Another (almost) 5x8 Benroy

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Another (almost) 5x8 Benroy

Postby Schnitzel » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:04 pm

So I’m a new guy here. I’ve been lurking for a while since my girlfriend and I have decided to build a teardrop and our first step in the process was to Google, “building a teardrop,” and that led us to you folks. These forums have been really helpful so far, so thank you all for that.

We were originally looking at a 4x8 nano weekender-inspired type on a Harbor Freight trailer, but decided to go a bit different route. First off, I have a HF trailer that I haul my 4-wheeler on and while it is a good value in a lot of ways, it didn’t seem quite right for our build. One of the HF trailer’s big benefits is that it doesn’t require welding. But since I’m a welding engineer and have more metal working tools than wood working tools (not to mention more skill in metal than wood…), that really wasn’t a huge advantage and a custom chassis seemed more appropriate, especially since I remember paying about $230 for my HF trailer a number of years back and they seem to have gone up to $400 (minus the 20% coupons that come around every so often, of course). In any case, I figured I could build a trailer for a bit more than the HF kit, but get some nice upgrades like larger tires and maybe even a torsion axle in the process.

But…that’s not what we ended up doing. We found an older homebuilt trailer with a 2x2x1/4” angle frame on Craigslist. It has 31” tires on 15” rims, which was a selling point seeing as how this trailer will be towed on sort of rough Forrest Service roads. Hopefully the larger tires will roll over rocks and such easier than the smaller Harbor Freight tires. It cost significantly less than what I could have built it for and came with a spare tire on a rim. It was advertised as a 4x8, but it’s actually almost 58” wide between the fenders by 8’ long, which will let us easily put a full size bed in it with a bit of play on either side. We also like the design. In some ways, it’s a bit plain and almost crude, but it sort of has that old Popular Mechanics DIY project (you know, the “I built a small tractor with a transmission from a ’47 Ford, an axle from a ’51 Buick, a…” projects) look to it, which appeals to us. So that’s the good news.

There is bad news about it too, but nothing tremendously bad. The first bad news is that it needs some modification and work. The trailer had a rotten floor and sides that needed to be removed, along with a number of mouse nests. The cutting torch took care of the rusted bolts that held the sides on and the floor and mouse nests lifted right out. The side frames were torched off too. There’s also some rusted out sheet metal that needs to be cut off and replaced. I have half of that cut off and will probably cut the other half off tonight. I have some 10ga sheet metal leftover from another project that I’ll replace it with. There’s also a couple sections of the frame that are bent, but I think that I’ll just cut those pieces out and weld in a new piece.

Probably the worst part about this trailer is that the axle is too far forward and moving it would be a pain, especially since the fenders and side shelves are welded along their entire length. Right now the trailer can be balanced on the axle with the spare in its carrier on the back end, so we’re looking at zero tongue weight at the moment. But I did some calculations and I think that this will work fine if we add a tongue box and put the battery in it. We’re planning for a simple galley and the cooler will ride in the tow vehicle rather than the galley (which is our preference with bears anyway), so the tongue weight should come out alright in the end. If it’s too light, we’ll add large lead weights to the bottom of the tongue box to bring up the tongue weight. Of course we’d rather avoid adding nonfunctional weight, but adding 50lbs or so of lead won’t be the end of the world. If it’s required, the lead will be custom cast to fit the bottom of the tongue box and then covered and sealed to avoid contact with the lead. I could move the spare tire up front too, but I like the easy access of where it is now…we’ll see.

We’re now thinking about doing a Benroy-type profile that’s 8’ long. Instead of a normal full size mattress, we’re thinking that full extra-long, which is 54x80”, would be nice, even though neither one of us is particularly tall. Of course this means that the under counter galley storage will be reduced as compared to a normal length full bed, but we’re viewing this as a sleeper first, so the main cabin is the priority. The galley will probably have a sink and stove, plus storage and a bit of counter space. The stove may be on a swing out or pull out to make this happen.

Anyway, on to pictures of the trailer so far.
1.jpg
Here's the starting point.
1.jpg (188.64 KiB) Viewed 1002 times

2.jpg
Sideboards removed. Isn't that a nice floor?
2.jpg (160.95 KiB) Viewed 1002 times

3.jpg
Side frame gone.
3.jpg (210.26 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Schnitzel
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Another (almost) 5x8 Benroy

Postby yrock87 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:53 pm

looks like that trailer appreciates they work you will be putting into it!

look forward to watching your build
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:03 am

Looks like a workable starting point. I am looking forward to following along with your build! :thumbsup:

It might be easier to just extend the tongue, rather than moving the axle back. You don't have a whole lot of room there before you would loose that nice spare tire mounting location. That would also allow you to step up to a 9 foot length, if you like, and would give a bit more valuable room in the galley under the counter; or more room for a bigger tongue box.

I, personally, would reconsider the sink. A lot of builders include them based on the "cute" factor, with full intentions of using them, but then find that they are only really useful for washing hands or brushing ones teeth (at least any of the small ones that don't take up too much room). Many find that the don't actually use them that much and wish that they had left the extra counter space after the fact. Also, plumbing one can take up valuable storage space, especially if your under cabinet space will be short. Consider instead using a water jug and portable tub/dish pan wash basin. The water jug (with spigot cap) could travel low under the counter and be slid to the edge of the bumper for use, or moved up onto an upper shelf over the counter. The tub can be large enough to pull double duty as a wash basin and storage bin for kitchen and/or pantry items.

Think about the larger stuff you might want to bring and where it is all going to go. The more of the regular camping stuff you can keep in the TD and not in the TV, the less stuff you will have to load/unload from each trip. you can plan to keep things simple but even the basics things like folding sack chairs, ez-up canopies (or even a folded tarp), folding tables, maybe a future portable solar panel, etc. all take up relatively large fixed amounts of space and you don't want to have to haul that stuff on the mattress where you have to move it all before you can crawl into bed.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ELM » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:35 pm

Looking forward to watching your build. KC has made a lot of good points to consider. If you wanted to make your tongue longer ;) you could just add a piece of 2"x2" or 2"x3" from the second cross member up through the vee where your hitch is now. It would make a much stronger and stable tongue. Just my 2 cents.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby Schnitzel » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:43 pm

Thanks for the input. I have no new progress to report, since I got sidetracked on an unexpected (and unpleasant) plumbing project on the house. And then I took a backpacking trip over the long weekend. Which leads me to say that your input is particularly helpful since most of my camping has been backpacking and camping near a car is a bit of a foreign concept, so I'm trying to figure out what things should go with and then where to put them. I mean, while backpacking, a chair is the nearest comfortable looking rock or log and the dining canopy (which is only taken if there is rain in the forecast) is a small tarp over trekking poles. So these aren't the first things that leap to my mind as camping gear. Of course the point of the TD is to be more comfortable than sleeping on a thin piece of foam and eating rice and beans, so we certainly want a few items for comfort.

In any case, on the sink, it will either be large enough to be useful to wash dishes in or left out entirely. We've definitely decided that. I have a couple ideas to reduce the space waste, but they will all require some custom fabrication. We shall see.

I wouldn't mind a longer tongue since this thing backs pretty fast. Plus, the coupler probably should be replaced anyway and doing everything one time is certainly more appealing than doing things twice. But unless extra weight is placed over the addition (either with the larger tongue box or 9' body, like you suggested), the already light tongue weight gets even lighter. So the decision to do a longer tongue is also the decision to do a longer body or larger tongue box or maybe both...which means some thinking/head scratching/coin tossing/beer drinking/contemplating/sketching needs to be done before we do anything with that. We also need to decide the electrical draw of whatever it is that we want to have and then figure out how much battery capacity we'll need. With the light tongue, the batteries will likely go up front and if we need lots of capacity, the tongue weight issue might disappear entirely...

Well, enough goofing off, time for me to get back to work. Thanks again!
Schnitzel
Teardrop Inspector

Postby yrock87 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:23 pm

Schnitzel wrote:Thanks for the input. I have no new progress to report, since I got sidetracked on an unexpected (and unpleasant) plumbing project on the house. And then I took a backpacking trip over the long weekend. Which leads me to say that your input is particularly helpful since most of my camping has been backpacking and camping near a car is a bit of a foreign concept, so I'm trying to figure out what things should go with and then where to put them. I mean, while backpacking, a chair is the nearest comfortable looking rock or log and the dining canopy (which is only taken if there is rain in the forecast) is a small tarp over trekking poles. So these aren't the first things that leap to my mind as camping gear. Of course the point of the TD is to be more comfortable than sleeping on a thin piece of foam and eating rice and beans, so we certainly want a few items for comfort.

In any case, on the sink, it will either be large enough to be useful to wash dishes in or left out entirely. We've definitely decided that. I have a couple ideas to reduce the space waste, but they will all require some custom fabrication. We shall see.

I wouldn't mind a longer tongue since this thing backs pretty fast. Plus, the coupler probably should be replaced anyway and doing everything one time is certainly more appealing than doing things twice. But unless extra weight is placed over the addition (either with the larger tongue box or 9' body, like you suggested), the already light tongue weight gets even lighter. So the decision to do a longer tongue is also the decision to do a longer body or larger tongue box or maybe both...which means some thinking/head scratching/coin tossing/beer drinking/contemplating/sketching needs to be done before we do anything with that. We also need to decide the electrical draw of whatever it is that we want to have and then figure out how much battery capacity we'll need. With the light tongue, the batteries will likely go up front and if we need lots of capacity, the tongue weight issue might disappear entirely...

Well, enough goofing off, time for me to get back to work. Thanks again!

if you extend your tongue, you can also push the front of your build forward to add weight forward while symotaniously adding to your footprint. that may or not be what you want, but you can easily have your cabin 1ft or more forward of the front crossmember. not sure what your profile or size of the cabin is planned to be, but by moving the cabin forward while stretching the tongue, you effectively most the wheels back.

my two cents
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Return to Build Journals