Welcome to the "Learning Curve"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Welcome to the "Learning Curve"

Postby Lou.Catozzi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:16 pm

I really like that shape. Well done thus far!

Thanks Johnysteam! Slow and unsteady, that's my progress report. That Semi-Standi of yours is pretty sweet. You have the interior decked out pretty nice. I hope mine finishes out as nice as yours!
Lou.Catozzi
Teardrop Builder

Learning Curve - Build Days 18 & 19

Postby Lou.Catozzi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:42 pm

Well, things are progressing slowly. Over the past month or so I've been working on the starboard wall framing. I have most of the framing in place forward of the galley bulkhead. I'm still working out the details of the hatch to sides joint so I wanted to get at least one wall vertical and temporarily in place so I could visualize things better.

This is a wide angle photo so some of the framing looks skewed. It really isn't. Everything is nice and plumb and level that should be. Rather than finish the wall framing aft of the bulkhead I have gone ahead and started framing the port wall. After that piece has caught up to it's twin I'll continue designing and building out the wall design before starting on the galley area and the cabin interior cabinetry. I've also started planning out the electrical systems. At this point I think I'll go with a 12V deep cycle battery on the tongue and charged from the Jeep to power all the lighting and a few USB charging ports and a separate 120V system to power a few outlets in the cabin and galley from shore power at established campgrounds. I plan to use propane canisters for cooking and possibly for lighting in the galley while boondocking. No solar and no battery charging from shore power at this point.
Lou.Catozzi
Teardrop Builder

Learning Curve - Build Days 18 & 19 - Continued

Postby Lou.Catozzi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Today wasn't really a build day. The only tools I used was a ruler and a pencil. This was the first day in about a month that the weather and my health allowed me to even play with the project. I rolled it outside into the driveway and stood up the port side wall and temporarily braced it to get a give me an idea of the size of the finished project.

It is bigger than I have been imagining for the past two years of looking at drawings. It is going to be interesting to see how the Jeep behaves when I try to go somewhere with the teardrop in tow.

Next steps are to finish routing the walls in preparation for adding the roof, finishing the galley design, and then start running the wires in the side walls. After that I'll insulate the side walls, put on the inner wall skins, and get them permanently attached to the floor.
Lou.Catozzi
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Build Journals