First build on 4x8 HF trailer.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

First build on 4x8 HF trailer.

Postby Ringwood » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:21 am

I started this build a month ago. I had a 4 by 8 folding Harbor Freight trailer with a three quarter inch plywood deck that I use for hauling my ATV. I wanted to build a camper but did not want to buy another trailer. I decided to make a camper that is removable from this one.

I am working outside in a shelter logic unheated shed here in Massachusetts, so building time is growing short.

I started with a 2x3 frame for the deck. I went just wide enough to clear the fenders. I added eight 2x4 pieces to pin into the stake bed brackets so I could secure and then remove the camper from the trailer bed.

The framing was built with 1x1-1/2 pine that I ripped from 2x3s. I left the wall studs 4 feet high until I decided what the roof line would be. I used construction adhesive anywhere two pieces of wood came together and I used exterior sheetrock style screws for all the construction.

I used 1/2 inch plywood for the floor.

I have more done than this. I will add to this thread once I get some more of my picture straightened out.

Thanks for checking it out.

Ringwood
Ringwood
Teardrop Inspector

Re: First build on 4x8 HF trailer.

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:33 am

Ringwood wrote:I started this build a month ago. I had a 4 by 8 folding Harbor Freight trailer with a three quarter inch plywood deck that I use for hauling my ATV. I wanted to build a camper but did not want to buy another trailer. I decided to make a camper that is removable from this one.

I am working outside in a shelter logic unheated shed here in Massachusetts, so building time is growing short.

I started with a 2x3 frame for the deck. I went just wide enough to clear the fenders. I added eight 2x4 pieces to pin into the stake bed brackets so I could secure and then remove the camper from the trailer bed.

The framing was built with 1x1-1/2 pine that I ripped from 2x3s. I left the wall studs 4 feet high until I decided what the roof line would be. I used construction adhesive anywhere two pieces of wood came together and I used exterior sheetrock style screws for all the construction.

I used 1/2 inch plywood for the floor.

I have more done than this. I will add to this thread once I get some more of my picture straightened out.

Thanks for checking it out.

Ringwood

Looking good! Keep those pictures coming!

www.astroliner.blogspot.com
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ringwood » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:50 am

I decided I did not want a flat roof. I wanted something with a slight angle so water would not collect. Using 48 inch plywood, I tapered it down 4 inches in the front and 4 inches in the back.

I used 3/8 plywood for the exterior, again using plenty of screws and construction adhesive everywhere.

I filled in all the seams with latex / silicone caulking.

Ringwood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby chevyn0va1 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:25 pm

Ringwood wrote:I decided I did not want a flat roof. I wanted something with a slight angle so water would not collect. Using 48 inch plywood, I tapered it down 4 inches in the front and 4 inches in the back.

I used 3/8 plywood for the exterior, again using plenty of screws and construction adhesive everywhere.

I filled in all the seams with latex / silicone caulking.

Which part of mass ? RI here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chevyn0va1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby edgeau » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:56 pm

Nice work. How are you planning to remove it when you want to Gaul the ATV again?

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby Ringwood » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:45 am

I tried lifting it with a couple small scissor jacks that I had laying around. I set them on plastic milk crates for height, and it worked pretty well.

I have looked around online and found some heavy duty 24 inch scissors Jacks. I can get 4 of them for less than a hundred bucks. I think I will pick up those and it should work fine.

I could also grab a couple of those when I go camping to use for leveling the trailer. The places I go usually are on fairly unlevel ground.

An interesting thing I discovered when jacking it up, is how rigid the camper is. The door I put on has less than 1/16 inch gap all around. I lifted it up about four inches by just one corner . I checked the door and it open and close perfectly. I think having interior and exterior plywood, screwed and glued everywhere, I will not have to worry about this twisting.

More pictures to come. It's 30 degrees here this morning so I'm losing my ambition!

I just went and looked at your photo of the lift off frame. I like the jack stands you have for the scissor jack!

Did you weld them up? Nice job.
Ringwood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby swoody126 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:17 am

consider a pair of side handled swing up and/or removable tongue jacks mounted at the rear of THE BOX

you could raise the trailer tongue, block up the fwd corners

then w/ the rear jacks just lift THE BOX and roll THE ATV TRAILER out from under it

old swing sets can frequently be found in the FREE section of CL as well as on the curb AND they make good A-Frames for lifting

having a set of knee/trailer deck high 6'± long saw horses would be handy for storage when the trailer is in ATV mode

just a few random thoughts/ideas from an old man who usually finds himself working solo and having to come up with ways to play w/o help

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Ringwood » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:28 am

Thanks for the reply and some of the ideas. I like the idea of the swing up Jacks, although I have some fold down tables on the outside and along with the door frame would probably not have any good places to mount them.

"just a few random thoughts/ideas from an old man who usually finds himself working solo and having to come up with ways to play w/o help"

Sounds like how I spend most of my days!
Ringwood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby edgeau » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:59 pm

Ringwood wrote:I tried lifting it with a couple small scissor jacks that I had laying around. I set them on plastic milk crates for height, and it worked pretty well.

I have looked around online and found some heavy duty 24 inch scissors Jacks. I can get 4 of them for less than a hundred bucks. I think I will pick up those and it should work fine.

I could also grab a couple of those when I go camping to use for leveling the trailer. The places I go usually are on fairly unlevel ground.

An interesting thing I discovered when jacking it up, is how rigid the camper is. The door I put on has less than 1/16 inch gap all around. I lifted it up about four inches by just one corner . I checked the door and it open and close perfectly. I think having interior and exterior plywood, screwed and glued everywhere, I will not have to worry about this twisting.

More pictures to come. It's 30 degrees here this morning so I'm losing my ambition!

I just went and looked at your photo of the lift off frame. I like the jack stands you have for the scissor jack!

Did you weld them up? Nice job.

Thanks. Yes I did weld them from scrap steel

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Return to Build Journals