Off Road Grumman 2ish (5x5x10) Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Off Road Grumman 2ish (5x5x10) Build

Postby DWT77 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:34 pm

soapcreek wrote:That is looking great! Thanks for the motivation to get back to work on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck ya!!
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby clamlamp » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:57 pm

Man that looks awesome! Any ideas on weight yet?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby DWT77 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:13 pm

clamlamp wrote:Man that looks awesome! Any ideas on weight yet?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Don't know the weight yet. Hopefully soon though
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:09 am

I was able to get the trailer done enough to camp last weekend. I still need to do all of the electrical for the interior of the teardrop but my trailer lights were working. It rained all weekend and I didn't take any photos while I camped. Here are a couple just before I took off. It has been a nice weekend and I should be working on the electrical/gas springs for the hatch but I am being lazy lol

DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:01 pm

I have taken a break from the teardrop but about to get started back on it shortly.

I had drawn up my electrical somewhat on paper and in Microsoft paint. Finally took the time to finish/make it look better.

I figured if something breaks in several years or so having a diagram will be easier to repair because I will definitely forget how it all goes lol

The only thing I am not really sure about is how the inverter and PD 40405 connect to the shunt for the battery monitor. I believe I have it drawn out correctly but not 100% sure

I think this way would monitor the watts/amperage draw when not connected to shore power from the inverter 110 and DC side of the PD4045
Attachments
Teardrop Wiring.png
Teardrop Wiring.png (263.38 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
Last edited by DWT77 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:02 pm

Post it this way in case the other way is too big

DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:58 pm

Just position the shunt at the bank being monitored, so **all** current flows through it.

You're not really connecting any devices to it, they are on the circuit, think of the shunt as a bottleneck.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DWT77 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:31 pm

I have completed most of the wiring on the teardrop. Mainly just connecting up led lights and the fuses left.

Here is what the final wiring diagram looks like. The last big thing I need to do is attach my gas springs.

The main changes are
Moved the 50 amp fuse to the other side of the battery cutoff switch
Moved all of the return negatives to the shunt
Added the rest of the circuit breakers in the PD4045. (I had bought double breakers before I started the wiring turns out I didn't need them so they are free now)
Put the Tongue box 110v on a separate circuit (That is the circuit I will eventually plug the climate right AC up to so I wanted a dedicated circuit)
Added the LED controller in the interior overhead light circuit

Attachments
Teardrop Wiring 2.png
Teardrop Wiring 2.png (287.81 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:34 pm

Been working on finishing up the wiring. I still need to install the vent fan on top of the trailer but I am going to wait until I am ready to start storing it in my buddies garage. It won't fit in mine with the fan on top.

All that is left is cleaning up the wires and connecting it to the battery. My gas springs will be here tomorrow for the galley hatch.

Once all of that is done I still have a few small things that I will work on over the summer in between camping trips. Actually taking the teardrop to this event this weekend. https://www.brewhabushwhack.com/

Installed LED lights in the galley and interior

DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:46 pm

Few pics from my trip to the Ozarks. Adding the storage underneath and full size wheels/tires make it where a regular ez up canopy won't cover the hatch. I will have to figure something out eventually.

My stargazer type window (I got off ebay) leaks from the seal around the window. I will have to fix that as well

DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Hey you're out there camping.. :applause: :thumbsup:
as for the EZ up, not being high enough, did you figure it out yet? Looking at the pics you posted, the middle pic shows the hatch up above your head quite a bit.
Can you lower the hatch enough to get it under the ez up?
Looking good Wayne, excellent job and you're out there doing it..
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: way to go.. David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby DWT77 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 pm

Staryder61 wrote:Hey you're out there camping.. :applause: :thumbsup:
as for the EZ up, not being high enough, did you figure it out yet? Looking at the pics you posted, the middle pic shows the hatch up above your head quite a bit.
Can you lower the hatch enough to get it under the ez up?
Looking good Wayne, excellent job and you're out there doing it..
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: way to go.. David

Thanks David!

Moving the hatch lower is a thought I had. Which it is definitely high. I have to extend my arm all the way up to reach the hatch to close it.

If you look at the last picture in that post you can see the gas spring mount on the sidewall. I can move the mount down closer to the counter top. I would just have to make sure to top mount still clears the top cabinet when I close the hatch. If not I would have to adjust where it mounts on the upper part of the hatch as well.

Some other ideas I have or a combination of these and lowering the hatch.

I will eventually get a roof rack. I thought about putting Rhino Rack on the rear like this.

Possibly getting some sail track and marine cloth. Then fabricate my own
https://www.sailrite.com/Flex-A-Rail-Black-90-Long
https://www.sailrite.com/Sewable-Keder- ... k-90-Black
https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Outdoo ... ade-Fabric

If for some reason I need to bend the rails they are flexible.

Essentially making something like this
https://familytentcamping.com/products/ ... er-shelter
https://familytentcamping.com/products/ ... ith-awning

With all of that said I haven't made up my mind which route I want to take just yet. I will camp in it a few more times and make my decision. I had some issues with the gas springs that got me pretty frustrated. So I am not in a hurry to move those but it might be the best option.

At any rate it is nice to be out there camping with it!!!
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:22 pm

I was working on my electrical system before my last trip. I didn't quite get it completed because my 30 amp main breaker on my PD 4045 would trip anytime I turned on the breaker to the automatic transfer switch.

My 12v system was working and it was just a 3 day trip so I figured I wouldn't need any 110v anyways.

This last weekend I decided to take a look at it.

I was pretty sure the problem was in the ATS but wanted to troubleshoot it out all the way anyways.
Battery switch on, 12v works, turn inverter on and I have 110v to all of my outlets.
Turn inverter off, hook up shore power, turn on 30 amp breaker (all other breakers off). let it sit a while and it doesn't trip
Turn on CB2 that supplies power to the converter in the PD 4045. Let it sit a while and nothing trips.
Turn on CB3 that sends power to the ATS and it trips. Ok definitely a problem with how the ATS is wired up.

In the previous wiring diagram from a few posts ago you can see a ground wire going from the PD 4045 to the ATS. I decided to remove that ground and it quit tripping the breaker.
But now my relay won't change over. I get the volt meter out and Ohm out the Normally Open and Normally Closed contacts. Everything checked good and looks connected correctly.
Within the ATS I have the inverter connected to the Generator side and the Shore power connected to the Shore side.
I am kind of scratching my head because everything looks correct. Well let me look in the manual maybe I missed something.

Here is the description in the manual
Description of Operation
 When the shore power is applied the relay is at rest and power is transferred to the panel.
 When Generator power is applied there is a 20-45 second delay and then the relay activates transferring Generator power to the panel.
 If shore power returns while the Gen power is present nothing will happen. When the Gen power is removed the relay will drop out and allow the shore side to supply power.
 Generator overrides shore power.

Ohhhhh I need to swap my two connections since the generator overrides the shore power. Plus I want the inverter to run through the de-energized contacts of the ATS, that way I am not powering the changeover relay all the time while on battery power.
So I move the inverter to shore power and CB3 to the generator side. Boom now when I connect shore power it energizes my relay.
I can turn on my inverter and I have 110v, connect shore power, the relay energizes swapping over to CB3, I disconnect the shore power and the relay goes back to the inverter. (I wouldn't leave the inverter on while on shore power but the relay works as advertised)

I updated my wiring diagram to reflect the changes

Attachments
Teardrop Wiring 2.png
Teardrop Wiring 2.png (305.47 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Finally installed my Maxxair Fan and Roof Rack/Load bars

DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:14 pm

I added a ARB fridge/freezer and also got a solar panel. It didn't charge my battery however. I will have to troubleshoot the solar panel, wire, and controller. Hopefully it's just wires.

Built a PVC stand for the panel

DWT77
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals