Our first tiny trailer build.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Our first tiny trailer build.

Postby KingAirNeal » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:28 pm

It was sealed with two coats of west systems 105 epoxy. Then sanded. My gun had too small a needle, and the epoxy was too thick. But, the disaster was the smell and overspray for the neighbors. And me being out of shape and almost falling off the ladder multiple times. And the fresh air mask not being tight enough and not having a good seal. I need to renew the elastics on the mask for the next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:33 am

Just checking, you are talking about spraying primer, right?

You're not trying to spray West System epoxy, are you? It's not intended for that. Says right in their literature not to spray it.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KingAirNeal » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:40 pm

KCStudly wrote:Just checking, you are talking about spraying primer, right?

You're not trying to spray West System epoxy, are you? It's not intended for that. Says right in their literature not to spray it.

Look back at my previous posts.

Bare baltic birch was coated with two rolled on coats of West Systems 105 epoxy.

Then sanded out with 120 grit by DA machine sander after being scrubbed with soap and water and scotch bright pads to remove the amine blush.

The plan was to spray Interlux Epoxy Primecoat, two coats, then machine sand with 220, followed by Interlux two part Perfection Polyurethane color coats, also sprayed.

It made too much of a mess of my garage and I was afraid of pissing off the neighbors with the smell.

So, going forward, we will roll on the Interlux Epoxy Primecoat, let it cure, then sand it out and then roll/tip the Perfection Two part Polyurethane color coats. It will still smell, but shouldn't be nearly as bad.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby KingAirNeal » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:57 am

Two nice thick coats of rolled on epoxy primecoat.

Top and front are sanded and ready for color. It will be silver. Rolled and tipped. I have to order a second quart of the blue for the back and sides. Hopefully the blue will go on next week. These delays waiting for paint are killing me...

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:26 am

Smooooth.

Sent from my Altair 8800 using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby KingAirNeal » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:14 pm

And the color coats begin. Gray on nose and roof. First coat on. Rolling and tipping Interlux Perfection two part polyurethane.

Second and final coat going on in an hour or so.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby Alan_H » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:29 pm

That's looking good. I'm a bit tired from a long day, and when I looked at this pic at first I was confused by what I was seeing... Then I realized that the paint is so shiny and smooth that it's reflecting the bottom of your garage door... Nice work!!

:applause:
KingAirNeal wrote:And the color coats begin. Gray on nose and roof. First coat on. Rolling and tipping Interlux Perfection two part polyurethane.

Second and final coat going on in an hour or so.

Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby KingAirNeal » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:20 pm

The gray came out ok. The blue came out like crap. Runs, drips and sags... looks ok from 50 feet, thats about it. It was a tad too cold this morning I think...

I am gonna let it dry a good long while. We are going to use it for our trips over the next few months as is, then probably this fall when it cools off, we will sand it out and probably spray it or try the roll and tip again... not sure.

Not real happy right now. Pics to follow.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Let the paint cure some. I find the easiest way to deal with runs is take a NEW single edge razor blade and hold it straight up, 90Degrees from the side and scrape down the sag. It may take a few scrapes till it gets flat. Then a minor sanding and another coat. I find the problem with just sanding, is the area around the run is getting sanded down at the same time. You will either sand through the primer or leave a divot, or both. Just my thoughts. Others may differ. Nice looking trailer either way. :thumbsup:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ELM » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:19 pm

A nib file works great for cutting off runs.Then wet sand and buff out with rubbing and polishing compound then wax. Or if you have a lot of runs you might just use the nib file and sand and give it another coat of paint. http://www.eastwood.com/painters-nib-fi ... fgodKJwGiw
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Our first tiny trailer build.

Postby KingAirNeal » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:04 am

This is far beyond a few sags and runs. This is literal thousands. The ENTIRE surface looks like melted candle wax. Also, the entire trailer is covered in dust and lint in the paint. In spite of best efforts to clean and tack off the surface before hand...

Sigh...

Well, screw it. Im tired of dealing with this build. Done. D. O. N. E. Done.
Maybe down the road we will hire a pro to sand out the whole thing and automotive base coat/clear coat the whole trailer and be done with it.

Time to put it together, get it registered and use the damn thing. I don't care what it looks like at this point. Maybe Ill just get a wrap put on it. Who knows...

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:01 am

Sorry to hear about the runs. These marine materials can be tricky to work with. The resin in my kit is thin to help it saturate the glass which means it's too thin for about anything else. Vertical surfaces just about guarantee sags and runs. I just deal with them and move on. The blade on edge method works well.

Sent from my Altair 8800 using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:29 pm

The paint looks pretty good in the picture displayed on my PC screen. A lot of people use the 3 feet rule: If it looks okay standing 3 feet away, it's good enough.

Many of us tend to fret over our builds; but in reality, no decent human is going to hassle you over it. You are probably your own worst critic.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KingAirNeal » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:50 pm

S. Heisley wrote:The paint looks pretty good in the picture displayed on my PC screen. A lot of people use the 3 feet rule: If it looks okay standing 3 feet away, it's good enough.

Many of us tend to fret over our builds; but in reality, no decent human is going to hassle you over it. You are probably your own worst critic.

Thank you very much. You are right, we are our own worst critics...

Is is so bad, you need to get about 50-75 feet away. LOL

Its a REALLY glossy 50 foot paint job! LMAO

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby KingAirNeal » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Well, we started putting it all back together. Paint is pretty rough, but still very shiny. Looks pretty good from 50+ feet away.

Lots of little screw ups here and there. Gives it character I guess. LOL

Big photo dump from the recent days progress.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals