First TTT Build- The Mobile Mango

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: First TTT Build- The Mobile Mango

Postby MadMango » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:56 pm

Got interior sides and edges of both walls sealed with the 50% Mix. Hoping to flip them over tomorrow night and seal the other side. I still have some partial round corners to fill, but this upcoming hurricane Matthew has me a bit worried. I just want to get as much sealed as I can in case the rain starts coming into my work space sideways.

Still deciding on what color the interior will be, but I'll leave that up to my better half.
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby MadMango » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:22 pm

Hurricane Matthew put a dent in my build schedule, but I was able to complete the slanted roof panel of the Mobile Mango in the evenings after work this week. I test fit the star gazer window and fan, fit like a glove. I used 1x3 on the vertical sides of the fan opening to ensure I have ample material for the installation. The plywood was 3/8" with 1x2 framing, PL400 and staples. Then it was 4 coats of 75% Mix, since this is the roof area I went a little overboard. I'll hold off on the foam panels and interior skin till after it is assembled.

That center seam was a mistake, I cut the plywood sheet wrong. Since HD and Lowe's were out of stock of plywood due to the storm, I had to improvise (add extra supports). I'll lay fiberglass tape down the seam, hoping that will prevent water leaks. Lesson learned: measured twice, then measure again, get your bearings, measure again, mark and then cut. I'm hoping the stores have restocked, I plan on getting a lot accomplished this weekend.
Last edited by MadMango on Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby Iain Hall » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:59 am

What finish are you going for on the outside?
Life is not the warm up , its the show
Iain Hall
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MadMango » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:04 am

I want to use wood filler to get a fairly smooth surface, fiberglass tape for the seams, then coat everything in 2-3 layers of epoxy resin (smoothed with 80 grit), and top that off with a latex-based exterior paint.
MadMango

MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:55 am

Glad Matthew didn't slow you down too much. Enjoying your build.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Iain Hall » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:30 pm

MadMango wrote:I want to use wood filler to get a fairly smooth surface, fiberglass tape for the seams, then coat everything in 2-3 layers of epoxy resin (smoothed with 80 grit), and top that off with a latex-based exterior paint.

More power to your arm mate that sounds like a great deal of work!
I was going to do something similar but decided instead to go for a metal skin because I could not face the thought of so much sanding!
Iain Hall
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MadMango » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:47 pm

I got a lot accomplished today, feels good. I managed to get both of my doors mostly done. I still need to seal them and mount the fixed 1/4" smoked plexiglass windows to the interior. These doors will mount to the outside of the body with a piano hinge, with a compression seal between the door and body (mounted on the door). My thinking is this will prevent damage to the seal while entering and exiting, and be more 4-year old proof.

Glad I still remembered how to find the center of an interior radii with my compass. I haven't needed to do that since I last drafted on a drawing board in the mid-80s.

My doors are made from 1/2" plywood, with 1x2 supports. It is stiff, and I think adding the epoxy over them can only increase that stiffness. I know those supports look rough, but they will be on the inside of the trailer when they are closed. I'll try to figure out something to make them more presentable. I also need to figure out my latches since these are exterior to the wall instead of recessed flush like most others.

I filled all the screw heads with putty, and some rough spots on the plywood. First time using that pink-to-natural color changing putty. I'm not sure I like it that much. After 4hrs it is still pliable and powdery.

I used a 1/4" radius on the router to knock off all the sharp edges on the exterior of the doors, and around the window opening. It was a first for me using a router, not sure what I was apprehensive about... or maybe I just never had the need before.

I also managed to get my hatch panels finished. I think I'll wait to assemble them together till after I get my sides up and secure. I still need to seal everything with The Mix, but that will require a run to the store tomorrow. I just don't have the energy this evening. I am also still debating installing the trailer lights on the trailer, or into the rear hatch. I would love to hear some Pros and Cons on this subject.

At this point, I have all the exterior panels for the trailer complete! Two walls, a front wall section, two roof panels, two doors, and the two parts for the hatch. I still need to make the wall between the sleeping area and the kitchen, but that should be fairly simple. Since my angle for the hatch is not flat but 60 degrees, I think the edges of a hurricane hinge will interfere with each other when closed. I don't have the tools to trim those metal edges, so I'm considering ether using a plastic one-piece hinge or a rubber sheet under a piano hinge. I still need to close-out the wheel wells, but think that will be easier once the walls are up. I also have the entire kitchen to tackle... one weekend at a time. :)
MadMango

MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby Iain Hall » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:37 pm

Its a great milestone when you get your main panels made and you will be truly chuffed when you get them assembled then you can truly get a feel for the space that you have enclosed with the structure.
Iain Hall
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MadMango » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:40 pm

rebapuck wrote:Glad Matthew didn't slow you down too much. Enjoying your build.

Judy, I hope you stayed high and dry in NC.
MadMango

MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby MadMango » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:20 am

Yesterday I took everything off the trailer/workbench so I could flip it on it's side to get easier access to the bottom. I had the entire thing coated in Olympic Maximum, sort of a deck stain and sealer, but knew I needed more waterproofing. After visiting several stores and feeling the lack of heft in my wallet I decided to use the Flex Seal liquid rubber. A $30 quart was more than enough to coat the underside of of my 60x98 floor. Sorry no pictures. If you use this stuff, make sure you mix it really well with a mixer bit on your drill. There is a heavy sediment at the bottom of the can. This was applied with a cheap paint brush.

Setback- I used the wrong print when making my doors. I had cut off a corner that I should not have, which left an opening between the door corner and wall. My options are to 1) make a patch for the wall corner since it will be covered with epoxy and painted, or 2) remake the doors. After I found out the door was wrong, I decided it was a good time to test fit my door latch/locks. After fighting this for 30 mins with wood chisels, I've decided to go with Option 2: remake the doors. Instead of 1/2 plywood, I'll use 3/8, and recess the door so it is flat with the exterior wall. I'll then frame the interior to provide a lip for the door seal. This means my door opening will shirk a total of 2-inches all around, but don't think it will be that noticeable.
MadMango

MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby MadMango » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:40 pm

Long weekend, got some stuff accomplished, but not everything I wanted.

First i had to remake my doors. My old doors sat on the outside of my side walls, these new doors sit flush. My wife questioned the need for the fixed window in the door, so I've left them out for now.

Then I had to create an interior ledge for the bulb seal. This required me to frame the whole perimeter, leaving a 1-inch surface for the seal.

Fitting the door latches was a PITA. Really starting to second guess if maybe I bought the wrong style? I had to build up around the interior of the latch, not sure how I am going to make that look better yet.

At least the latches look good from the outside. I still need to cut a hole in the wall frame to accept the striker and bolt. I'm out of energy for today, but will try to tackle that after work this week.

Now for next weekend I can take the 12" tires off, clean-out all the HF clear goop in the wheel bearings and replace with real bearing grease and put on the 15" tires. Then I can move the trailer to the driveway and start putting all the pieces together to make a camper!
:twisted:
MadMango

MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby Iain Hall » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:15 pm

You should stand firm with your wife on the need for windows in the doors but I expect she may well be convinced once you have the camper so that she can get a feel for the interior space.
Iain Hall
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MadMango » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:09 am

It surprised me, as she is a little claustrophobic and was sure she would insist on windows. Her quote was, "We'll only be in there to sleep, the less windows the better." I'll keep that Ace up my sleeve and plan to add the windows.
MadMango

MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:01 am

You don't have to add the windows now. Just trim out the interior side for "framing" & extra rigidity, then make a template for cutting them out later on, just in case you need to make a "change" later on.....
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:24 am

Add the windows now; you will want the ventilation and ability to look out before opening the door (critters, bumps in the night, etc.). Just sell her on the idea that she will get to pick out the curtain rod style, blackout shades and curtains and she will be sold.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals