Removable Foamie tear build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Removable Foamie tear build

Postby I_BE_WOOD » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi everyone, I'm starting my build and here is my general idea. I already own a single place snowmobile trailer that measures 52" by 8'4" with leaf spring suspension. I use it regularly as a utility trailer and to haul snowmobile and my ATV. That said I'm looking at making a foam type topper that looks like the Benroy style. The wife doesn't like sleeping on the ground anymore and truth be told me either. I'm thinking of using a 2x2 perimiter frame under 1.5inch foam sides and roof. No plans for any galley but small rear doors to easily access the rear portion for storage. I'm planning to post up some photos of the trailer this weekend.
I_BE_WOOD
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Removable Foamie tear build

Postby edgeau » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:55 am

Go for it. Dual purposing the trailer is really handy. I am still in the early stages of the build and I lifted it all off to do a rubbish removal run today. It takes me about 10min to unbolt, raise the teardrop and remove the trailer.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Re: Removable Foamie tear build

Postby I_BE_WOOD » Fri May 05, 2017 10:56 pm

OK all, I have been making slow progress. It has been a cold rainy spring here in MN. I have a few ideas now and am calling this my "learning trailer". I think it would be best to make the bends in the roof before you cut the side walls to profile. I went for the side walls and put on the canvas while flat and I could do that in the basement. It is hard/impossible to perfectly match the radius that I cut the side walls to with the kerfing of the roof. Learning moment number 2, I thought it would be cool to have a large side window and I thought that a conversion van side window would make a cool cheap vented window. Well... they are not flat. I thought to build up a lip/frame to set the window into. That was fine in the foam stage but it made canvasing difficult. as the canvas dried it would pull tight and pull away from the inside corners. To resolve this I had to cut out all the loose parts and overlay fresh canvas just around the window. This weekend is calling for warm weather and hopefully i can make some progress. Thanks for all the ideas and helpful tips you guys have had.
I_BE_WOOD
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals