Off-road Teardrop Design/Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Off-road Teardrop Design/Build

Postby kokomoto » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:11 am

tony.latham wrote:Your hatch looks superb. Six-bits says it's dust free.

Tony

Thanks Tony. :beer:

I still have to stick some weatherstrip in the hatch groove, but, yeah, I don't see how anything can get in through there. I just hope it's spider proof. :frightened:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:19 am

tony.latham wrote:Your hatch looks superb. Six-bits says it's dust free.

Tony

I've read a ton of posts concerning the lift struts for the hatch. There's a ton of info. I'm looking at 27" extended, 11" closed, 150# struts mounted 8" down from the hinge on the wall end and about half way up the hatch. You're hatch should be about the same weight, size, etc. can you offer any advice or guidance on the matter?
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:39 am

27 extended / 11 closed is not possible, me thinkst. The part that sticks out can not be longer than the part that it retracts into, at least not for a single stage oil filled strut.

Maybe a typo?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby kokomoto » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:27 am

KCStudly wrote:27 extended / 11 closed is not possible, me thinkst. The part that sticks out can not be longer than the part that it retracts into, at least not for a single stage oil filled strut.

Maybe a typo?

You're absolutely right. I meant to type that as stroke instead of closed. Good catch.
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Dirtclod » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:26 am

Man that looks great. I can only hope that my hatch comes out that nicely. :worship:

Fine Job Sir :applause: :applause: :applause:
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Dirtclod wrote:Man that looks great. I can only hope that my hatch comes out that nicely. :worship:

Fine Job Sir :applause: :applause: :applause:

Thanks! :D

I dreaded that thing for months. Sir Fredrick is a genius!
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:55 pm

Over the past couple of days....Cleaned up the trailer/battery wiring, and wired the hatch light fixture. Installed the mattress and furnishings. Wired the main battery disconnect and primary fuse in the tongue box.

image.jpeg
Galley 1
image.jpeg (112.94 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

image.jpeg
Galley 2
image.jpeg (112.94 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

image.jpeg
Cabin aft
image.jpeg (107.99 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:57 pm

image.jpeg
Cabin side view
image.jpeg (94.35 KiB) Viewed 2391 times

image.jpeg
Cabin forward
image.jpeg (111.94 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:11 pm

That is gorgeous, nice work!

Assuming your way of holding the galley hatch is temporary but I may borrow your idea there to hold mine. I have a receiver on mine as well, been trying to decide how I was going to hold it up till i can afford struts for it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Dirtclod » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:49 am

Sounds like its "campable" now. :applause: So when's the first official outing?
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Tigris99 wrote:That is gorgeous, nice work!

Assuming your way of holding the galley hatch is temporary but I may borrow your idea there to hold mine. I have a receiver on mine as well, been trying to decide how I was going to hold it up till i can afford struts for it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thank you! :)

I am calling that the Wonder Prop. It is temporary, and I can't wait to see them on TDs all around the world. 8)

I don't hoard much, but I found my Wonder Prop gathering dust in the corner of the garage. The only modification I had to make was to cut a v groove in the top end. It could also be used a a beer bong, a remote drain for gray water from a sink, or a periscope if you add two small mirrors to it. ;)

BTW, the gas springs aren't terribly expensive. Sorting through the plethora of information concerning their sizing, fitting, and installation can be extremely costly in therms of your time. I still haven't pulled the trigger on buying a pair. Although McMaster Carr have a wide selection that is easily searchable on their website with complete, detailed specs. I've attempted to cross reference the specs to automotive applications, and haven't had much luck. I figured that way, a failed unit would be easier to replace on the road by stopping at an auto parts store and asking for a spring for a particular vehicle. Perhaps I should put that on a separate post.... :thinking:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:15 pm

Dirtclod wrote:Sounds like its "campable" now. :applause: So when's the first official outing?

I'm tying up loose ends, and have to finish the tongue box. But it's definitely "Near Campable". I haven't decided on a first official outing yet, but somewhere in the mountains with shade and a higher elevation. It's been a little warm here lately. Also considering something not too far in the boonies until we get the packing list finely tuned.
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Near campable.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (137.63 KiB) Viewed 2250 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (124.4 KiB) Viewed 2250 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (127.78 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Dirtclod » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:48 pm

Looks GREAT. :applause:

I know I read it somewhere that Tony recommended those draw latches to you but cant for the life of me find it. Can you tell me where you got them from?

Also the Tennessee Volun - Tears chapter is having their fall gathering at Harrison Bay right up the street from you Sept 7-10. We have a site reserved and I "hope' to be finished by then. If not we will bring the big camper. You should come up.

http://www.tearjerkers.net/new_forum
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:35 am

Dirtclod wrote:Looks GREAT. :applause:

I know I read it somewhere that Tony recommended those draw latches to you but cant for the life of me find it. Can you tell me where you got them from?

Also the Tennessee Volun - Tears chapter is having their fall gathering at Harrison Bay right up the street from you Sept 7-10. We have a site reserved and I "hope' to be finished by then. If not we will bring the big camper. You should come up.

http://www.tearjerkers.net/new_forum

Thanks!

The latches are at McMaster-Carr. https://www.mcmaster.com/#draw-latches/=18uodss

If that link doesn't work, search on their website under draw latches for adjustable padlockable, or something like that. I'm really pleased with them. I should have ordered a 3rd one for the tongue box lid.

Unfortunately, we already have plans for the weekend of the TD gathering at Harrison Bay. We might make it up there for a while on Friday, but have to leave Saturday morning. I look forward to seeing your new TD! :D
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals