Off Road Grumman 2ish (5x5x10) Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby soapcreek » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:38 pm

Thanks soapcreek! I just took a look at your build and it looks like it is coming along nicely. I like how you did your tail lights. I don't think I have seen that look before.[/quote]

Thanks. I pulled inspiration from your build on the under storage. The tail lights just evolved after I decided to go 6’ wide. I think they fit the shape.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soapcreek
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 38
Images: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:03 pm

I have been going back in your build for some ideas, and got a question. What is you outside cabin width and what is your overall outside tire width? Also what is your clearance between tire and cabin? I working that part out now on my build. Now sure I'm happy with the numbers I'm coming up with.

Thanks

Todd
User avatar
KTM_Guy
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 243
Images: 117
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:50 am
Location: Mesa, AZ near Usery

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby DWT77 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:00 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:I have been going back in your build for some ideas, and got a question. What is you outside cabin width and what is your overall outside tire width? Also what is your clearance between tire and cabin? I working that part out now on my build. Now sure I'm happy with the numbers I'm coming up with.

Thanks

Todd


Cabin from outside to outside is 61.125" wide with 1.5" thick walls


Tires outside to outside is 88"

Clearance between fender and cabin is 1"

If you need anything else just let me know
User avatar
DWT77
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 257
Images: 360
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:52 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Top

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:19 pm

Thanks, helps a lot.

Todd
User avatar
KTM_Guy
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 243
Images: 117
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:50 am
Location: Mesa, AZ near Usery
Top

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby DWT77 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:37 pm

I have been working on the galley cabinets. Slowly but surely getting there

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
DWT77
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 257
Images: 360
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:52 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Top

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby DWT77 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:28 pm

I went back and forth on whether to go with the straight or curved piece for the stove placement.

In order to get the stove to sit above the frame line I have to put a 3/4 inch piece of plywood underneath it. This makes the knobs clear the frame without a problem.

I thought a curved piece might look good for the framing so the stove can sit on top of the cabinet without the knobs hitting the frame.

Putting the stove on top of the cabinet was an after thought. If I went with the curved piece I would still have to notch out a 1/4 on the back side of the frame so the stove would sit into the cabinet frame. The stove is too wide to sit up there without notching it out.

So I decided to go with the straight piece. All of the images are just a dry fitting. I will secure everything down once I put the Formica on the counter top

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
DWT77
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 257
Images: 360
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:52 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Top

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Wayne, how do you plan on securing the stove on top of the cabinet?
David

"A Great Mind is like a Parachute, it works best when it is open.."

"Our build Journal.." http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69528

staryder61@gmail.com
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 376
Images: 291
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:11 pm
Location: Big Ole Texas
Top

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby DWT77 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:29 pm

Staryder61 wrote:Wayne, how do you plan on securing the stove on top of the cabinet?



I think some luggage straps might work. Since the stove will be sitting on 3/4 inch boards I can take an eyelet (or screw/washer) and attach the straps to the 3/4 inch pieces from left to right (So the strap goes over the stove length ways).

Then hopefully it should be as easy as placing the stove on top, grabbing the straps, click the buckle together and pull tight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AT ... 6DZGR9303C
User avatar
DWT77
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 257
Images: 360
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:52 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Top

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:43 pm

DWT77 wrote:
Staryder61 wrote:Wayne, how do you plan on securing the stove on top of the cabinet?



I think some luggage straps might work. Since the stove will be sitting on 3/4 inch boards I can take an eyelet (or screw/washer) and attach the straps to the 3/4 inch pieces from left to right (So the strap goes over the stove length ways).

Then hopefully it should be as easy as placing the stove on top, grabbing the straps, click the buckle together and pull tight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AT ... 6DZGR9303C


Those should do the trick Wayne, similar to those are what I was planning on using for ours, inside the stove drawer..
David

"A Great Mind is like a Parachute, it works best when it is open.."

"Our build Journal.." http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69528

staryder61@gmail.com
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 376
Images: 291
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:11 pm
Location: Big Ole Texas
Top

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby DWT77 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Staryder61 wrote:
DWT77 wrote:
Staryder61 wrote:Wayne, how do you plan on securing the stove on top of the cabinet?



I think some luggage straps might work. Since the stove will be sitting on 3/4 inch boards I can take an eyelet (or screw/washer) and attach the straps to the 3/4 inch pieces from left to right (So the strap goes over the stove length ways).

Then hopefully it should be as easy as placing the stove on top, grabbing the straps, click the buckle together and pull tight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AT ... 6DZGR9303C


Those should do the trick Wayne, similar to those are what I was planning on using for ours, inside the stove drawer..


David, I had thought about putting the stove on a slide/pull out above the cooler but didn't have room. The luggage straps is what I had planned on using there so I just figured I would transpose that over to up top.

I plan on using the straps for the cooler as well. DIY something like this

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Fridge-Free ... P3627.aspx
User avatar
DWT77
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 257
Images: 360
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:52 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Top

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:02 am

Wayne, the Grumman is turning out really nice..
The straps are a great idea. With different boats we've used bungee cords in the past, changing over to tension straps for better holding. So knew they would work for the camper..
With so much going into so little space in these campers. We've elected not to put the cooler in the galley (120 qt will be in back of TV, Suburban) giving us more room for other storage in the galley. Eventually, I will construct a pull out bed for the back of the Suburban, giving easy access to anything in the back of it..
David

"A Great Mind is like a Parachute, it works best when it is open.."

"Our build Journal.." http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69528

staryder61@gmail.com
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 376
Images: 291
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:11 pm
Location: Big Ole Texas
Top

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby DWT77 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Got the formica in and started putting in the cabinets permanently. Got in a hurry and forgot to sand them before I put them in. Will have to do it my hand and then stain them.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
DWT77
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 257
Images: 360
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:52 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Top

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:20 am

Cabinets are turning out great, with good storage layout.. I also like the electrical panel being in the cabinet frame work, well thought out.. :thumbsup:
Waiting to see what type doors and drawer fronts you'll do..
David

"A Great Mind is like a Parachute, it works best when it is open.."

"Our build Journal.." http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69528

staryder61@gmail.com
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 376
Images: 291
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:11 pm
Location: Big Ole Texas
Top

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby DWT77 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Staryder61 wrote:Cabinets are turning out great, with good storage layout.. I also like the electrical panel being in the cabinet frame work, well thought out.. :thumbsup:
Waiting to see what type doors and drawer fronts you'll do..


Thanks David. I am going with the same ones I put on the interior. Which I got from Lakeside Moulding. I thought about making my own but without a router table I don't know how good they would come out.

Image
User avatar
DWT77
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 257
Images: 360
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:52 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Top

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby DWT77 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Got the rest of the galley cabinets framed in and stained. Added a big drawer in the middle. Also added formica to the pull out slide. Still need to clear coat everything.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
DWT77
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 257
Images: 360
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:52 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: breb and 4 guests