A big offroad(ish) benroy (B.O.B.)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: A big offroad(ish) benroy (B.O.B.)

Postby clear82star » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:03 am

Awesome job!

I found your build on here awhile ago, and recently had your YouTube video pop up on my feed. Enjoyed watching it, and just read through your build for the second time :)

I too, will be "borrowing" some of your designs/ideas posting.php?mode=smilies&f=50#

I'll be uploading my build to here soon, I'm prob 50% done at this point and also have some YouTube videos documenting it... check it out if you have some time... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxPCdlLg-Qg
clear82star
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SCwood » Wed May 15, 2019 3:36 pm

clear82star wrote:Awesome job!

I found your build on here awhile ago, and recently had your YouTube video pop up on my feed. Enjoyed watching it, and just read through your build for the second time :)

I too, will be "borrowing" some of your designs/ideas posting.php?mode=smilies&f=50#

I'll be uploading my build to here soon, I'm prob 50% done at this point and also have some YouTube videos documenting it... check it out if you have some time... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxPCdlLg-Qg

Thanks and good luck with your build!
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SCwood » Wed May 15, 2019 3:53 pm

BOB had some work done recently because after a couple years of camping I noticed a few flaws with the design.

#1- need more speakers! The sound behind or in BOB was great, but if you found yourself hanging out beside BOB at a camp site he was kind of hard to hear. So we cut some holes in him and spliced into the existing speakers. They’re marine speakers that came with colored LEDs in them so I wired the LEDs into the same controller that powers the galley and undercarriage so they match:

#2- need more lights! We realized that when using the side tables at night not much light makes it their way. So a couple small cube LEDs did the trick:

#3- too much baby! BOB has bunk beds, but apparently infants need more of a cage to contain them. So we made the top bunk into a crib:

And of course, we had to test all these new features out so we went to Lake Whitney State Park to go camping. Unfortunately it rained, but we did get to test out how waterproof those speakers were!

Another trip a few weeks later at Possum Kingdom State Park (it rained a little there too. What’s up with all the rain??)

And here’s a video of all the modifications. Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/TSS91iFrTFo
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Captain Monkeyshines » Wed May 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Awesome up grades! Can't wait until l get time to watch the video

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
“When You're Alone”
When you're in the kitchen, you've got to behave
You don't put metal in the microwave
The knobs on the stove are “hands off” no doubt
And when you make toast, don't use a knife to fish it out!
When you're alone, when you're alone
You got to stay safe when you're home all alone.
When you're alone, when you're home all alone
You got to make sure not to die, or choke or burn the house down.
Captain Monkeyshines
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Captain Monkeyshines » Thu May 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Ok. It was a really good video! Funny and informative! Thank you!

“When You're Alone”
When you're in the kitchen, you've got to behave
You don't put metal in the microwave
The knobs on the stove are “hands off” no doubt
And when you make toast, don't use a knife to fish it out!
When you're alone, when you're alone
You got to stay safe when you're home all alone.
When you're alone, when you're home all alone
You got to make sure not to die, or choke or burn the house down.
Captain Monkeyshines
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SCwood » Fri May 17, 2019 10:20 am

Captain Monkeyshines wrote:Ok. It was a really good video! Funny and informative! Thank you!

Thanks!
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue May 21, 2019 4:29 pm

How bad was it to change out to the 3500# rubber? I think I’m going to need to do the same. I’m at 1,800# but still need to add 20-25 gallons water storage. I think I’ll need the heavier rubber.

Looks great by the way. I still need to figure out shade and sun canopies

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue May 21, 2019 4:46 pm

How bad was it to change out to the 3500# rubber?

Brad 'xplained it:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=65537&p=1180844&hilit=+timbren#p1180844

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby SCwood » Wed May 29, 2019 12:46 pm

tony.latham wrote:

Brad 'xplained it:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=65537&p=1180844&hilit=+timbren#p1180844

Tony

Yep, I read that before replacing mine too. The hardest part in reverse is getting the 3500 rubber in since it’s larger. Clamps helped pull it into place for me.
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed May 29, 2019 11:35 pm

tony.latham wrote:

Brad 'xplained it:

Tony

Thanks I just saw this. I called Timbren and they asked me to send some info and they will have their engineering dept look at it and come up with a plan for my setup. Can't beat that.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby ieatfish » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:48 pm

A big thanks for posting such a great build log! The update video is also good to see. It really turned out well. I plan to make one similar, though more of just an O. B., and I had a few questions if you get the chance to answer:

1) Any big regrets on the overall construction and features you put in or anything you'd do differently?

2) How do you like having the 'walkway' go fully under the doors? Any issues with getting dirty in and out? I like the idea of a place to put my shoes...

3) Do you have any pictures of the edge trim at the bottom of the walls at the frame? I'm still unsure how this trim works when the aluminum butts against the frame or overlaps it.

4) How is the AC working out? Glad you installed it?

Thanks again!
ieatfish
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SCwood » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:18 pm

ieatfish wrote:A big thanks for posting such a great build log! The update video is also good to see. It really turned out well. I plan to make one similar, though more of just an O. B., and I had a few questions if you get the chance to answer:

1) Any big regrets on the overall construction and features you put in or anything you'd do differently?

2) How do you like having the 'walkway' go fully under the doors? Any issues with getting dirty in and out? I like the idea of a place to put my shoes...

3) Do you have any pictures of the edge trim at the bottom of the walls at the frame? I'm still unsure how this trim works when the aluminum butts against the frame or overlaps it.

4) How is the AC working out? Glad you installed it?

Thanks again!

Thanks! There’s two things I’d do differently: 1- don’t use that black gravel guard. I’ve had trouble with it shrinking and coming off. I’m going to replace it with raptor liner soon. 2- design storage so it’s accessible without getting in the camper. We’re always reaching in for clothes or this or that and we wind up throwing everything on the front bunks so we can get to it. It’d be nice if the shelves were accessible from the door or a hatch.

The walkways are awesome. I’d 100% do them again. We usually sit on the bed to take our shoes off and then you can leave them on the walkway.

I don’t have any close ups of the trim on me. I’ll try and get some later, but the aluminum and trim just butt up to the steel frame. Nothing overlaps. There’s sealant under the trim so water doesn’t pool and get up under it.

And yes, super happy with the a/c. We went camping in port Aransas about a month ago and it would’ve been miserable without it.

Good luck with your build!
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ieatfish » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:21 pm

SCwood wrote:Thanks! There’s two things I’d do differently: 1- don’t use that black gravel guard. I’ve had trouble with it shrinking and coming off. I’m going to replace it with raptor liner soon. 2- design storage so it’s accessible without getting in the camper. We’re always reaching in for clothes or this or that and we wind up throwing everything on the front bunks so we can get to it. It’d be nice if the shelves were accessible from the door or a hatch.

The walkways are awesome. I’d 100% do them again. We usually sit on the bed to take our shoes off and then you can leave them on the walkway.

I don’t have any close ups of the trim on me. I’ll try and get some later, but the aluminum and trim just butt up to the steel frame. Nothing overlaps. There’s sealant under the trim so water doesn’t pool and get up under it.

And yes, super happy with the a/c. We went camping in port Aransas about a month ago and it would’ve been miserable without it.

Good luck with your build!

Awesome, that's all great to know. I appreciate the quick response.

I've been to Port Aransas and know exactly why it would be nice. I have to remember that while I'm in Arizona now, we plan to use this in lot of climates so that's a good reminder.
ieatfish
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SCwood » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:15 am

B.O.B. Update!

It’s been hot in Texas so there hasn’t been much camping recently, but we did make one trip down to port Aransas in June. It was hot and after two days I got a “check filter” from the A/C unit and it stopped cooling. The filter was clean though. I think all the heat and humidity was just giving it a workout. After letting it rest for a few minutes it fired right back up. I hope it’s not going bad already.

Here’s a some port Aransas pics:

After getting back from that trip I noticed the black gravel guard on the sides of bob were peeling off again. I’ve glued them back on a few times and decided I was done doing that and it was time to switch the gravel guard out for bedliner. I went with raptor liner because it’s cheap and can be thinned to get a finer texture, which is what I wound up doing.

This is the gravel guard peeling off:

There was a ton of adhesive left after peeling it off and it took forever to get rid of it. Goo gone and a metal scraper worked best. It scratched the aluminum pretty good but it didn’t matter because it was about to be permanently covered in bedliner.

Naked bob:

All sanded and taped up:

Two coats of self etching primer:

I used a harbor freight hvlp gun and 10% urethane reducer to thin the raptor liner

The first pass at 20psi resulted in too fine of a texture. Almost like a bad paint job:

I cranked it down to 12psi and the second coat came out great:

There’s a video of the whole process here:

And now bob is ready for fall camping! Well, we have to mix that in with my next camper/rv build which I just started a thread on (viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72146). But it will be fun doing both!
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:05 pm

That came out great. Glad to see Bob's evolution.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals