What type of debris shield do you use?

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

What type of debris shield do you use?

Postby dmdc411 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Seen brush type behind motorhomes, and the flap type on pickups. What type, and where's a good place buy one? Which will protect the front of my tear? Not as easy as I thought finding them.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Re: What type of debris shield do you use?

Postby capnTelescope » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:05 pm

In my experience, pickup mud flaps don't work all that great. Both my tear's fenders have plenty of stone dings on the fronts. :oops: Maybe aluminum tread plate fenders? Full width mud flap? :NC

My best advice, if you want to keep your trailer fairly pristine, is stay on the pavement and avoid muddy roads. Hopefully, someone will have a better answer that we both can use.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:41 am

capnTelescope wrote:In my experience, pickup mud flaps don't work all that great. Both my tear's fenders have plenty of stone dings on the fronts. :oops: Maybe aluminum tread plate fenders? Full width mud flap? :NC

My best advice, if you want to keep your trailer fairly pristine, is stay on the pavement and avoid muddy roads. Hopefully, someone will have a better answer that we both can use.

I echo what Brad said. Mud flaps don't work that well.

I don't know why - maybe it is because of the tongue box altering air flow, but the front corners of my teardrop don't get too much abuse. The fenders are where the greatest assault on my teardrop occurs. After a trip in the rain, you can see the buildup of rocks, dirt and road debris on the fenders. I added 3M paint protection film to the leading edge of the fenders and this has helped quite a lot in protecting the fenders and paint.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby dmdc411 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:27 pm

I think now I've towed it 150 miles. And the fenders have 3 or 4 chips. No big deal, it's the ones that chip the paint and dented the aluminum on the front that concern me! The truck tires are good rock throwers, so I know the cause! Thinking of long flaps for the rear of the truck anyway.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:40 pm

I've had good luck with Rock Tamers. They don't eliminate the chips but they prevent 80-90% of them for me.

Amazon Linky

Shop around though, you can find them cheaper than Amazon.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Build Journals