A big offroad(ish) benroy (B.O.B.)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby SCwood » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:26 pm

Hello tnttt! I've been browsing the site for a while and have gathered many ideas from here, so thanks to everyone who has posted their builds and ideas. They're very helpful.

I recently started my own build and thought a thread to document it was in order. It's going to be a 5'x12' 2+2 benroy with some 33" tires to match the tow vehicle so I can use its spare if needed. The +2 will be bunks that convert into a couch kind of like the camp-inn 560. I've been through a number of designs but have made a final decision on the overall shape and size. Details like kitchen and interior storage are still up in the air though. I also keep going back and forth on whether or not to build storage under the main bed and whether or not to have a water tank system and sink. We'll see.

So, on with the pictures. Here's the design so far.

Went to the steel yard and picked up a trailer "kit."

A little cutting and measuring and my brother and I are ready to start welding in 98 degree Texas heat. We like to start all our welding projects in the middle of summer. Builds character?

My original design called for an angled front to an expanded metal walkway along the perimeter of the trailer, but I think we were delirious from welding in the heat and made them square. I might cut the square edges off and fix it. I haven't decided how much I care yet.

And this is where we wound up at the end of the first weekend. The tire is mocked up in this picture as etrailer and I are not on the best of terms. It's been over a month since I ordered a Timbren axle (or lack thereof?) from them and it keeps getting delayed. I finally cancelled today and ordered from another vendor that actually has it in stock.

This past weekend was spent making fenders. I couldn't find any big enough that I liked so I made my own. They're probably overkill but I want to be able to stand on them if I add a roof rack in the future.

I decided to make them bolt on so I can remove them to build and skin the walls.

I also added some gussets to bolt the floor to the frame. The rear ones are extra large so I can mount stabilizer jacks there too.

And that's where we are today. I have a few details to finish up like safety chain attachment points and drilling bolt holes to mount the floor, but once I get the axle in I'll be mounting that and then painting the trailer in POR-15. Right now I'm planning on rolling/brushing it on since it's supposed to be nasty stuff, but I'm not sure how well that will work on the expanded metal. I might change my mind and wind up spraying it. We'll see.
Last edited by SCwood on Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Re: A big offroad(ish) benroy (B.O.B.)

Postby lrrowe » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:33 am

Welcome to TNTTT.
I myself so far have been a CT builder (modifier).
When It is complete (is one ever complete?), I am thinking I might like to start on a TD for those quick, fast, " go light" trips.
Your frame looks sturdy and something like I would be interested in when and if the time comes to make one.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:03 am

Nice looking weld job.
I see you have a 55 Chevy 2 door hardtop :thumbsup: , I have a 55 Chevy blue & white 2 door post.
Welcome to the forum, :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby aseawood » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:02 pm

:beer:
Looks like a good start!
aseawood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SCwood » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:16 pm

lrrowe wrote:Welcome to TNTTT.
I myself so far have been a CT builder (modifier).
When It is complete (is one ever complete?), I am thinking I might like to start on a TD for those quick, fast, " go light" trips.
Your frame looks sturdy and something like I would be interested in when and if the time comes to make one.

Thanks, and agreed on completeness. I've barely begun and am already prioritizing what I want to build now and what could be added later. The frame should be pretty good... 1/8" 2x2s all the way around except for the tongue which is 3/16".

halfdome, Danny wrote:Nice looking weld job.
I see you have a 55 Chevy 2 door hardtop :thumbsup: , I have a 55 Chevy blue & white 2 door post.
Welcome to the forum, :D Danny

Thanks! The 55 belonged to my wife's father and he was looking to sell it about three years ago. He temporarily stored it in my garage at one point and driving it a little turned into us buying it. As I'm sure you know everywhere you go is a parade with people waving and honking!

aseawood wrote::beer:
Looks like a good start!

Ha! You would.
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aseawood » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:28 am

Make any progress lately? I'm wondering if you made up your mind about cutting off the front corners that were not in the original design. :twisted:
aseawood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SCwood » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:33 pm

Yes, not a bunch, but a little progress. Mostly because I still don't have an axle. It turns out the company that said they had it in stock - Suspension Connection - actually drop ships from Timbren, and Timbren is waiting on parts themselves. But even without a rolling trailer, progress must not stop!

First was a step back - I had welded an attachment point for the cabin on the wrong side of a cross member. It'll be under the cabin and no one would ever see it, but it'd mess up my framing for the floor, so I moved it.

There, that's better.

I also added some safety chain attachment points

And some mounting points for a tool box. Then I filled in the very front part of the tongue with some leftover expanded metal. It just felt odd to leave one part of the frame empty. Maybe I'll stand on it one day and get some use out of it.

I also went down to Plywood Company of Ft. Worth and picked up some plywood for the cabin. They have a lot of wood.

That moment you realize the saw you need is behind 20 sheets of plywood...

And finally... painted the trailer! I wound up going the brush/roller route so I didn't have to flip it to spray. That meant I spent a lot of time under the trailer though. I'm still covered in paint...
Last edited by SCwood on Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:26 am

Keep 'um commin'.

Nice work. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby aseawood » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:39 am

SCwood wrote:And some mounting points for a tool box. Then I filled in the very front part of the tongue with some leftover expanded metal. It just felt odd to leave one part of the frame empty. Maybe I'll stand on it one day and get some use out of it.

Do you have a tool box in mind that fits the tongue of the trailer, or is this a "build the trailer then make a toolbox fit" approach?

Looks good! Can't wait to see it with the axle!

:shock:
aseawood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SCwood » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:36 pm

I looked at a few manufactured toolboxes and none of them were the right size. There would've been at least a 6 inch gap between the box and the cabin, so I decided to make one. The only question is do I make it out of wood or steel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ratrod71 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:09 pm

Nice beginnings! Go man go. We are cheering you on. :thumbsup:
Alaskan Benroy build journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61738
ratrod71
Teardrop Master

Postby b63215b » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:56 am

Great job so far, I am interested to see your Timbren setup. I'm building my second trailer (in design phase) and I want to go with them also.
b63215b
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SCwood » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'd be interested to see my Timbren setup too! I called this past Friday to check on its status and apparently Timbren is still waiting on parts. They said it could be 1-2 weeks or more. I'm not sure if the delay is because I ordered the off road tire setup (ASR2KHDS02) or they're having issues with all axles right now. I've decided if I get to the aluminum skinning stage and still don't have an axle I'll order a torsion axle and do a little upside down welding.

Made some progress this weekend:

Started out by making 5x10 plywood into 5x12. The floor is a 1/2" MDO plywood sandwich. I wanted to go with 1/4" but 1/2" was the thinnest I could find in 5x10 sheets, and was only available in MDO.

My brother starting to cut the 2' extensions we needed. Better presentation means better cuts.

Starting to join the first layer of the floor with something I haven't seen many people here use - biscuits. I've made a lot of furniture using biscuits and they always seem to hold well so I thought I'd use them here.

A little glue and a little clamping to set the biscuits. The 2x4's were temporarily screwed into the floor to clamp the wood.

Added some 1x4s for the middle layer. We also recessed t-nuts into the 1x4s to bolt the floor to the frame. I wanted them in the middle layer so they didn't stick up into the cabin.

Then I got pretty jacked without even having to go to the gym. Used the same t-nuts for them.

Then it was time for a sandwich!

umm... I mean a floor sandwich. A rolling pin worked well to make the bond for 3M fastbond (thanks to the brother for that idea).

A few more biscuits for the top layer

And then some more fastbond

Then we coated the top and bottom of the floor in rum. I mean CPES.

After the CPES dried the floor was painted with some exterior latex paint.

Then we laid down some PL premium and bolted the floor to the trailer.

Finished floor on the trailer. It's a total of 1 3/4" thick but still light enough for two people to lift.

We used the time in-between paint drying to join 3/4" plywood for the sides

And then project my super accurate profile for tracing using a projector

The profile

A little cutting with the jigsaw

A little sanding

And a little routing with a flush trim bit for the second side

And then we had a side panel! Couldn't resist a little mockup at ride height. As soon as my doors come in we'll cut out a skeleton and start insulating and skinning the sidewalls.
Last edited by SCwood on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:34 pm

The mock-up looks great! ...Love the wheels. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby aseawood » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:25 am

SCwood wrote:Then it was time for a sandwich!

I like the radius around the of the top of the sandwich, but the joint down the middle does not look even. I'm concerned about cheese leakage at high speeds.

Also, the mock-up makes it seem like your B.O.B. may not clear the garage door with the wheels on. Have you measured that?
aseawood
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Build Journals