A big offroad(ish) benroy (B.O.B.)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: A big offroad(ish) benroy (B.O.B.)

Postby Camp4Life » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:08 am

Looks great! Thanks for the pics of the brake installation, seems pretty straightforward now :thumbsup:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:04 am

As far as brake orientation goes, ...not disputing magnet or wire orientation... if the shoes happen to have different length linings, it is important to get the shoes oriented properly. One of the shoes may have a shorter lining on it. The shorter lining goes to the front. This is part of a self energizing feature that helps the shoes apply themselves under friction. To tell the truth I'm not 100/ct sure that trailer brakes have this feature, but it is something to be aware of.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby SCwood » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:59 pm

KCStudly wrote:As far as brake orientation goes, ...not disputing magnet or wire orientation... if the shoes happen to have different length linings, it is important to get the shoes oriented properly. One of the shoes may have a shorter lining on it. The shorter lining goes to the front. This is part of a self energizing feature that helps the shoes apply themselves under friction. To tell the truth I'm not 100/ct sure that trailer brakes have this feature, but it is something to be aware of.

You're right - it was the same for my brakes. The instructions talk about the short lining going in the front, too. I just didn't mention it.
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SCwood » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:26 pm

Some more progress...

Started out by planning where the galley and interior cabinets will go so I could figure out where I could remove wood and make a skeleton:

After that I marked where to cut the skeleton:

And started cutting! It was a family affair this past weekend with my father and brother helping out:

Voila, a skeleton:

Then we put the first skeleton on top of the second side and marked and cut the second side:

Two skeletons and lots of sawdust. The walls were significantly lighter after removing all that wood.

Added some 3mm birch to the skeletons and cut it flush with a router:

And we had a skinned side!

It'll look something like this:

Next was filling the cutouts with insulation:

Applying some CPES to the end grain and spar urethane to the skin. No stain - wanted to go for a light wood look.

And then we cut some holes and installed the air conditioner!

Wait, the moth is my brother's...

So, back to my camper... after the urethane was dry we started putting the sides up. Yes, that's one side holding itself up with no support. I was pretty surprised it could do that. It's screwed directly into the side of the floor with 3 inch deck screws and threes some PL Premium in there too.

But we didn't just let the one side hang there. Added the second side and the galley bulkhead to support them.

Manufactured a beam to support the galley hinge:

Started framing out the cabinets:

And that's about it so far. Well, one more thing. Had to make sure the dogs fit (they're not all mine)
Last edited by SCwood on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Captain Monkeyshines » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:43 am

Looks great!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
“When You're Alone”
When you're in the kitchen, you've got to behave
You don't put metal in the microwave
The knobs on the stove are “hands off” no doubt
And when you make toast, don't use a knife to fish it out!
When you're alone, when you're alone
You got to stay safe when you're home all alone.
When you're alone, when you're home all alone
You got to make sure not to die, or choke or burn the house down.
Captain Monkeyshines
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mushin » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:52 am

Lots of progress, nice to get the walls up!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mushin
Teardrop Master

Postby aseawood » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:19 am

Looks like you made a lot of progress on cabinets in just a few hours. Are you biscuit-ing or dato-ing them or just glue and nails?

I like your tiny engineered beam as well. I never thought of doing that for the hatch support, makes sense to beef it up a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by aseawood on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aseawood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 3GKnight » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:00 am

4 dogs? Even part time, picking up poop might put a serious dent in trailer time!

Your build looks really good. I'm anxious to see how the galley looks and works. My next build will be an offroad something and yours is making my brain wheels turn.

**edit*** I just noticed the tennis ball. I should have done that, rather than the golf ball I have. Hit that thing with my head too many times to count during my build.
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:31 am

Mushin wrote:Lots of progress, nice to get the walls up!

I agree!

Gig'em :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby SCwood » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:21 pm

Yes, it's definitely good to get the walls up. Feels like a big step forward. The cabinets are just glued and either screwed or nailed in place. With keeping the exterior skin off for now I can add as many nails and screws as I want and not worry about how they will look.

And life would be hard with a golf ball hanging in the middle of the garage. I'd hit my head on it too!
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SCwood » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Got BOB all buttoned up and it looks just like an rpod!

Just kidding, I decided to abandon my build and buy an rpod.

Kidding again! My brother wanted to take his tiger moth on a trip up to Pikes Peak in Colorado and I rented the rpod to go along too

I've always tent camped until now and this was my first experience with a camper. One reason we rented a camper was to find out what we liked and didn't like about it before I finished BOB, and I did learn a few things:

- The rpod towed like a ton of bricks... attached to a loaded cement mixer... attached to Australia. I've towed a 3k lb boat before with the 4runner before and it was like towing a feather compared to the ~2k lb rpod. I bought a 100watt Renogy solar panel for BOB and was planning on mounting it on the roof, but now I'm thinking I should keep BOB as aerodynamic as possible and make the toolbox big enough to stow the solar panel and keep it in there.

- I bought an aquatainer and was considering getting one of the pumps for it, but my brother's trailer came with one and they're not really the best. I don't want a sink in BOB, but now I'm thinking I'll install an electric water pump and either a water tank under BOB, or maybe just have it pump from the aquatainer, and have a hookup for a hose so I can run water to... wherever. BOB's fenders are big enough to stow two aquatainers each so I could bring along 28 gallons of water if I made some mounts for them.

- We didn't really like having to open cabinet doors inside the rpod to stow things, so the interior cabinets in BOB may turn into shelves

- My brother's moth has a pretty cool attachment point system on the ceiling where you can string things up with carabiners, bungee cords, and bungee cord nets. I might add something similar.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled build... haven't made too much progress due to the trip, but I did make some:

Wired up the clearance lights and the brakes:

And then the next step was to figure out what to do about a galley countertop. I wasn't exactly sure what to use, but knew I wanted something interesting, so I decided to make a butchers block for the counter out of 1x2's. Starting to cut:

Gluing and brad nailing together:

Time to cut it down to size. A little scary, but it came out the right size:

Then it was time to customize it a little. Tracing a stencil into the wood with a razorblade knife:

And burning the design into the wood with a soldering iron:

And we have BOB!

And finally we sealed it with food safe mineral oil that deepened the colors a little bit. I wish it had a little more of the purplish wood running throughout it, but we ran out of it and the back part of the counter will be covered by some of the cabinetry so I think it'll turn out just fine.

That's about it for now. I also started polyurethaning the beginning of the cabinets I installed a few weeks ago so I can install the countertop without worrying about spilling polyurethane on it. Next up is finishing out the galley cabinets so I can start installing things like the PD 4045 and doing some wiring.
Last edited by SCwood on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:41 pm

Looks real nice!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Mushin » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:41 am

Butcher block counter looks great!

Mushin
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:25 pm

Really nice! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby aseawood » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:42 pm

Very nice progress. Any thoughts about using a water tank mounted under the frame rather than multiple smaller tanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aseawood
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals