A 'learn as I go' trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: A 'learn as I go' trailer

Postby Tigris99 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:20 pm

Advise:

If you have to store for the winter and it's moist out. Get a couple buckets of Damprid. Put a bigger one in the main space and one in the galley. It will keep the moisture out of the air inside the teardrop.

I would bleach all that, allow to dry and properly coat all the wood. Put a dehumidifier or the Damprid buckets inside the trailer to deal with any moisture as the wood fully dries out.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby antalog » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:10 pm

Tigris99 wrote:Advise:

If you have to store for the winter and it's moist out. Get a couple buckets of Damprid. Put a bigger one in the main space and one in the galley. It will keep the moisture out of the air inside the teardrop.

I would bleach all that, allow to dry and properly coat all the wood. Put a dehumidifier or the Damprid buckets inside the trailer to deal with any moisture as the wood fully dries out.

Ahh, thats good advice. I didnt even know about that product! Ill definetly give that a try.

Any suggestions on what to coat the wood with? I know theres mold prevention paint but was hopong to use something that was clear like a polyurethane. Shouldnt be a problem, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:13 pm

antalog wrote:
Tigris99 wrote:Advise:

Ahh, thats good advice. I didnt even know about that product! Ill definetly give that a try.

Any suggestions on what to coat the wood with? I know theres mold prevention paint but was hopong to use something that was clear like a polyurethane. Shouldnt be a problem, right?

^ I mean polyurethane for the inside. The outside is most likely going to get the mold killer paint before I skin it.

antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tigris99 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:16 am

The inside you just need to clean REALLY WELL and get it good and dry, then polyurethane should be fine.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:14 am

I have always been told to use TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) and bleach together.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby antalog » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:08 pm

And the galley is out.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:09 pm

I vacuumed up all the major mold spores throughout the entire trailer and then scrubbed every inch using a mixture of 1 part detergent, 10 parts bleach, 20 parts water. I scrubbed the entire trailer twice about a week apart. Gave it about another week or so to dry and then painted the outside with Zinsser Mold Killing paint. I also painted the hatch skeleton as it had a substantial amount of mold on the plywood ends and open grain.

As posted before I ripped out the galley. I've started rebuilding it, I have the plywood all cut and placed, just need to frame up the cabinets again.

Yesterday I did one coat of the 3-Layer polyurethane on the inside walls. Going to give it another coat just to give it a bit more thickness and hope for a smoother finish.

Polyurethane on the underlaminate gives a nice rich finish, Im pretty pleased with how it looks, once all the finishes are in it should feel real nice

Im not painting the polyurethane all the way into the galley
Instead what Im going to do is, because there's a seam of between to boards of underlaminate in the galley and the rabbet that runs along the curve where the hatch will nest onto is pretty rough, I've decided to use beadboard on the galley walls to give it a much nicer / cleaner uniform finish.

antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:10 pm

Round 2 on the galley....

Got the new counters and walls up

On the previous cabinets I used poplar but I didnt really like the way it looked, so I switch to oak on these. But nicer in my opinion

Upper and lower... for the most part

On the previous setup it was a real tight squeeze for the cooler so this time I fixed that.

I fixed the table saw this spring so now I have more options. I decided to try my hand at frame and panel cabinet doors.

Cant quite see the pencil marks but marked out the section I wanted to remove.
Cut the first groove
Cut the second. Now I have the panel voids.

Put the panel in
and heres the backside
You can see that the panel doesnt fit exactly in there but maybe the next 3 I will get better at it.

Dry fit

3 more doors to go, should keep me busy tonight.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby greygoos » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:31 pm

Nice job on the galley and the doors. Having a little bit of a loose fit between the frame and the panel is not a bad thing. It will allow for expansion and contraction.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby crpngdth2001 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:07 pm

Learn as you go? I'm sure there are many lurking here (like me) who would hope to do as well as you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crpngdth2001
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:34 pm

crpngdth2001 wrote:Learn as you go? I'm sure there are many lurking here (like me) who would hope to do as well as you!

Thanks crpngdth2001, I apprecaite that. :)

greygoos wrote:Nice job on the galley and the doors. Having a little bit of a loose fit between the frame and the panel is not a bad thing. It will allow for expansion and contraction.

Ahh, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for that info. I left room in all the other panels I cut this weekend.

I started exploring stains before I glue all the panels together. Would love some opinions of other members. I tried out 3 so far.

#1 Golden Oak 210B
#2 Honey 272
#3 English Chestnut 233

They were all left on for only 5 minutes, the minimum time they suggest on the label. The oak frame has no stain on it as a reference.

And heres the interior again for reference.

My gut says #1, but I also love the deep #3. ....and #2. hahah. I dont know.

I also ordered the sheet metal for the outside. Im still not 100% on what Im going to do, but I have a general idea and Im leaning towards a metal/wood combo. More on that soon.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tigris99 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Nice work, wish i had the time and patience to make a galley that nice!

For a "learn as you go" that teardrop is coming out REALLY NICE!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Alan_H » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:03 am

I vote for #2 Honey 272. :applause:

It really brings out the grain, has more character than the Oak, but not so dark as the Chestnut.
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby greygoos » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:13 am

If you use the same stain on the panels and frames they will come out a different color or tint.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby ELM » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Looking very nice. I vote for the golden oak stain. :thumbsup:
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals