My "Small Fry" Generic Benroy Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

My "Small Fry" Generic Benroy Build

Postby Dfryabq » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:23 pm

Attachments_2016825.zip
(849.24 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
Well I have been meaning to start my build journal since, well, I started my build! But I never seem to have the time, since when I was building my teardrop, I spent my time building it. So, I figured I would at least start the journal and ad information as time permits. The teardrop is actually finished, and since my lovely wife tells me I do everything backwards, I figured that I would start from the back end of the build with a few photo's of the finished product.

I used a lot of the generic Benroy plans along with some adaptations of my own and some aspects that I used from other plans. It's built on a 5x8 Northern Tool trailer, and it is actually a 5x10 build and the body it 54" tall, I used 5x5x3/4" Baltic Birch joined together for the sides. I also added a Dexter idler axle, springs, and hubs, with 15" low profile tires and a tongue extension. Most of the trim, hardware and the doors are from Frank Bear at Vintage Technologies and the 5x10 aluminum was purchased locally.

I have taken it twice already into the mountains north of Phoenix and just completed a 2,700 mile round trip to check on my mom, so I have over 3,200 miles on the trailer already. I must say that it just tows like a dream, you don't even know it's behind you except on steep hills, and pulling it with my 1/2 ton Dodge gasser I got about 16.5 MPG on the last trip which include going through the AZ and NM mountains and running 65-70 MPH.

I haven't decided yet, but I may put another drawer in the galley where the water bottle now goes since I really don't seem to use it there mostly putting the bottle on the table that I use behind the galley. I also have an external 5,000 BTU A/C that I duct in from the side. So far haven't needed to add a return air duct to the A/C because I try not to stay where it's that hot since I get all the heat I need in the "balmy" Phoenix summers! Right now I use a radio control remote for Christmas lights to turn the A/C on and off if needed.

More build photos and info to come! :twisted:

Dave Fry

PS: finally got the pics to insert,

Dfryabq
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My "Small Fry" Generic Benroy Build

Postby Dfryabq » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:45 pm

OK, so to start the build info, i picked up a Nortern Tool 5x8 trailer from a guy that had put it together for the purpose of building a teardrop. But he was getting transferred out of state so he decided to sell the trailer for now. He also had the Dexter idler 2,200 lb axle, with hubs, 2,500 lb springs and a 8' piece if tubular metal for the neck extension. I managed to get everything for less then 1/2 what it would have cost me to buy it all direct. :D

I removed the coupler, and flipped the piece over that help it to the trailer A frame. The tongue extension just happend to fit perfectly into the opening and gave me a solid fondation to connect the extension to.

I bolted rhe extension to two cross members at the front of the trailer frame, and the A-frame aupport, and drilled a couple bolts through the front part of the A-frame to secure the extension. Then I re-attached the coupler to the front of the extension. It took a few large washers in between since the coupler was a little larger.

This gave me multiple location of support and connection to the trailer.

I wanted to add that I am retired and only do a little contract work occasionally so I was basically able to work on this about every day until it was complete. It took a good 2 1/2-3 months to complete. I had also planned this out, but made a few changes as I went along as needed or changing my mind on how I, or the boss wanted some things. It also took some considerable time to track down many of the items I needed and doing research along the way!

More to come! Dave
Dfryabq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby yrock87 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:05 pm

looks good, thanks for sharing!

how do you like your galley set up? I am putting mine together now and have the same cooler placement as you, but am torn between making the stove face inward like yours, or straight back. is there a "traffic jam" when you are cooking on the stove and need to get into the cooler?
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby Dfryabq » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Thx! Well no traffic jamb as of yet, we actually have not done a bunch of cooking on it yet. The wife and I have mainly used it for coffee, etc., opting to use the microwave that sets on a table behind us mostly. We just haven't wanted to mess with the clean up from cooking a bunch from scratch. I guess it could get a little tight, but i thought that placing the stove this way took up less side to side space, and we can always pull the stove out and set it on a table which is why I didnt put in a cook top stove and stayed with a camp stove that can be moved.

Dave
Dfryabq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby yrock87 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:18 pm

Makes sense. I want to make mine face inward just like yours because my coleman stove is wider than the space available if the regulator and tank are installed. if I face to the rear, I would need to detach everytime I closed the stove drawer. but if I face to the right/inward, I could leave the 1 lb tank attached when in camp. but I was concerned about tripping over eachother getting to the cooler, cooking on the stove and using the counter for other prep work.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby Dfryabq » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Yes, i think having a table behind or along side makes it much easier to work. The cooler faces the back when you open the drawer, and we actually don't always leave the cooler in the drawer. Sometimes we still put it in the truck bed when traveling to make it Eaiser to get to on the road and put the microwave and A/C unit in the draw! Still kind of playing around deciding what we like best!

PS: pulling the drawer in and out is no problem, its kind of like opening the refrigerator at home!
Dfryabq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dfryabq » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:53 pm

I will add one other thing, be sure you have enough room for the stove if you install it sideways, and ther is room for a replacement stove in the future if you should so need one. I used an old stove I had and any replacement need sto be a smaller compact 2 burner to fit the drawer. Dave
Dfryabq
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals