Off-road Teardrop Design/Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Off-road Teardrop Design/Build

Postby 2manytoyz » Sun May 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Very nice attention to detail and construction techniques :thumbsup:
2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Postby kokomoto » Sun May 07, 2017 7:09 pm

2manytoyz wrote:Very nice attention to detail and construction techniques :thumbsup:

Thanks! If I only had a dollar for every hour I spent scouring the posts on this forum for ideas, techniques, and advice from fellow builders I could probably have funded most of my project.

There are more than a few flubs on this thing. For example:

I got in a hurry and didn't have a router guide properly clamped, and got the router way off track on the bottom of one wall. I'll cover that with aluminum.
I didn't realize just how much pressure is require to get a tight joint on the wall plywood when I glued it to the skeleton with PL premium. It left a few gaps here and there that I need to fill.
When framing the floor skeleton, I didn't get on of the cross members in the proper location to bolt it to the frame. The result being two bolts in the rear just go through two 1/4" sheets of plywood and 3/4' of EPS foam. Not very sturdy, but there are 10 other bolts.

There are other goof ups too numerous to mention, but this TD will be a much better camper than my old pop up. I would just encourage anyone to start building, and work through problems as they pop up. That and try to plan several steps ahead.

I have to give credit to Steve Fredrick for publishing his teardrop manual. I have relied on it quite a bit, and would probably have a piece of junk without the guidance I have taken from his excellent manual. Well worth the $60 or so for anyone building a wood teardrop. :applause:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Dirtclod » Mon May 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Looks Nice.

I have to agree on the Steve Fredericks book. Use it for reference all the time.
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Wed May 10, 2017 8:51 pm

Installed the second sheet of plywood on the roof after finishing the wiring for the cabin light and fan. Also started on the tongue box this week. It'll hold the group 27 battery, charge controller, battery disconnect, portable solar panel, and Weber Smokey Joe with a bag of charcoal. Can't imagine camping without it, and couldn't find any other place to store it. No pics yet.

I almost made a critical error by forgetting to mark the wiring location before installing the plywood. :frightened: Checked for a short between the wires with an ohm meter after realizing my mistake. Thankfully none of the staples hit the wires where they pass thru the spars. :)

In other news, the hurricane hitch, tail lights, fuse block, and disconnect have arrived. Ordered the battery, and awaiting delivery. Group 27 may be a bit too large, but better to have and not need than to need and not have. Only a bit more expensive and a little bit larger and heavier.

image.jpeg
Fan
image.jpeg (99.66 KiB) Viewed 2405 times

image.jpeg
Roof 2
image.jpeg (64.13 KiB) Viewed 2401 times

Sorry about the dark pics. It was late when I finished.

image.jpeg
Roof 1
image.jpeg (67.57 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Wed May 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Dirtclod wrote:Looks Nice.

I have to agree on the Steve Fredericks book. Use it for reference all the time.

Thank you. I'd have saved a few hours here and there if I had followed it more closely sometimes. :NC
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 11, 2017 6:14 am

Nice work. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Dirtclod » Thu May 11, 2017 8:23 am

Man you are moving right along. I am a bit behind you on mine.

We are just outside Nashville. We will have to meet up and camp when finished. In fact the TN chapter of the TearJerkers is having its fall gathering at Harrison Bay this fall.

Looks GREAT so far :thumbsup:
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Thu May 11, 2017 9:07 am

Dirtclod wrote:Man you are moving right along. I am a bit behind you on mine.

We are just outside Nashville. We will have to meet up and camp when finished. In fact the TN chapter of the TearJerkers is having its fall gathering at Harrison Bay this fall.

Looks GREAT so far :thumbsup:

Sounds like a plan! I'm in Chatt.

I'll PM you my contact info.
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Thu May 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Installed the final sheet of plywood on the roof along with the hatch spar tonight. :D

image.jpeg
Roof 1
image.jpeg (98.78 KiB) Viewed 2349 times

image.jpeg
Roof 2
image.jpeg (95.63 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat May 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Looking great! :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby kokomoto » Sat May 13, 2017 6:03 pm

tony.latham wrote:Looking great! :thumbsup:

Tony

Thanks Tony!

Didn't get much done on the TD today. Put the first coat of RAKA on the roof then attended a funeral for a friend of ours. He flew 25 missions in the cockpit of a B-17 over Europe. A great guy with a gift for storytelling. There's not many of his breed left. He learned to fly in the days of biplanes, and finished his aviation career in jets as a Captain for Eastern Airlines.

Hope you have a great weekend Tony. :beer:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Mon May 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Finished the ceiling, and have 3 coats of RAKA epoxy on it. Also put a couple coats of tung oil on the interior bulkheads.

Tonight I tried to get a new pattern cut for the doors. I made a huge mistake by not following Steve's manual closely. When I cut the door openings in the walls. I didn't cut it carefully so as to have a nice pattern to use on the doors. They are both slightly different as a result. Soooooo, now I have to painstakingly mark and cut a tight fitting pattern for each door. :NC lesson learned. Read the dog gone manual, and follow it.

The hurricane hinge arrived. It looks like Iike it needs a 1/4" gap between the spar and the top edge of the hatch. I cut mine my walls with a 3/8" gap. A minor setback, but one that needs to be addressed. I just need to fix it without messing up the hatch fit at the seal. It's probably going to need a modification to the hatch outer sides.

Ordered the hinges for the doors. A stainless strap affair that took some serious internet searching to find. The style I wanted was too long, and would get in the way of the windows that I am installing in the doors. I finally found a shorter version of the same style at Austin hardware.

Maybe I should have ordered manufactured doors. :o
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 16, 2017 6:52 am

Can you just laminate a 1/8 thick shim to the face of the hatch hinge spar and avoid changing gasket profile of the hatch?
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby kokomoto » Tue May 16, 2017 8:26 am

KCStudly wrote:Can you just laminate a 1/8 thick shim to the face of the hatch hinge spar and avoid changing gasket profile of the hatch?

A brilliant idea! :thinking: That sounds like it just might work. I'll look into it. Thanks a million.

Just wondering....the hatch spar is already epoxied with RAKA. I presume sanding the spar a bit and using something like PL Premium will work for getting a good bond between the shim and spar.
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 16, 2017 11:45 am

kokomoto wrote:....the hatch spar is already epoxied with RAKA. I presume sanding the spar a bit and using something like PL Premium will work for getting a good bond between the shim and spar.

Yes to scuffing it up, but Why not just use more epoxy?

Do the screws go thru the face of the spar or in from the top? If through the face, the shim will be clamped by the screws in the end anyway, so I guess it isn't that critical.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals