pick up truck aluminum sleeping cab!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

pick up truck aluminum sleeping cab!

Postby jonnyo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:01 pm

After building 1 teardrop trailer.... one sloutchy and refinishing a old airstream last year, i had to find a new project for this winter!

now that i own a pickup truck, i miss the simplicity of teardrop trailer for last minute camping trip with the kids. I was looking for a small camper that would allow me to go camping in remote location. I want simple!

goal: fit F150 5.5 bed
250-300lbs total weight ( to be put on and off the truck with 2-3 friends... to legs
insulated, king size bed
Not lose any of my 5.5 cargo box for work/storage of goods
having fun building another little camper
windows on each side
26X36 teardrop trailer door
Led lighting
39 inch interior height
bed 71x76

So, bought a bunch of aluminum....about 300$ of 1.5X1.5 .039 thickness 6000 series aluminum. that s a very strong and lightweight aluminum tubing. I m tig welding everything together. Will be covered by .04 aluminum sheet, 1.5 inch pink insulation high density board.

Firs step was building a jig on a sheet of wood. This is the shape of the pod.....

Then, start putting the structure together. I have the main sides up and missing window framing and access/cargo door framing. So far so good

the structure weight about 20-25lbs at the moment.... the final frame should be in the 30-35lbs total..... it s already very rigid. the heavy part if the aluminum skin of 0.04 but using VHB tape.... it does add a lot of strengh to the cab so a good material tu use none the less. I hope i keep moving quickly so i can try a short trip before the winter ends.... nothing like winter camping!!!
jonnyo
Teardrop Master

Re: pick up truck aluminum sleeping cab!

Postby dmdc411 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:45 pm

A good idea! "Had" 05 F150 Ext cab, 6.5ft box, was thinking the samething! Built the teardrop, scrapped the truck camper idea! Looks great, will be watching. Good luck!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:53 pm

Are you going to add a small cabinet to the front as a ramp
above the cab? You may reduce air dam, resistance, that way...
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jonnyo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:57 pm

yes, i was thinking of adding a cabover rack/basket ...about 30 inch overhang with some off road lights very similar to what this company does...

if i get the shape right and keep the gap between the cab and rack small...it should help with aerodynamic

jonnyo
Teardrop Master

Return to Build Journals