near as noticeable.
Second, once you get your front shelf or cabinet in, it won't show as much.
Third, if you want the "unsightly" gaps to disappear, it is far easier to "celebrate" the repair by hiding it in plain sight, than it would be to try to blend it in so that you don't see it. In other words, consider adding a nice dark trim strip (or a lighter one) of different species to cover the gap. Put a little round over or ogee detail on the edges if you like and match the inside corners with 1/4 round... then carry that same trim theme subtly throughout the build, using the same finishes and highlights on your cabinet doors, drawer pulls, whatever. Everyone will think you planned it that way from the beginning!

Yeah, that's a good idea KC, I should have put the pieces together before putting it in. That certainly would have made it easier. Im gunna spin on a few ideas on how I'll resolve it / finish it. I do know that if I can see the white slivers of the insulation when its all done I wont be able to sleep in that trailer. :D
Thanks for the input.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:28 pm

Progress has slowed a bit because of normal life stuff and rain... Even though Im building in a garage, the rain is a factor :x

View from the top. THAT would have sucked...

On a semi-related side note, I was able to install the tow hitch, wiring harness AND cut out the reflectix for our tow vehicle.

Back to the task at hand - I cut out the ribs for the hatch. Im going to gladly take ownership of my crummy jigsaw skills, BUT I dont feel its normal to have to hold the saw at a 15° angle to cut in a straight line. I dont know...

4 ribs. Two 3/4" and two 1x2".

Wavey gravy

Progress. Only had 100 grit pads on hand so it was slow going. Gunna fix that today.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ELM » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:26 pm

Sounds like your jigsaw is worn out and it's making a lot of extra work for you. It's time for different one or a new jigsaw.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby antalog » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:18 pm

Yeah, its a brand new DeWalt. I bought from HD, didnt start using it for a few months and now its outside the return date. But Im gunna dig around and see what I can find.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ELM » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:17 pm

antalog wrote:Yeah, its a brand new DeWalt. I bought from HD, didnt start using it for a few months and now its outside the return date. But Im gunna dig around and see what I can find.

Are you using to fine of blade maybe. I've used to fine of blade before on wood and it got hot and wouldn't cut straight. I wood think a new saw would cut good.
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby antalog » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:07 pm

Shaped.

Next step is trimming out part of the interior wall in the galley. The space in there now isnt enough to fit the 2x2s and sheathings.

ELM wrote:Are you using to fine of blade maybe. I've used to fine of blade before on wood and it got hot and wouldn't cut straight. I wood think a new saw would cut good.

I've tried a lot of different types of blades with different TPI and purposes. As well as in different thickness wood. Its pretty jacked up. Ive always had good experiences with DeWalt. Must of got a dud, or I f-ed it up out the box somehow. When the mood strikes Ill see what I can find online.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:26 pm

https://youtu.be/g6J4cbzGjDI

Well he nailed it several times. Sums it up at 7:05

And having the dust blower would be a huge saver for me too. Im constantly having to blow the sawdust out away from my line. Looks like I just got their bottom line model.... Live and learn (and watch reviews before purchasing :cry: )
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:50 pm

Got the hatch skelton in.

No hinge in, just lookin'

Gunna have to push the top cabinets back about an inch or two.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:46 am

So, I'm looking to put a bigger set of tires on the trailer and am having a tough time find the right dimensions I would need.

I'm not entirely sold on the fenders that came with the trailer so, I'm open to thinking about switching those up if need be. But I'd prefer to not have to spend the extra money right now. If possible.

What size tires have people used in the past? The 2 tire places I talked to here both told me to bring it in to take a look but obviously can't do that right now.

I'm thinking a 14" tire. But if I could get some input before I purchase than I'd feel better about it.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ELM » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:44 pm

Most all trailer axle bolt patterns are 4.5 on 5. You can go to most Walmart's and buy a 14" rim and tire and try it and see if you like it or not. Hope that helps.
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby antalog » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:58 pm

That's exactly the kind of info I needed! Thanks ELM. That was super helpful. I think I found some nice looking wheels to go on there now. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:47 am

By no means a legitimate schematic diagram!

I just whipped this up as more of a quick blueprint for wiring and to keep my brain at bay.

Im doing 8ga from battery to my Progressive Dynamics 4045.
12ga for everything running 12v and romex 12-2 for the 110v.

Red = 12v
Green = 110v
Blue = Shore

Also, I didnt include the PD4045. I went for simplicity so I just presumed all power comes straight for the battery in this blueprint. Also, the blue shore power line is just overlapping some of the black lines only cause theres not enough space. Im not doing any weird splicing there. Its going straight into the panel as the manufacture recommends.

Im running a cutoff switch. Im also running one (maybe 2) 12v LED light strips. I have to do some investigating on how to actually run it electrically, so those arent included in there.

Anyone have suggestions or see any red flags let me know. This step is definitely my crux. Once I know I have power in and its functional then I can go full force with finishing!

More to come! :twisted:
Last edited by antalog on Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:01 am

I should also mention

Im currently planning on using these kinds of switches in the cabin for all the light switches.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... d=83872036

The price is right and I prefer the look and feel of these over most other things Ive found.

Is there any issues I should be aware of for using a switch like this? For what Ive read online it shouldnt be an issue but I just wanted to see if there was any other info I may need to know.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby guymi » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:43 am

Nice work félicitation
guymi
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals