Attic build - Twin Bed Micro Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby atticdrop » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:29 am

Good day everyone. I've been poking around the forum a bit over the last 6 months, and it's time to start sharing my experience.

I am in the middle (or beginning) of a very small teardrop build.

A little about me: 32 year old with lots of camping and building experience. Mechanically, I am pretty competent. I plan on using this for my short runs up north for grouse hunting and for hauling camping gear. The hardest part of going up there is packing all the little things and getting on the road. My work schedule often doesn't allow me to plan ahead on these short 1-2 day trips. In the past, i have just folded the seats down in my car and slept in there.

I got some inspiration after my dad got a 40x48 Northern tool utility trailer. I thought to myself, this is almost the same width as a twin bed... and that's how this all began.

My plan is to build on that Northern Tool 40x48 trailer, but extend the side rails to 6 foot as well as extend the tongue.

Here's the catch for this whole project: I'm building this in my attic. My workshop is huge (3rd floor attic of a farmhouse), but the stairwell up makes a sharp bend and is very narrow. So I need to make this thing so it can be disassembled and reassembled on the ground. So far, it has been working out well.

Photos of progress to follow.
Last edited by atticdrop on Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
atticdrop
Teardrop Builder

Re: Attic build - Twin Bed Micro Teardrop

Postby atticdrop » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:33 am

The first cuts were made a few weeks ago, I am using 5/8 AC plywood for the interior walls.Image
Last edited by atticdrop on Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
atticdrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby atticdrop » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:38 am

Skinned the interior with 1/8 Baltic birch. I laid the 5/8 inner wall on the floor and used titebond to glue the birch plywood on. The first one went well. I stacked half the junk in my attic on top of them as a "clamp".

The second side went terrible. A large bottle of power steering fluid tipped over (I had stacked on top) and ruined a good section of the Baltic birch. I routed that section out and glued in a patch. I decided to cover those seams with a "book rack" built into the wall.
Last edited by atticdrop on Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
atticdrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby atticdrop » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:42 am

Routing this out for the ceiling and spars was a chore. I used the opposite wall as a template. If I were to do this again, I would make a real template.
atticdrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby atticdrop » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:44 am

Here's the interior wall with some polystyrene inserted. I traced the holes before skinning onto the foam, then cut them out on the bandsaw. They fit great. You can see a little bit of my interior cabinet and galley plan.
atticdrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby atticdrop » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:48 am

Here's my floor. It is about 40 inches wide and 7 feet long. I found out that this is the biggest piece of plywood I can fit up the stairs. It's 1/2" 4x8 Baltic Birch I found at Alpine Plywood in Milwaukee. It seems to be excellent - 9ply exterior glued, unlike the big box stores.
atticdrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby atticdrop » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:52 am

Front bulkhead/cabinet/headboard

This doesn't take up much space from the mattress footprint. The extension out one side and up is because of that power steering mishap I had earlier. It actually might turn out nice there.

Sliding 1/8 Baltic doors enclose this little cabinet.

You can also see the ceiling temporarily installed.
atticdrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby atticdrop » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:59 am

My cabinet frames are made of cherry. I am finishing the interior cabinet frames with wipe-on polyurethane. I hate finishing.

The big plywood sections I have been using a water based polyurethane from Varathane. The water based stuff is hard to get right. After the first coat you MUST sand the grain rise flat. The following coats don't seem to lay flat. I wet sanded one wall after 5 coats of the stuff and got fantastic results. It's like glass. I'm going to do that with all the interior flat plywood panels.
atticdrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby MadMango » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:19 pm

I thought I had it bad building outside under a tiki hut. I hope you get all your pieces out of the attic without dings. So if the dog goes camping with you, where do you sleep? :lol:
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby Pete Mc » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:40 pm

Dog? I thought that was a pet lion.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Pete Mc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby atticdrop » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:51 pm

Pete Mc wrote:Dog? I thought that was a pet lion.

That's Luca. He's a ten year old Great Dane.Image
atticdrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby Pete Mc » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:46 pm

Thats quite old for a Great Dane. Beautiful dog.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Pete Mc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby atticdrop » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:46 am

Got a little done before work this morning. Wet sanding between coats of poly. I had been using a sponge for water, but this spray bottle is much better.Image
atticdrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby atticdrop » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:36 pm

Here you can see how I am attaching the sides to the floor. The 2x4 frame is a placeholder for my trailer chassis. Biscuits hold the sides in alignment with 2 1/4 inch screws from the bottom. These are really helpful in making sure it fits together in the attic, but with final (permanent) assembly later.

Over the outside wall another layer of 1/4 ply will be added.ImageImage
atticdrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby atticdrop » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:39 am

Ceiling is temporarily on. This will help me in figuring out my rear cabinets.Image

atticdrop
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Build Journals