First TTT Build- The Mobile Mango

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: First TTT Build- The Mobile Mango

Postby Iain Hall » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:14 pm

That all looks really good MM there is nothing that test our work like camping in it for the first time
Life is not the warm up , its the show
Iain Hall
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MadMango » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:02 am

greygoos wrote:Can you point us in the right direction to a good source for the ABS

The problem I was running into was that the commercial suppliers required minimum orders, like four full sheets 48"x96" with a Purchase Order number, etc. So then I searched other fields that I know that use ABS: drag racers! They use this for front air dams, closing out the front grille openings, etc. I found a place in NC that carries various thicknesses of ABS in full sheets: http://www.racecitysteel.com/plastic I did not contact them for prices, but 3/16" full sheets should be around $140-150.

My issue was that I didn't need a full 48x96 sheet, I only needed two strips that were 10"x48", and I didn't want to store/pay for the extra material. Then I turned to my fail safe source, Amazon. Sure enough, I found a supplier that offered 3/16" in a 24X48 size, perfect for my application, and at $50 was something within my budget.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0163 ... UTF8&psc=1

I would stick with the black ABS, as it is the most UV resistant. I also think the haircell texture looks good and hides scratches very well, smooth ABS can scratch very easily and look horrible just through simple handling. The 3/16" material is pretty stiff, and with the flat, horizontal shape of my fender tops being so close to my doors it provided a nice "shelf" to place dirty shoes when getting in and out the camper.
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby greygoos » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the ABS and thank you for posting your build. I wish you the best of luck. Happy Camping.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby ajshortmac » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:49 pm

This build is awesome! Thanks for posting everything. getting me excited for my build this year!
ajshortmac
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Build Journals