Round nose hybrid build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Round nose hybrid build

Postby OP827 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:57 pm

That is a one clever idea, I like it. I am thinking of taking it one step further and make the wall with skins and all internal reinforcement wood and insulation, and then cut the door out, maybe?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Chris H. » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:22 pm

Flatworm wrote:Our current teardrop (little guy knock off) is great - but with limitations. Ever since someone decided to film the "Lord of the rings" in New Zealand, we have been inundated with tourists looking for hobbits or whatever. Anyway, to avoid our country becoming a giant toilet, there are now some tight rules about where you can camp if not self-contained. To get certified as self-contained, we need a
- toilet that is useable when the bed is set up
- 24 litres of clean and grey water
- hose
- rubbish bin

Once we have these, camping areas are a lot cheaper and more plentiful.

Hi Flatworm, I'm going to be moving to NZ this year and I want to do a build. I was just wondering how much the camping spot options reduce if I don't go self-contained? Also, I have come across some mention of headroom and elbow room requirements for the toilet if going for self-contained certification but no details on what is actually required with respect to that for the toilet. Does it have to be separate as well or can it just be anywhere in the camper like under a seat?
Chris H.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Flatworm » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi 827. I did think about routing out later but decided that routing the frame, filling with insulation , lining then re routing the lining was safer. At least I could rebuild if it didn't work.

Chris. There are plenty of places to camp without a self containment sticker in towns. In more isolated places there are DOC (government) campgrounds. There are a lot of gaps though.

I checked out the headroom requirements and the certifier is ok with 1.2m. I allowed a but more.
Flatworm
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chris H. » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks Flatworm, I haven't been camping in NZ for some time so wasn't sure how the changes impacted camping site options. I might look at building for self-contained certification as it will allow more options and I was looking at a 1.2m high body anyway. Just looks like my plan might need to be a little longer as I see the toilet must be accessible inside the camper when the bed is fully deployed.
Chris H.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Flatworm » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:32 pm

The round nose design was the only option I liked for a toilet - hard to fit it otherwise. You can have all my templates etc if you want them.
Flatworm
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mhphillips111 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:41 am

Flatworm wrote:Our current teardrop (little guy knock off) is great - but with limitations. Ever since someone decided to film the "Lord of the rings" in New Zealand, we have been inundated with tourists looking for hobbits or whatever. Anyway, to avoid our country becoming a giant toilet, there are now some tight rules about where you can camp if not self contained. To get certified as self contained, we need a
- toilet that is useable when the bed is set up
- 24 litres of clean and grey water
- hose
- rubbish bin

Once we have these, camping areas are a lot cheaper and more plentiful.

Apart from a place to sleep, crap and cook, the main use of the caravan is as a base from where we can fly fish.

To accommodate a toilet with headroom, going to a round nose seems logical. I have some rough plans and some rough skills and thought I'd make a start.

We have also set ourselves the challenge of financing the build through selling or using whatever we have laying around.

I am the kind of person who makes things up as they go along, making plenty of mistakes in the process. I have had a good look around the forum and have a reasonable idea of how to go about building. Reasonable, not great.
Hi
Hmmm. So I'm both tight fisted and ham fisted.

I also have the small problem of work. I make 60% out my annual income between mid September and mid November so time will be limited for the next few months.

However, we have made a start.

I'll try and attach a couple of rough sketches of the concept and pics of progress so far.

Absolutely love this. I was looking for a design similar to this and could not find one. I am like you I design as I go. But this is exactly what I want mine to look like. With some exceptions. I think I will do a pull out kitchen instead of having it in the back. I also want to do a screen in the back to prevent insects from coming in and to allow the rear door to be left open for airflow.

What hydrolock shock thingy did you use to allow the door to remain open you are the only one I have found with similar ideas as mine. Now I will say that I learned from you.

If you have any plans or assistance I would love to hear from you. Thanks in Advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mhphillips111
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Flatworm » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks for your comments. I'm happy to help where I can.

I am making this up as I go along so haven't sorted a lot of details like door restraints.

Been working on it more lately. Will try to put up pics today.
Flatworm
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chris H. » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:39 pm

Flatworm wrote:The round nose design was the only option I liked for a toilet - hard to fit it otherwise. You can have all my templates etc if you want them.

Thanks for the generous offer Flatworm, once I figure out which direction I'll go in I may take you up on it. :D
Chris H.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Johnysteam » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:44 am

Looks good, hows progress ?
Johnysteam
Silver Donating Member

Postby Flatworm » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:20 pm

Making steady progress.
Working on this between fishing trips.
Last edited by Flatworm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flatworm
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Flatworm » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Flatworm
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Flatworm » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:25 am

Flatworm
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:14 am

Whether just doing a test fit up or getting the walls standing up for good; major milestone! :applause:

Keep knocking them down and you will be done in no time! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Flatworm » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks KC.
Flatworm
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Flatworm » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:00 pm

Getting roof sorted. Plan on folding the rear roof around and down and permanently securing it to the walls. I'll skin and then cut out the rear hatch around the wall side in the same way as I did the doors - with a router and template. Hopefully this will save me making a separate hatch and make certain that it fits. Should be strong.

I've beefed the framing where my cuts are going.

Any idea if this will work?? Fingers crossed. I'm pretty committed now anyway.

I have located 2 and 4mm Okoume but am struggling to find marine grade 3mm (1/8"). Weight of skin would be around 35kg for 2mm or 70kg with 4mm. Inclined towards 4mm but looking for feedback on 2mm. Will cover in PMF or Glass. Probably PMF unless I can find someone to glass at a good rate.
Flatworm
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals