my truck camper

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: my truck camper

Postby OP827 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:18 pm

Thanks for details Philip I am going with polyester filler over epoxy fiberglass. Used 40 grit on some places with a long board, but mostly 60, 80 and 180 to prepare for 2k urethane sandable high build primer/surfacer. Doing such massive body work and spray painting for the first time. Will spray primer, sand, then spray automotive color base coat an finally clear coat.. will see how that works.. I am going with mostly white color, as the foam would melt and delaminate under sun if I go with darker colors .. Cheers!
Philip wrote:
OP827 wrote:Congrats on completing the build, it looks great. I am still working on mine. Did you put bondo on epoxy sealed plywood and then painted, what kind of painting system?

I used epoxy fairing compound for the filler for body work. I used Total boat brand. Here is a link.

http://www.totalboat.com/product/totalfair/

I did all body work before the finish coat of epoxy and glass. This could go over a coat of epoxy and glass. This compound you need aggressive sanders for. I don't think a electric model sander would work it down very fast. A lot of my starting grits were 40 on a air file. That is a straight line body sander. That is a aggressive sander with that rough grit. On that long side passenger side wall. It took about 30 minutes to work it down before D/A work started. Unlike bondo which you can skin down when soft with a cheeze grater file. This compound you have to let dry before any work.

For primer I used total boat high build primer. It is not a epoxy primer. Just a high solid primer. I did two coats of primer with a D/A smoothing between coats.

http://www.totalboat.com/product/topside-primer/

For paint I used Total boat topside paint.

http://www.totalboat.com/product-category/paint/page/2/

This paint flows very well. You need to be picky with rollers. Lint from a roller showed very easy on my dark paint. Another thing I noticed was the paint hazed after 4 months in the sun and 7,000 miles. After a good washing the haze was still there. A coat of wax removed the haze. I had not waxed before hitting the road. With out wax the paint looked like a 10 year old unwaxed boat.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Philip » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:49 pm

I am not sure if you can use poly filler. I was told poly and epoxy do not go with each other.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:37 pm

Philip wrote:I am not sure if you can use poly filler. I was told poly and epoxy do not go with each other.

Who told you that? They should go together if epoxy is washed and then rough sanded with 60 grit. I find it feathers pretty good between filler and epoxy fibreglass and I know that Atomic(Astroliner build) did use 3M polyester filler over his epoxy fibreglass surfaces. The potential issue is if there is any amine blush left on epoxy, then any filler, even epoxy one might separate from a previously cured epoxy. Have to always wash and scrub epoxy after curing and before next coating or finishing. I guess I will find out in a couple years if my fairing stays there. If not then I already know how to use a DA sander ;).
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Philip » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:12 am

My brother in law worked 42 years in the fiberglass industry. He told me to not mix the two types of resin. You can use epoxy over poly. Poly over epoxy has issues with the poly not binding properly. Then later on it seperates.

Now I have not tried it my self so take it for what its worth. The problems he might have seen was due to the company made resins and not commerical brands on the market.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:17 am

Philip wrote:My brother in law worked 42 years in the fiberglass industry. He told me to not mix the two types of resin. You can use epoxy over poly. Poly over epoxy has issues with the poly not binding properly. Then later on it seperates.

Now I have not tried it my self so take it for what its worth. The problems he might have seen was due to the company made resins and not commerical brands on the market.

Here is my experience. Back in September 2015 I covered and faired my epoxy fiberglass roof with 3M polyester body filler. The roof was stored outside for Alberta winter cold under tarp, snow. It is now affixed to the camper for over two years with seasonal temps changes and occasional washing and rain when put outside for a day every time I worked on the project. The filler looks the same the day it was faired 3 years ago with no signs of any defects or separation. I also found an article on West system epoxy website that gel coat which is polyester based can be put over epoxy fibreglass. :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Philip » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:47 am

Yesterday the truck and camper was picked up by its new owner. I hated to see it go after having the truck for over two decades. It was time for it to find a new home where it could be used like it was made to.

I do have a new build I'll be starting real soon. I am moving into a short WB sprinter van. This step wasn't for the slightly larger space it was more due to the better fuel milage the sprinter will give me. The truck with the extra air drag from the camper was only getting 14 MPG. The freightshaker on its first tank clocked in at 23.5 MPG. With my planed build only adding around 1300 pounds give or take a little. It shouldn't kill milage much if at all.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:44 pm

Philip, good to hear from you. Are you planning on documenting your new build? I would like to subscribe. All the best to you.
I am still working on my build.
Oleg
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Philip » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:37 am

I plan on starting a build thread in this section. Right now with temps in the low to high 90's. I am just waiting for temps to drop some. I also have a fab shop building the bed frame work. It should be done this week.

I have been following your updates. I am on the site every day looking at new posts.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Fri May 08, 2020 9:54 am

Had to bump this up for a friend. He couldn't find it.

:lol:
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals