"Mr. Grumpy's" Cheerful Companion (InTech Pursue Flyer Mods)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "Mr. Grumpy's" Cheerful Companion (InTech Max Flyer Mods

Postby lrrowe » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:36 am

Much better. Thanks..Now I can follow your progress.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby jjarret83 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:41 pm

Have you had a similar issue with thr ac condensation?Image

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
jjarret83
Teardrop Inspector

Postby G-Mac » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:27 pm

Yep, condensation and rain will collect up there. I had standing water (rained most of the weekend for us) and have never had leaks. I make sure to setup with a bit of slope to whatever end makes the most sense to drain from. Most of the time, it is the rear, but I have sloped the front slightly down due to the terrain. Don't worry about the water though... it blows away going down the road. LOL!

jjarret83 wrote:Have you had a similar issue with thr ac condensation?

Last edited by G-Mac on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
Build (Mod) Thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67873
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jjarret83 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:43 pm

G-Mac wrote:Yep, condensation and rain will collect up there. I had standing water (rained most of the weekend for us) and have never had leaks. I make sure to setup with a bit of slope to whatever end makes the most sense to drain from. Most of the time, it is the rear, but I have sloped the front slightly down due to the terrain. Don't worry about the water though... it blows away going down the road. LOL!

jjarret83 wrote:Have you had a similar issue with thr ac condensation?Image

Ok, i was curious if anyone hooked up a small hose or something, i kept a towel up top to help dry it up

jjarret83
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jjarret83 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:24 pm

what were the lights you used for the exterior? and how did you mount them.... im sure its a measure 100x before drilling into the side!
jjarret83
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jjarret83 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm

Just got this guy delivered ! Hopefully get installed this weekend!Image

jjarret83
Teardrop Inspector

Postby G-Mac » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Well, you have me stumped... I can't recall where I ordered them from. I'll keep looking and see if I can find it.

jjarret83 wrote:what were the lights you used for the exterior? and how did you mount them.... im sure its a measure 100x before drilling into the side!
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby G-Mac » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Ok, I had a chance to sit and go through some stuff to locate where I bought the exterior light. It was purchased from eTrailer.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Lighting/Optronics/ILL70CBSBAWN.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKCAjw_dTMBRBHEiwApIzn_BAXpivrbKOOvBCNUShRGs6ExAVLwYEt-MJ7B4SU7dsYymexnZFTBRoCqd0QAvD_BwE

So far, no issues with water. I've pressure washed it twice and been through several torrential downpours while parked and while driving. No leaks (be sure to silicone your wire and screw holes) and no problem with the LEDs or switch.

Hope this helps!

jjarret83 wrote:what were the lights you used for the exterior? and how did you mount them.... im sure its a measure 100x before drilling into the side!
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jjarret83 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks for the followup!!! Loving this thing so far!

jjarret83
Teardrop Inspector

Postby G-Mac » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:48 am

Just a snapshot from last weekend. We headed to the eastern shore of Virginia (over and through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel) and camped at a couple different campgrounds. Still enjoying the Flyer and looking for an opportunity to get into the mountains with it.

Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby G-Mac » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:25 pm

The latest upgrade to the Flyer is solar.

I purchased a 200W kit from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAOTUTP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and installed it today. I have a 125Ah AGM battery and I'm hoping the 200W setup will allow me to boondock for a while and still keep the refrigerator running. It's oversized to accommodate for the flat mounting and potential shade/overcast, depending on when or where we are.

I mounted the panels on top of the rack. I had to mount toward the front to prevent blocking any of the airflow from the A/C. This also allowed me to use the shortest run of wiring possible. Since the run was short, I wired the panels in parralell to optimize the charging when the sun was shining on the panels.

I ran the wiring across and down the front of the camper. I didn't want to punch a hole in the roof and snake the wires down. So I ran them down the front and in just below the battery vent.

The controller is mounted in the battery compartment, right next to the battery. There was plenty of wire with the kit, so everything heavy-duty.

And here is my inside monitor.

Now, let the sun shine!!!

Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:15 pm

G-Mac wrote:Just a snapshot from last weekend. We headed to the eastern shore of Virginia (over and through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel) and camped at a couple different campgrounds. Still enjoying the Flyer and looking for an opportunity to get into the mountains with it.

:o Gorgeous! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby G-Mac » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:22 pm

Thank you Sharon! :D
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby G-Mac » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:42 am

Just a couple updates:

Over the long weekend, we decided to put the battery and solar panels to the test. We unplugged front the house Friday and didn't use any shore power until Sunday night. The only reason I plugged us in and used shore power was because of our noisy neighbors and higher humidity. We ran the AC and got a great night's sleep. Even with the cloudy days and some rain, we were able to put enough charge back into the battery to keep going. We ran our lights and water pump like normal. I even charged watches and phones. We used a portable charger to charge the iPads, just because we had it and knew it was going to be cloudy.

One of our discoveries was that our water tank would get us through a normal 2-day trip, but not 3. When filled, it only holds about 2 gallons of water. The tank is small but convenient and (normally) is enough without refilling it. So, I wanted to make sure we had extra water capability. I had one 2.5 gallon Roto-Pax water jug on the Jeep and decided that a second would serve us well on longer trips... not to mention potential hurricane evacuation.

So I screwed up. In a rush to order and get my second jug, I ordered a 2 gallon Roto-Pax. These are slightly shorter and fatter than the 2.5 gallon Root-Pax. Two of the 2.5 gallon containers sit together and occupy the same space that an old-school Jerry Can does. The new one would not work. I hate returning things, but a $50 jug is nothing to throw in the corner or worse, the trash. So I started the return process... let' see, $11 restock fee and $18 shipping for odd size... that's more than half the cost JUST to return it! Ok, I'm going to keep it and do something with it!

I ordered the proper container and got it in a few days. Now to figure out what to do with the other one... oh! I have an idea!

Since the Flyer is not designed to handle a bunch of extra weight on its rear doors, I decided it would be best to reinforce the mounting plate. I sandwiched the door between two, 1' square sheets of plywood. This spread the load out to a much larger area and also gave a much sturdier surface to mount the Roto-Pax bracket to.

A full jug should weigh about 19'ish pounds (water weight plus the container weight). I'm confident this will hold up for many years without any issues since the load is less than 20 lbs.
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby G-Mac » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:00 am

You may have noticed some new decals in the last post. I decided to design an overlanding logo for use in different places. I had an idea and it evolved into this:

Front:

Side (both):

Large one on the rear:

Of course the Jeep matches and got a couple smaller decals on the rear windows and one (slightly failed attempt) on the hood. Still debating on re-doing the hood.

I've received a few compliments on the design and I appreciate those very much. My "creative brain" struggles constantly to overcome the stringent logic, OCD and engineering portions. Before anyone asks, I'd rather not hand out the logo in electronic or other form... at least not right now. I designed it with a future purpose and I'd like to restrict use to myself. Maybe I'll make it available later. We'll see!
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals