Chesapeake Light Craft Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Chesapeake Light Craft Teardrop Trailer

Postby friz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:20 pm

Rick Tyler wrote:
friz wrote:I want to show you the incredible precision of this kit. If you can see light between any of the parts, you have got something wrong. Go back and tighten up your wires and pull the skins tight to the mold and they will go away.

With S&G assembly, you actually do not want super-tight mechanical connections between adjacent parts. The fillet and glass will provide the structural strength, so having tight fits won't help you any, and can cause "hard spots" where the core material (plywood) meets. I try to leave a little gap (about a Popsicle stick thickness) between panels, and I sometimes use "craft sticks" from Michael's to maintain the spacing.

Of course, if CLC told you to strap them down tight, you should do what they say. The conventional wisdom, though, is that touching is too tight.

I am looking forward to following your build, although I would prefer 5x10. I think it is the teardrop equivalent to a boat owner's "2-foot" disease. As in, "my boat would be perfect if it were 2 feet longer."

Thanks for all the pictures, too.

I'm only familiar with way Chesapeake Light Craft does things and haven't noticed anything mentioning leaving a gap. The parts are not cut with a bevel, so just the corners are touching. Maybe that's the difference. Also adding 2 ft. to this construction would make it much harder to manipulate in a workspace with 8ft ceilings. I'm guessing that this was one of Mr. Harris's criteria. When I rotate the mold on end, the top is less then 2 inches from my ceiling.
My original plan was to build a home built that was just slightly larger. I would have had some additional storage and galley space, but I probably would have sacrificed a season of camping, along with a whole bunch of head scratching to get it done. It would have surely come in heavier then planned, meaning my Ford Focus would not have been a proper tow vehicle forcing me into a different car, etc., etc.. I come from tent camping where less is more so I think this camper will be a good fit for me.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby rowerwet » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:00 am

johnny_swindle wrote:
friz wrote:This is right off their website.

"How much does the CLC Teardrop Camper weigh?

About 250 pounds fully outfitted and accessorized. The basic shell and galley weighed 176lbs on our digital scale. Trailer weight will vary wildly; our aluminum Trailex trailer weighs 196lbs. Figure on a total of 500-600lbs all-up with typical outfitting."

Thank you....must have overlooked it.

500-600 is too heavy for the bike but if I keep it around 400 to 450 that would be great.

Sent from my SM-G935V

I know they aren't for everyone, but at your target weight, you should look into a foamie teardrop.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:49 pm

Sides going onImageImage

Sent from my Altair 8800 using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby rychastings » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:49 pm

any chance you could scan pictures of the technical documents/instruction manual for us? I would like to build one but the kit costs are a bit high
rychastings
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rowerwet » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:13 pm

rychastings wrote:any chance you could scan pictures of the technical documents/instruction manual for us? I would like to build one but the kit costs are a bit high

As someone who has bought boat plans before, and who offers free boat plans on line, I would expect John Harris to have a real problem with people sharing his plans for free. Considering that those expensive plans are really just part of a kit, and he makes his living and runs a business by selling kits and plans, this could almost be considered stealing his design and labor.
Of course I really don't think the paperwork you get with a kit would be much more than step by step instructions, I highly doubt the CAD files that are used to program the expensive CNC machine Chessapeak Light Craft owns are included in the kit, and I'm also sure you won't find dimensions for very many peices of the kit in the instructions.
One thing I do see with this kit is that it is fairly complex because of the multi angled sides and roof, trying to copy this without a CNC to create the precise shapes would be really tough.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:21 pm

rychastings wrote:any chance you could scan pictures of the technical documents/instruction manual for us? I would like to build one but the kit costs are a bit high

not ethical...

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby friz » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:26 pm

His plans with the full size templates are not that expensive. Honestly the manual I have is no good without the kit.

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby TimC » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:14 pm

Deleted
Last edited by TimC on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:59 am

I can't see that it would hurt, but the manual does not call for it

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby swoody126 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:15 pm

friz wrote:I can't see that it would hurt, but the manual does not call for it

it is NEVER wrong to protect everything frum POX ;)

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby pohukai » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:38 pm

The stitch-n-glue construction is a proven technique for boat building and can be easily extended to teardrop. I'm considering this technique and plan to do a google sketch-up design using a more traditional shape. CLC has an attractive design but the complexity in the curves almost requires the CNC machined parts and the elaborate strong back framing necessary for its construction. All which add to the overall cost of the kit.

My existing teardrop uses 3/4" plywood on a 2x4 frame for a 5'x10' floor. At slightly over 1000lbs (including the trailer), it is still over designed.
pohukai
Teardrop Master

Postby TimC » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:23 pm

Deleted
Last edited by TimC on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:41 pm

Plastic packing tape on all the exposed edges of the strongback and forms is what I was
told when working on a canoe with epoxy.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:59 pm

From personal experience, packing tape works great as a release for epoxy. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby friz » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:13 pm

I have yet to have any joints glued to the jig. In most places that this could occur, the parts are pulled tight against an edge, so a little work with a hobby knife would free the parts. Thanks for the concern though. I think part of Mr Harris's strategy is to use the non conformities of the parts to the builders advantage. He doesn't bevel any edges to fit snugly against the other. All edges of all parts are left 90 regardless of the angles that the parts intersect. It goes against the way my OCD brain works, but everything seems to be working out fine when I follow his instructions. Also the majority of the 30,000 people he has sold kits to, seem to be happy with their finished products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals