Project Garden Shed

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Project Garden Shed

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Since my trailer is red and my window frame is white, I got a can of red spraypaint, masked the glass with painters tape and a grocery bag, and changed the color.

The tricks to spray painting are:
1) warm temperature. Make sure the can and the area are 60F or more
2) not too humid. I prefer it below 80%
3) keep the can moving! If you hover over a spot too long, you will get runs.
4) spray lightly. If you do not get perfect coverage on one light pass (and you won't) make another light pass at another angle.

Even coverage without runs is the goal.
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:01 pm

I carefully measured everything and drew the cut lines directly on my door!

To cut the hole in the door for the window, I used my circular saw to plunge in and get close to the corners. Then I cut to the corners with a jig saw. This ensured relatively neat straight lines and corners.

Then I applied butyl putty tape to the outside window frame and clamped it into the hole using a board clamped to the door. Since I added the 1/4" wood strips to the clamp ring to fit my thicker door, I had to drill through the wood using the existing mounting holes as a guide. I then screwed the interior clamp ring to the exterior window frame with sheet metal screws.

I was going to paint the screw heads red too, but changed my mind. The stainless steel sets off the red.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (108.08 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
Last edited by ThinkLibertarian on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:07 pm

Here is the clamp ring side.

The screw heads peeking around the edges of the clamp ring are reinforcements for the door itself. They are 1 1/2" screws that go through the 1/4" plywood interior, 1" of insulation, and into the 1/2" plywood exterior, without piercing the exterior skin.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (168.01 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:10 pm

Finally back to it!

I added weatherstripping to the doors so the camper is weathertight (hopefully).

I used adhesive backed rubber foam tape on the hinge side of each door. Just cut to length, peel and stick!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E ... /202262324

The two side doors have a threshold like an ordinary door, do I added sweeps to the bottom of each door. The fins compress against the threshold to seal it.

http://a.co/h2C6cEJ

For the rest I used standard door vinyl clad weatherstripping. Because my doors are not as thick as an ordinary front door, I had to improvise a bit. Normally one end of this is stuffed into a grove cut in the stop. Instead I had to cut a narrow strip of wood as a stop and nail it directly to the door jamb, pinching the weatherstripping in between the stop and the door jamb.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building ... /100157089
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:46 pm

Sorry for the late update. Before Xmas i insulated the camper using 2" thick Foamular insulation.

It was a matter of cutting rectangles with a sharp knife and using Liquid Nails for Foamboard to glue it to the walls and ceiling.

To get the pieces on the roof to stay, i used various scrap pieces, as you can see here:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:50 pm

The only complicated part was the curve in the front. For this I made a cardboard template of the shape, then cut out many pieces of foamboard, then glued them up one at a time.

The key to this operation was the knife. No ordinary clicky-knife, this was much heavier duty and the knob was a lock so it would not slip. It even came with 5 extra blades. Not bad for a bargain bin find.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (28.88 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:53 pm

To get the last few curved pieces to fit, I had to cut them in half. The cut itself is parallel to the bottom of the curve, which is important so the bottom piece slips in.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:58 pm

And here is the final result. I also used spray foam to fill in the (many) gaps.

Combined with my mediocre weatherstripping job, I had a few minor leaks during its first rainstorm. Some Silicone in strategic locations fixed that.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (97.86 KiB) Viewed 1521 times
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:01 pm

With the camper insulated and weatherstripped, I have been sleeping in it for a week now.

I have a full size mattress in it, which I slide out to change the linens, propping it on my table.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (45.75 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Build Journals