New Build: Working title Glasshopper? Update: 4-2-17

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

New Build: Working title Glasshopper? Update: 4-2-17

Postby Lagadelphia » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:27 pm

I've recently gotten back into camping and I've been camping out of the back of my Honda Odyssey. I got one of those tents that slips over the back end and you raise the tail gate to act as the roof support. This worked well until you get a good wind, then it doesn't work so well. :) After fighting with that for a few trips and then the pain of breaking it all down if you wanted to drive somewhere to see the sights, I got it in my head that a camper would be a better way. So I peruse the local Craigslist and RV ads. Now I haven't ever priced a camper out, but some folks must be pretty proud of there 20 year old Jayco popup.

Now I had heard of teardrop trailers in passing, but again, I never looked into them. So Google brought me here. After perusing this site, the build journals, and pricing out what it would take to build something like this, I discovered I could make something the way I wanted it and for much less than the well used Jayco with its unknown issues.

After pouring over all the build journals, the many great designs, the many outstanding builds and the clever ideas you all have shared, one design really caught my eye and said "That's it. I want to build one like that." It was rmclarkes Sunhopper http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22856 . I really dig the angles and lines and of course the overall build is great. Rmclarke generously shared his dimensions with me so the exterior profile will be the same. I also came across the thread about Izzomac's commercial Grasshopper that he restored http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19698 https://www.flickr.com/photos/izzomac/sets/72157602566390390/page1 which I also loved. So I've decided to combine rmclarkes profile with the original Grasshopper.

I am going to go with the single door and window on the passenger side, large window on the drivers side, and a large front window from the original design. I am omitting the galley in favor of more internal storage as well as space for a slide out AC unit. It will have two externally accessible storage areas in the rear to hold the outside stuff ie awning, poles etc... Plywood skeleton wall construction, 5mm, 3/4in with insulation, 5mm. Marine paint exterior. Haven't decided if I am going to paint the interior or stain it. I was going to paint but the interior skin ply I got has a really interesting grain to it that I think would look nice stained. I will decide that later when the time comes. Still deciding if I am going to go with cubbies for storage or doors on the cabinets. I am leaning towards doors at this point for the back and cubbies upfront. I am going with 110v/12v with a computer power supply powering the 12v initially with provisions for battery in the future. (Budgetary reasons).

So without further ado, the picture. Yes picture singular :P

Yesterday I assembled the Ironton 5 x 8 trailer with the help of my son. Today I got the sub floor cut, glued and screwed, and the floor skin cut and ready to be installed. I have to add two more cross support pieces then cut and lay in the blue board insulation.
Last edited by Lagadelphia on Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:10 am, edited 9 times in total.
Lagadelphia
Teardrop Builder

Re: New Build: Working title Glasshopper?

Postby lrrowe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:08 pm

Good luck with your project. I fancy your style up to Shadow Catcher's. I still have work to do with my CT and I am in no way disillusioned with it. But I see the benefit for me to have both trailers, my CT and something a lot smaller. The smalller one would fit quite nicely for those days when we need quick travel items for overnight stays. So I think in about 2 years, I will think about starting one.

Also I am not worrying about having the expense of two trailers because given my wife's and my stage in life, we do not have that many years left in front of us. And while we have the ability now to "sorely" (means with many aches and pains) get around we should do the things we want. Such a smaller trailer would make longer trips, say to the Western States, easier and more cost effective.

Oh, and I rationize this expenditure by planning on the trailers going to my boys after we are gone. I say I am doing the building for them.

So, I will follow yours and others like this with much interest.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Welcome to the forums!

I am also looking forward to following along with you on your build. This stuff is fun! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Lagadelphia » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:14 pm

New update. Finished framing in the subfloor and put in insulation. Flipped it over and glued the spacer strips to make it sit flush on the trailer.

Also started routing the lap joints on the plywood to make it 5x 9.5 or so.

Tomorrow I should be drilling the holes for the bolts to attach the floor to the trailer, sanding down the insulation to make it flush with the floor framing, and sealing the bottom of the floor.
Last edited by Lagadelphia on Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lagadelphia
Teardrop Builder

Re: New Build: Working title Glasshopper? 10-3-16

Postby Lagadelphia » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:48 pm

Busy day today. I had to glue a second thickness of spacer to fill the gap on the cross beams. The second thickness made it fit perfectly. I drilled the holes for attaching it to the frame and sealed the bottom with Flexseal. It took almost the whole quart.

While that is drying, I attached my stabilizer jacks. The front ones did not have the clearance to stow properly due to interference with the tongue members so I had to mount them running front to back. The rear ones mounted properly. When I finished, I touched up some scrape marks on the frame and fenders which had come scratched up from shipping. This picture was taken before the final assembly of the jacks.

Hopefully tomorrow Ill be able to attach the floor to the trailer.
Last edited by Lagadelphia on Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lagadelphia
Teardrop Builder

Re: New Build: Working title Glasshopper? 10-3-16

Postby Lagadelphia » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:46 pm

A lot of work, glue, and saw dust since the last update.

I've attached the floor to the trailer, tried my hand at lap joints to make plywood pieces big enough (This took the most time. Finally got decent with the very last joint.

I cut my sides today :P All the steps that led to this moment paid off. It is really exciting when you've got the shape in front of you that was only on paper before.

And since this is October, skeletons!

Passenger side:

Drivers side:

I also started cutting the skins for the inside. Still have to rout out a dado for the back wall to nestle into on the interior sides of the walls then I can skin them and get ready to put them up.
Last edited by Lagadelphia on Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lagadelphia
Teardrop Builder

Re: New Build: Working title Glasshopper? 10-14-16

Postby pchast » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:59 pm

:thumbsup: :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bam1028 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:14 pm

You have very Tidy Cats! Your build looks great and I will enjoy seeing the progress. THanks
bam1028
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dogscats » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:19 pm

Nice . Looking forward to the great build
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby Lagadelphia » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:22 pm

bam1028 wrote:You have very Tidy Cats! Your build looks great and I will enjoy seeing the progress. THanks

Ha! Yes. Those are filled with sand. The rectangle ones are very sturdy buckets. I hang on to those. With the lids, they have tons of uses.
Lagadelphia
Teardrop Builder

Postby Lagadelphia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Did more work on the walls, cut more insulation, and spars today. Had to put them up temporarily so I could see it.

Last edited by Lagadelphia on Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lagadelphia
Teardrop Builder

Re: New Build: Working title Glasshopper? 10-22-16

Postby KCStudly » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:43 pm

Looks good. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:29 am

Making great progress & a nice clean look you have going. Don't forget the wire runs & any extra blocking "hard points" before buttoning up the exterior walls!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lagadelphia » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:30 pm

Had a little set back. The passenger side wall will have to be remade. I knew it had a little warp to it but I was hoping I'd be able to straighten it out when I put it up. The bottom straightened out just fine but the top was too much of a mess. There were other small issues with that wall, nothing serious so over all, redoing it isn't all bad. Upside is, I figured out how to do the joints better and faster and I'll be able to correct the issues.
Lagadelphia
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:03 am

Why can't you save it? Most things can be made to work fine with just a bit more effort, rather than wasting all of the material and time.

Throw a strong back on the wall until the spars are in, or just push and pull to get the spars in and they will true things up(?).
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals