Off-road Teardrop Design/Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Off-road Teardrop Design/Build

Postby kokomoto » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:23 pm

dirtsailor2003 wrote:Nice build! Looking forward to seeing it all ready to go.

Thanks! I'm hoping to have it ready to roll by Independence Day. The galley will get finishing touches after we use it a few times.
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby ryan112ryan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Curious you've mentioned you deviated from the shop manual some and in the end it was more difficult, what specifically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ryan112ryan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kokomoto » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:15 pm

ryan112ryan wrote:Curious you've mentioned you deviated from the shop manual some and in the end it was more difficult, what specifically?

On the wall I didn't make the skeleton large enough to extend all the way out to the edge of the wall pattern in some places. I'm not sure what I was thinking at the time, but if I had though far enough ahead, I would have realized why this is a bad idea. :thinking: It left some flat spots on the 1x4s where the skeleton was too small instead of a nice curve matching the outline of the teardrop pattern. If left alone, the 1 5/8" cut around the roof that is later used as blocking between the roof spars would not be flush with the outer roof plywood in some places. I patched it up by cutting some narrow strips of 1x4 and gluing them in place. I then had to go back and trim them down to the proper curve with the pattern router bit. It was a lot of extra work that could have been easily avoided. I hope you can picture what I'm trying to describe. Not sure if I have a picture that illustrates it.

In another stroke of genius, got the order of cutting the top of the galley roof down 2" out of order requiring pattern routing the inner panel instead of an easy, single cut operation.

Now that I've been through the process, I have a clearer understanding of how it all goes together.

The biggest time sponge I have is building DIY doors. I'm still glad that I did at this point, but it is very time consuming. I used a pattern for them, but the wall cut-outs didn't turn out to be identical for some reason. I would use a more fool-proof method if I could do that over again to ensure they are identical.

I also didn't realize in my first glue ups of the walls how critical it is to get a bunch of weight all the way around the edge of the plywood being glued together. The are some small, narrow gaps that I had to fill and fix. PL Premium is kind of thick, and apparently needs a lot of pressure to squish it down. Spreading it with a trowel first seems to help, but a lot of pressure is still required.

Over all, I'm very pleased with the TD as it is. I would, however, consider using 3/4" plywood for the skeleton and floor if I were to build it again. I would also use 2x2 tubing for the frame instead of 2x3 as a weight saving measure. Not sure if I would buy the factory built doors though.

Hope this is helpful. :beer:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby ryan112ryan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:09 am

kokomoto wrote:
ryan112ryan wrote:Curious you've mentioned you deviated from the shop manual some and in the end it was more difficult, what specifically?

On the wall I didn't make the skeleton large enough to extend all the way out to the edge of the wall pattern in some places. I'm not sure what I was thinking at the time, but if I had though far enough ahead, I would have realized why this is a bad idea. :thinking: It left some flat spots on the 1x4s where the skeleton was too small instead of a nice curve matching the outline of the teardrop pattern. If left alone, the 1 5/8" cut around the roof that is later used as blocking between the roof spars would not be flush with the outer roof plywood in some places. I patched it up by cutting some narrow strips of 1x4 and gluing them in place. I then had to go back and trim them down to the proper curve with the pattern router bit. It was a lot of extra work that could have been easily avoided. I hope you can picture what I'm trying to describe. Not sure if I have a picture that illustrates it.

In another stroke of genius, got the order of cutting the top of the galley roof down 2" out of order requiring pattern routing the inner panel instead of an easy, single cut operation.

Now that I've been through the process, I have a clearer understanding of how it all goes together.

The biggest time sponge I have is building DIY doors. I'm still glad that I did at this point, but it is very time consuming. I used a pattern for them, but the wall cut-outs didn't turn out to be identical for some reason. I would use a more fool-proof method if I could do that over again to ensure they are identical.

I also didn't realize in my first glue ups of the walls how critical it is to get a bunch of weight all the way around the edge of the plywood being glued together. The are some small, narrow gaps that I had to fill and fix. PL Premium is kind of thick, and apparently needs a lot of pressure to squish it down. Spreading it with a trowel first seems to help, but a lot of pressure is still required.

Over all, I'm very pleased with the TD as it is. I would, however, consider using 3/4" plywood for the skeleton and floor if I were to build it again. I would also use 2x2 tubing for the frame instead of 2x3 as a weight saving measure. Not sure if I would buy the factory built doors though.

Hope this is helpful. :beer:

Very helpful! I'm considering buying doors because of how tricky and time consuming they can be. I'm dreading the galley hatch. So many variables

ryan112ryan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:45 am

That's really coming together. A nice solid teardrop.

Tony

p.s.
I'm dreading the galley hatch.
Ryan: I have a sense you are going to use Fredrick's Shop Manual? His hatch building method is straightforward. Just draw out your gusset and counters on your template–to ensure you have room for both.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Louisd75 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:23 pm

kokomoto wrote:Now that I've been through the process, I have a clearer understanding of how it all goes together.

I think this statement is exactly why so many get sucked into building a second trailer :D I've been keeping a notebook of things that I would do differently if (when) I build another trailer
Louisd75
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:26 pm

tony.latham wrote:That's really coming together. A nice solid teardrop.

Tony

p.s.
I'm dreading the galley hatch.
Ryan: I have a sense you are going to use Fredrick's Shop Manual? His hatch building method is straightforward. Just draw out your gusset and counters on your template–to ensure you have room for both.

Thanks Tony!

Tonight I clamped the hatch sides with gussets onto the back of the TD. The starboard side pretty much fell right into place with the 1/8" spacers. Woo Hoo! The port side was a different story. It seems there is a slight warp or twist in it. About 1/8". :frightened: Had to enlist the help of Mrs. Kokomoto to hold the shims in place while I twisted myself into pretzels trying to clamp it in place. I'd think I had it right, then discover the 1/4" gap (to allow for the aluminum molding) was off on one end or the other. I felt like one of those guys that spin China plates in the tops of poles. :? It turns out that my troublesome hatch side not only has a warp, but also a slightly inconsistent gap. Also about 1/8" larger. I finally averaged out all the errors, called it good, and proceeded to mark the lengths of each spar since they will probably not be identical. I only hope that once they are all fastened in place that they will hold the sides exactly where they need to be, and stay there. I plan to use 2 kreg screws in the end of each spar with TB3. That should cancel out the warp. :thinking: with fingers crossed.

The dry fit of the cabin-to-galley window went well, and I got the tail lights bolted on to the fenders.
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:30 pm

image.jpeg
Hatch side
image.jpeg (137.05 KiB) Viewed 2089 times

image.jpeg
Hatch side glued
image.jpeg (242.6 KiB) Viewed 2089 times

image.jpeg
Starboard hatch side clamped in place
image.jpeg (137.47 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:35 pm

image.jpeg
Hatch side 1
image.jpeg (149.37 KiB) Viewed 2088 times

image.jpeg
Hatch side 3
image.jpeg (154.9 KiB) Viewed 2088 times

image.jpeg
Hatch side 2
image.jpeg (169.38 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:38 pm

image.jpeg
Window open
image.jpeg (109.94 KiB) Viewed 2086 times

image.jpeg
Window closed
image.jpeg (117.11 KiB) Viewed 2086 times

image.jpeg
Tail light
image.jpeg (159.57 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:00 pm

ryan112ryan wrote:
Very helpful! I'm considering buying doors because of how tricky and time consuming they can be. I'm dreading the galley hatch. So many variables

If you have some really cool design or purpose for your door, go for it. It's not rocket surgery, just time consuming.

I have been dreading the hatch as well. Since Day 1. Steve's hatch design is solid. Any problems I have with it will be of my own making. I'll try to post as much of the process as I can so that folks can learn from my experience.

Tony is absolutely right. Follow the manual as best as you can, and I'm sure your hatch will turn out just fine. :thumbsup:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:34 pm

should cancel out the warp. :thinking: with fingers crossed.

If we didn't stress over these builds, it wouldn't be fun. :shock:

I think you're hatch is coming along great too. :thumbsup:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:03 am

kokomoto wrote:I finally averaged out all the errors...

I like this phrase. Might make a good name for someone's TD.

Average Out The Errors = AOTA
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:07 am

KCStudly wrote:
kokomoto wrote:I finally averaged out all the errors...

I like this phrase. Might make a good name for someone's TD.

Average Out The Errors = AOTA
That's a good one, just like KC's TLAR-That Looks About Right. I'll add my unofficial mottoes, which apply to my working ethic, and directly affect my projects, whether on vehicles, home repairs, and my TTT build, of course: 1)WIT (Whatever It Takes)- I'll do whatever it takes to make something work, and 2)GOOT (Going Off On Tangents)-how I begin with a logical plan, then it takes off into a new direction. And, of course, my under-the-breath catch phrase: DIATH (Darn It All To Hell)-whenever I'm in between GOOT and WIT stages.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kokomoto » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Installed outer skin on hatch. I used Popsicle sticks to keep the spacing between the gussets and galley wall, and glued the plywood in place.

image.jpeg
Hatch outer
image.jpeg (121.42 KiB) Viewed 1930 times

image.jpeg
Hatch inside
image.jpeg (134.82 KiB) Viewed 1930 times

image.jpeg
Improvised strap anchor
image.jpeg (104.06 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext