A 'learn as I go' trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: A 'learn as I go' trailer

Postby antalog » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:50 pm

Put up some temporary joists and took a look at my fan.

I painted up some color stain samples. Im not sure which or either. But I like them both.... for now :)

Here's my interior wall roughed in.

Started to lay in the galley cabinets.

Door placement. I like it.

Sketched in

And cut!

I hollowed out the supports for insulation.

Cut out the window and also cut the insulation voids in the opposite wall. (not pictured)

Gluing the interior wall on.
Last edited by antalog on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:59 pm

Does not look like you are learning as you go but more teaching. Very good job and good pictures too.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby antalog » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:21 am

She stands on her own two feet! :D I got the interior walls glued on, pocket holed the bottoms of both sides and screwed them into the floor.

Put up some of the center joists and cross beams for the fan.

I started roughing in the cabinets now that I have the proper interior dimensions.

I also scored these sweet art deco cabinet handles from a store here in town. Think they'll be a nice touch!
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:22 am

Ron Dickey wrote:Does not look like you are learning as you go but more teaching. Very good job and good pictures too.

Ron

Thank you, sir :)
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 3GKnight » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:21 pm

Looking good!
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:52 pm

Nice handles!

I'm looking at your roof ledge/rabbet and I see it goes all the way to the rear floor. Is this part of Steve Fredrick's method where the roof gets built all the way to the rear and then the hatch gets cut out later? Boy it would really s**k to cut the corner off of the galley counter while cutting the hatch out! :?

I'm sure I've seen the technique before here on the forums but for some reason the fact that the rabbet is running all the way back is standing out as odd to me, at least at the moment.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby antalog » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:31 am

KCStudly wrote:Nice handles!

I'm looking at your roof ledge/rabbet and I see it goes all the way to the rear floor. Is this part of Steve Fredrick's method where the roof gets built all the way to the rear and then the hatch gets cut out later? Boy it would really s**k to cut the corner off of the galley counter while cutting the hatch out! :?

I'm sure I've seen the technique before here on the forums but for some reason the fact that the rabbet is running all the way back is standing out as odd to me, at least at the moment.

To be honest, I hadnt put too much time into thinking about how I was going to have the bottom edge of the hatch link into the trailer. I always kind of knew I would make it work either way but was just gunna cross that bridge when I got to it. But after thinking about what you said it got me thinking and I feel Ive come up with an elegant solution. :thinking:

Ill post up more picture when I get to that part, hopefully soon. :D

EDIT:

Ahh, ok! I think I understand what you are saying now KCStudly. Yes, it definitely gives me something to think about. After looking around and seeing how most people have done I can see where my issues may lie. My original thought was that the outer ribs of the hatch would align with the lip of the rabbet on the inside and then I would run weather stripping under the outer skin of the hatch that overhung the walls, to create the seal. (if that makes sense) I think I have a few oversights in there, including space for the molding+stripping.

My first thought now is, yes I may have to cut that top part of the rabbet out and use that as the basis of my hatch ribs. Thatll give me more room to play with spacing of the seal and it will also tidy up the interior all of the galley.... Im not too concerned with hitting the cabinet, Ill just take my time at those points.

:? Any insight to this would be appreciated. Any alternatives or suggestions. Thanks for the input!
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:21 pm

You could also use the rabbet as a ledge to catch the inner flange, similar to how Tony Latham shows it using the Steve Fredrick's method.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby antalog » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:58 pm

I think that was close to my original "goal". I know I don't want the seam of the hatch to be not at the edge. (ie 2 inches down the side walls. ) I'm pretty sure what my plan is now is to accommodate the weather stripping and molding by routing down the top edges. Hopefully that will leave everything lying flush.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:39 pm

Just a quick update today.

• Built up the front extension of the floor
• Cut out the door through the interior
• Cut out the window through the interior (not pictured)
• Added all the front joists
• Installed the stargazed frame

If anyone can point me to some stargazer installation guides that would be greatly appreciated. Im not exactly sure how to put it in and I want to make sure I do it right before I make any wood commitments.

Next I plan to finish up the floor and storage box lid and go 100% on the cabinets and hinge placement. Im waiting for my order of trailer lights to come in. Going to drill all the holes and start running wires as well once Im confident on what Im doing with the electrical. Still researching more of the technical stuff as it were.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:53 pm

Cut and placed the insulation. In retrospect I could have made more space for insulation, I was leaning towards the side of structural strength, but now it looks kinda bare.

Got 80% of the floor in. That piece in the bottom right is just temporary.

Hinge support is in.

Ceiling going up.
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby antalog » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:57 am

Celingin in.

Next time I will rethink the ceiling. It became pretty difficult getting the seams to line up. There was a lot of sanding and refitting. Next time I will probably just try to split it down the middle.

As you can see
antalog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby toconnor602 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Its looking really good!
toconnor602
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:38 pm

I used a hand plane to true up the butt crosswise joint in my ceiling skin, then backed and glued the joint together under clamp force before installing.

Since it is too late for that, here are a couple of other ideas;
First, don't forget by the time you get the outside all sealed up there won't be any light shining thru so the gaps won't be anywhere near as noticeable.
Second, once you get your front shelf or cabinet in, it won't show as much.
Third, if you want the "unsightly" gaps to disappear, it is far easier to "celebrate" the repair by hiding it in plain sight, than it would be to try to blend it in so that you don't see it. In other words, consider adding a nice dark trim strip (or a lighter one) of different species to cover the gap. Put a little round over or ogee detail on the edges if you like and match the inside corners with 1/4 round... then carry that same trim theme subtly throughout the build, using the same finishes and highlights on your cabinet doors, drawer pulls, whatever. Everyone will think you planned it that way from the beginning!
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Mushin » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:31 pm

Good looking build!
Word of caution as it looks like you have the same stargazer window I have. Mine leaked alot! Not around the outside edge but where the rubber and glass meet up. May wanna test prior to finding out the hard way and seal up before final install. Hopefully yours is good to go though!
Keep up the great work!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mushin
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals