The Tin Man and progress nonetheless

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The Tin Man and progress nonetheless

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:16 pm

Here's the platform for my build. This is a 4x8 utility trailer. It's been so long since I've used it, I actually remember it as a 5x8.

Not in a hurry except to have the exterior done before winter.
Still haven't decided on the style. Another reason to not be in a hurry. It will probably be September before I can get started. Have one project ahead of this one.
Last edited by Pwfyrcat1 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hell will still be burning when you get there
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Re: A Build with No Name

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:31 pm

A work in progress...not a trailer... :lol: 144395
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:30 pm

Made my first mistake today. $>

Dropped in to Habitat today just for a lookee for something else which was roofing felt paper. Got distracted by the shiny. I see a 4x8 piece of what I think is luan, go and buy it b/c Habitat is actually busy today. Pay for it, take another look, and it is panel board.

This build has begun to consume my thoughts and I haven't even started construction. wth.

btw there is so much cool stuff to get in trouble with at Habitat.

I have been trying to figure out how to encapsulate the trailer itself into the build. I was leaning toward keeping the box rails intact, but I've come from looking at for the umpteenth time, and am thinking that I am better off without the rails, and it will probably make my build slightly easier, w/o having to worry about skinning around the rails themselves. whew...
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:28 pm

I am working on my trailer sketch in ppt. I have taken my inspiration from GPW's box trailer sketch.

The original trailer is 4x8 wigth rails and a ramp. There is a depth of about 1" - 11/2" from the mesh floor of the trailer to what would be the bottom of the "floor" of the trailer. This floor will possibly be panel/foam. Once I have filled in this depth, I was thinking of extending plywood 6-12 inches beyond the frame, creating a new floor.

I have to be careful how far out to extend this floor b/c I want to be able to tow this with either my truck or car. I have both a Toyota Tundra, 2005(?), and a 2013 Toyota Venza. I'm certain I don't want too much drag from the overhang.

Once I have my new floor installed, I would build foam/cloth ribs for side bench support, possibly pull put bed for the left hand side. This also allows small storage under this area.

The right hand side may have some type of shelf. I am trying to keep balance in mind. The other bed option is to use the fenders as another/spare bed support. But then whoever has to go in the middle of the night better be sleeping in that spot.

A work in progress and open to suggestions

So instead of a straight up foam, it is more of a hybrid. I have it in my head to encapsulate the trailer.

p.s. still working out the roof/walls
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:28 pm

Ordered new tires today. 5.3x12 vs. 4.8x12....
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:36 am

That's a good start! Keep the pictures coming!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:10 pm

Bought some angle iron today. Going to weld in/on an A-frame support on the tongue. Though it's been a while since I've done some welding, might have to do some practice lines. Gives me a chance to use the buzz box I hardly bother with. :oops:
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:42 pm

Ran a couple of practice lines before I got started. It's been a couple of years.

Got out today and welded up one of the tongue supports.

Not prettied up yet and will probably get to it with a grinder :roll:
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:12 pm

One day at a time...

Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:00 pm

Yeah, I got to do a little something. And I really do mean a little something...

Removed the wheels, took them to my mechanic, had new tires put on, returned home, put the wheels back on the trailer. Loctite :D is your friend.
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Finally can work

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:31 pm

Three days of rain is depressing. But wait! I have finally gotten out and started my project in earnest. Built the box insert today and was able to do a dry fit test. Unfortunately I have to go to work tomorrow and I think hurricane Matthew might ruin plans for work in a few days :thumbdown:

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

BTW...one of the pictures shows where I had to do a cutout of the plywood. The original electrics run through a piece of tubing that is welded almost the entire length of the trailer. There was no way I was going to be able to cut it loose. I cut the plywood to fit around it.

Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mr. Lahey » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:41 am

Hope the hurricane stays out of your area.

I'll be following your build with interest. I started with a very similar trailer. I had the same debate about building around the existing rails or cutting them off. I had that same pesky tube for the wiring too. In the end I decided to cut the rails off. I was able to get the wire tube out also.

Looks like you've decided to keep the rails and build around them. Keep us posted with your progress. I'm interested to see where you go with this.
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:33 pm

Made some more progress today if even only an hour. It was after I covered it up for the night that I realized I forgot to take pictures :roll:

Built the "box" portion and secured to the floor. The whole thing is upside down for the night.

Nails and glue and clamps oh my :R

Tomorrow I'll get a hand turning it right side up and adding the extended out areas

cheers!
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:38 am

darn....forgot to save my draft....

Let's try this again.

Getting some work done this morning before the rains move in later.

Sticky to the Thrifty Alternative Theme, I'm trying to use materials that I have on hand. To that end I went ahead and used the resin and hardener I had on hand. Both containers unopened. And I had/have a goodly amount of fg cloth.

I tried out the material on one side of my box insert. Last I checked it was drying hard and fast....Okay not That fast, but solidifying nicely.

If it doesn't work out, then the only thing I have lost this morning is an hour of my time. Once I finish with that, then it will be time to paint and turn it over, do the inside.

Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

My build has a name...The Tin Man

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:00 pm

My build has a name finally. Being that I am originally from Oz aka DorothyLand aka The Sunflower State, Kansas.

The Tin Man.

Anyway, I was able to get some work on the box insert. I added some wood to create more meat to nail into, when I add the plywood side extensions.

glued and screwed... :lol: 145066
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals