4x8 Aluminum Teardrop Build - Shootin' for <500lbs!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

4x8 Aluminum Teardrop Build - Shootin' for <500lbs!

Postby jnkdad » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:58 pm

So, continuing from my original post in the "Newbies" section, http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=67465, I decided to take a shot at building my own Teardrop. Worked up my own plans in AutoCAD similar to the shape of the "Rascal" teardrop.

4X8 Teardrop - Section.PNG
4X8 Teardrop - Section.PNG (129.95 KiB) Viewed 1111 times

4X8 Teardrop - Right Rear.PNG
4X8 Teardrop - Right Rear.PNG (583.69 KiB) Viewed 1111 times

Decided to build on the Northern Tool 4x8 Aluminum trailer and build it with 1" square aluminum tubing framing to get it as light as possible. Hoping to pull it with my motorcycle!

4x8 Teardrop Framing.PNG
4x8 Teardrop Framing.PNG (69.22 KiB) Viewed 1111 times

Got the trailer kit and aluminum stock in and started assembly. I modified it a bit; cut off the stand and castors used to fold it up and roll it away to save some weight and added stabilizer jacks to the bottom.

More to follow (can only post 3 pics at a time)
jnkdad
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 4x8 Aluminum Teardrop Build - Shootin' for <500lbs!

Postby KCStudly » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:06 am

Nice renderings. :thumbsup:

I'm curious if you have plans to shorten the rear of the chassis, or perhaps move the cabin and axle back (which would allow for a tongue box, but maybe weight control is more important... at least it would trail better with the axle back). I ask because many people find a rear bumper to be a shin knocker; several folks who feel the need for a dedicated bumper have devised clever ways to remove or drop/hinge them down and out of the way while in camp.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:40 pm

I ask because many people find a rear bumper to be a shin knocker;

I agree with KC. You'll learn to hate the frame sticking that far out.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby yrock87 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:12 pm

Looks great, although I agree with the suggestions to remove the rear bumper. or slide the cabin and axle to the rear. that would give you a longer tongue to provide better steering clearance and less tongue weight delta as you load and unload the trailer.

also, 500lbs should be easily achievable for a 4x8 I would think. just remember to build like an aircraft, not like a house. 10 lbs here and 10 lbs there add up quickly. put strength where you need it, and cut weight where you don't.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Return to Build Journals