my truck camper

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: my truck camper

Postby noseoil » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:18 am

"That pic has been on the wall for a couple of decades now." Something to be said about tried & true! Please don't replace it with a more current one of her, if you find one....
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Philip » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:46 pm

noseoil wrote:"That pic has been on the wall for a couple of decades now." Something to be said about tried & true! Please don't replace it with a more current one of her, if you find one....

I know what you mean. An updated pic would be for internet use. I probably wouldn't want it on the wall. :lol:

My son got that poster and another one at a local street fair. Well you know how mothers are. "Your not putting "that" on "my" wall in your bedroom." So I told him to put it on the garage wall. :lol:
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:58 pm

Time for a update.

The rear wall sections with the extra angle thrown in have been giving me fits. The right side rear wall pictured below is wall #3. The first two I missed the angle to far to be able to use them. So I just cut them up and pitched them. You know how it is practice till you get it right. :lol:

This pic shows the inner wall in position after I got it trimmed to fit. I had about 1/4" bow in the frame work in the center. Don't know how that happened. That is the side I was doing the glass work for practice. The driver side is flat. I tried the panel on that side and it fit good. So I'll just deal with the bow and not worry about it.

The outer wall will have other walls attached to it. I think I'll just build all the walls at one time in place instead of trying to make panels.
Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:58 pm

Here is where I knocked off today. Most of the framing is done on that inner panel. I have one more section of frame to do on the end wall. Then cut out the door opening.

Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:28 pm

Today I cut the door opening out and finished the frame work that was left from yesterday. I finished installed the wall. I'll do the outer skin at a later date. I need some 1/2" insulation to finish it.

In this pic I was checking the fit of the door in the opening.

Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Well its time for another update. I have been down for a few days on the build. I needed to build another power supply of the hotwire cutter. The other one I built would not handle cuts much over 10 inches wide. The bigger transformer came in yesterday. I threw it together did some cutting. This transformer will do 21 amps if needed. I did a skin cut on some foam that was 22 inches wide. It was a 35" long piece. I went threw that panel in about 1 minute. The other power supply would have taken 10 minutes. :lol:

today I almost finished off the right side storage bay. I need to make a cutter frame up to cut that inner panel foam. Then install the inner panel. I have it cut to size already.

This is a view inside the storage bay. This bay will have a Engel MT35 fridge/freezer in it on a slide out.

Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Yesterday I finished off that inner wall on the storage box.

today I threw the out side panel on the wall. I'll route out the door and flush trim the bottom tomorrow.

Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:38 pm

noseoil wrote:"That pic has been on the wall for a couple of decades now." Something to be said about tried & true! Please don't replace it with a more current one of her, if you find one....

I think I had that pic at one time or another. Is that Barbi Benton?
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:40 pm

Looks like your build is coming along great! I can sure appreciate your woodworking. :applause:
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Philip » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:22 am

Atomic77 wrote:Looks like your build is coming along great! I can sure appreciate your woodworking. :applause:

Camera's are nice to builders. It doesn't show mistakes unless it is a massive one. :lol:
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:16 pm

Yesterday I started out by routing out that door and flush trimming the bottom of the ply.

Then I started on the left rear corner wall. I got the shape and angles figured out. Then started doing the inner frame work. This first pic is the setup to get the angle marked out.

At that point I had to stop and make a lumber run. I was out of 1x2x3/4 lumber to frame the door opening. So off to the big box store.

This morning I went after that wall. I framed the door opening in. Then cut the insulation for it.

Then I installed the inner ply and routed out the door openings.

That's not a finish install on the wall. I'll do that tomorrow. I'll need to get it square front to back. The glue it down. I need to make another run to a different box store tomorrow for more material. I hope the rain/snow holds off.
Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Yesterday I made the other material runs and started on the left side wall. Today I finished installed the left side rear wall. Then I finished the left side outer wall. I'll install the outer ply when I have the storage box completed.

Tomorrow I'll start on that storage box.
Last edited by Philip on Sun May 06, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Looking good and starts to take shape. :thumbsup: Have you decided how the lifting top will look like?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Philip » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:02 pm

OP827 wrote:Have you decided how the lifting top will look like?

I haven't been thinking to much about that yet. When I get the bottom section enclosed. Then I'll know how much room I have to play with. I'll start thinking about the top while I am doing glass work and finishing the bottom for paint.

I still haven't decided on hard panels or just cheat and dig out the sewing machine and make canvas panels.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:23 am

Philip wrote:I still haven't decided on hard panels or just cheat and dig out the sewing machine and make canvas panels.

Maybe there is a logical reason to do both? Start with the easier soft sided version but leave your options open so that you can adapt hard sides later when you decide you want them. Just a thought.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals